Season Over

Remove this Banner Ad

I know this might sound crazy But I reckon we can make it very far into the finals possibly the semis even the Prelims.

Think of it, We pinch 8th spot we can face the 5th place team and that will be either hawthorn or likely carlton or West coast. 2 possible best case scenarios can happen

I reckon if we get west coast in the 1st week we might beat them. then head into the 2nd week taking on carlton when they lose to collingwood in the 1st week of the finals. At least its better than facing geelong in the MCG.

then again we can havea 5th placed carlton in the 1st week. some how fluke a win by under a goal, hope fully west coast get no only thumped but a few injuires/suspensions in their qualifying final loss.

we face west coast with our best available 22 and we roll west coast at subiaco and they go out in straight sets.

Slim chance of any of that happening but its not the 1st time we pulled a rabbit out of a hat. I remember 2006 very well.:)

one week/game at a time Freo fans...

^^ I agree with the Maniac ^^

We can't just expect to sit back and wait for that one year where everything falls our way so we can quietly sneak up and win a flag without oiffending anyone. We'll never get there if we tried that. Winning a flag is all about imposing yourself on the competition and taking it. We need to start building that mentality, this year, starting this week. A spot in the top 8 is still up grabs and we have to grab it, pushing aside those other teams who want it too.

Looking on the bright side if I may:

In spite of our injuries we are still ahead of Essendon, North Melbourne and the Western Bulldogs - who are the other likely contenders for a top 8 spot. We have played one fewer game than these three yet we are still ahead of them.

Of the contenders for 6th - 8th spot we play 3 of them in the next 5 games. We don't need to rely on the results of other games, we just need to beat those other contenders below us and get the 4 points. It will be hard for them to overtake us given that they've still got a bye to come.

Exactly.

Im hoping we knock off carlton with mundy and sandilands back.

Hopefully beat North as well so were on 11 wins. then knock off the bulldogs at rd 24.

Hopefully North, bulldogs, demons and essendon each grab another 1-2 losses each and we keep our spot in the 8.

Let's face it, our club's finals making credibility is about on par with modern day Richmond... and next years ladder (or draft positions) should be the last things on our minds while we're still a shot at some finals experience for our promising group.

Hopefuls don't gain the experience necessary to become contenders by watching finals on tv. And if that experience comes in the form of a first round exit so be it - at least we'd be building a culture of expecting to play finals every year. Considering where we've come from that's a good start.

^^ I agree with the Maniac ^^

We can't just expect to sit back and wait for that one year where everything falls our way so we can quietly sneak up and win a flag without oiffending anyone. We'll never get there if we tried that. Winning a flag is all about imposing yourself on the competition and taking it. We need to start building that mentality, this year, starting this week. A spot in the top 8 is still up grabs and we have to grab it, pushing aside those other teams who want it too.

besides our 2011 squad is way younger than the 2008 squad we had when we had some veterans in Josh and Matty carr, Peter bell, shaun macmanus and heath black.

we had the oldest list in the AFL in 2008 and we got 14th.

we have one of the youngest list in the league and were in 8th spot. Basically what im saying is we will improve regardless where we finish but we will improve more if me play finals this season.

2012 will be a good season as that core of the guys we got in the 2008 national and rookie drafts in Hill, Ballantyne, suban, zac clarke, deboer, broughton etc will all be in their 4th season!

And thats when they hit the start of their peak of their career.:)

Yes I believe your season is over, but I think you would be very silly to tank as some of you have suggested in this thread.

Finals experience is invaluable.

If you could sneak into 6th spot, win the final in Perth then there's 2 finals for the team.

Even if its 7th or 8th then there's a final on the road.

Win or lose it's great experience.

Your list is low on finals experience as it is.

And why tank? Is there any side in the comp that's been better than Freo in finding rookie talent? I'd happily trade our first pick next year for Barlow & Mzungu. You could throw in Big Sandi too...

in the past i would have said no, we should keep playing our best side yada yada yada. however. i now subscribe to this theory. especially since the tankers up the road got extra picks for mediocrity, and got who was it darling, and maybe stevens for it. Im thinking we now have to get our sore boys fit for next year, given that we will probably lose the rest of the games left even with our best available squad, why not let the guys recouperate?

also, if we lose every game from here on, we may drop to what 12th, even with the comprimised draft pick 12 or whatever it is, is better than pick 16. might as well cut our losses on the year from hell and load up for next year

WC got Koby Stevens by trading out Mark Seaby.

It has been a difficult year as a fan.

End of the day we need to be competitive. I am going to dismiss the Hawks game due to conditions.

We should give Saints a crack (they beat GC by only 20 points), and after our belting at home we should be pretty fired up.

We match up with Carlton well, and they are not great at Subi.

Sandi comes back for Norf (if we can't beat them with Sandi then it does not look good for next year - they are in good form though).
Bulldogs in the last is certainly possible.

If we make the 8 then that we be a great sign for next year. And if we have close to a full list then we may cause a few upsets.

Now hear me out, can we realistically push for a flag this year with our depleted and then underdone stocks? I don't think so. An extended pre-season would do our list wonders. Do we concede it all now and make a stronger play for next year?

How do we make sure our cattle is fit and firing and doesn't get re-injured in preseason again? Do we ship them off to Arizona?

Can't see us winning any more games this year, especially not after watching Collingwood yesterday. As much as it pains me to say, they are scary good.

Thoughts?

I don't think we're at Game Over Man, Game Over, Yet.

It's soft to give in and throw in the towel for the season however many odds are stacked against us. Don't even bother reading opposition posters telling us we're done. It's in there teams interest to want our players to think that. There's no value in quitting.

i have had time to reflect, have come up with the "what the f... was i thinking" what the great man dale kickett say to my post :(:eek::mad:..... there is no way we should throw it in.... shit if im perpared for them to throw it in now, i might as well throw it in as a supporter, and that aint happening..... i do have faith in our list and our coaching staff, as has been said we could knock off the blues, north and bullies and get a home final. and while the recent evidence suggests we wont, im sure at the end of the day unless we get belted by 186 points, we can go to sleep knowing our boys have given their all....... if we dont make the finals this year, well we can blame tactical errors and injuries, you take away the injuries and leave tactical errors, we are probably in the 8 comfortably...... this season looked doomed from the moment mora did his knee day one of the preseason in january this year, but we grin and bear it, take the flack and give it to them all next year, and let them all be suprised at the juggernaut that is the best team in the west, the fremantle footy club :thumbsu:

this post inspired by the following

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5r74NNfQ7CE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PT42kdLXbU4

Dont forget bulldogs will of given up on finals hopes by the time we play them.
So they could be resting good players an giving youngsters a taste.

So could easily pinch that game aslong as they go over there with the rigt positive must win attitude.

I think there are a few too many things conspiring against us this week. 5 day break after slogging it out in the worst conditions just about ever seen at Subi, and if you don't think playing in the rain is harder you've never played. That game was off a 6 day break after one of the most bone crunching Derbies in recent memory.
Now we have 4 recovery days, fly on the 4th, 1 day in Melbourne and off we go again against one of the dourest, hard slogging teams on the comp on their favourite ground, playing for our spot in the 8.
If we pull this off it's season on again but if as expected we lose it will be the manner of the loss that should tell us about where the teams heads are.
I'd very much like to see them slog it out in very match that's left and make life very very difficult for Carlton, North and the rest.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We really showed fight in that second and dominated them for a little while. Need to find that mentality far more often. They obviously have it within them.

The problem is we don't have the mentality to do that for 4 quarters and unfortunately for us most of the other teams do. Even teams that have less talent than us.

North will roll us in a couple of weeks guaranteed, even though on paper we are more talented.

The problem is we don't have the mentality to do that for 4 quarters and unfortunately for us most of the other teams do. Even teams that have less talent than us.

North will roll us in a couple of weeks guaranteed, even though on paper we are more talented.

Agree 100%
Injuries aside the thing that has caused us to loose games this season is our weak mental approach.

With sandi & mundy in, I give us a huge show.We will win the clearances hands down.

Anyone see AFL 360 tonight (Aug10)?

Was quite comforting to hear panel (mainly King) praise Fremantle as a club, in particular that the list is really solid and exciting, to watch out for what we will do 2012 season full strength. Harvey given mention too as maturing as coach and getting most of difficult situation.

Just good to hear that while 2011 did not turn out as expected, the future is really bright and should be positive.

They'll post it up here maybe but if anyone could post sooner would lift a bit of the doom felt on this board. Its halfway-3/4 through when they discuss Freo.

I rate King as pretty astute too, so I was happy to hear that coming from him.

It's funny, I couldn't stand the guy when he played but he's impressed me a lot in the media. If he has any ambition of coaching I'd be stoked if we made a play for him to be an assistant.

I rate King as pretty astute too, so I was happy to hear that coming from him.

It's funny, I couldn't stand the guy when he played but he's impressed me a lot in the media. If he has any ambition of coaching I'd be stoked if we made a play for him to be an assistant.

He already had a shot at coaching at Richmond a few years back now didn't he? I also like watching him on 360 and as a boundry rider on Fox. Seems to know what he's talking about unlike a few others on there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Season Over

Remove this Banner Ad

Back