Autopsy Big Big Loss - Giants over Freo by 9 points in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Yeah, with seasons like this I reckon it is what we do next that counts.

Do we go for a quick fix and sell the farm for Bolton and co ?

Do we hold our hand with an eye on Warner?

Can we have everything?

Do we build depth via a unique draft hand and some really useful targets?..

Do we revisit the game plan over the preseason?
Honestly think it's in the margins. Not much needs to change for us to be a top-four side. If Jackson learns to mark, we win most of our close ones, if Amiss kicks straighter, ditto, if Sharp and Young don't start to tire at season's end, the same, plus plenty more. I'd be confident purely on improvements due to development and games together, but add the draft/trade capital we have, I'm extremely bullish on next year. ****, I'm even bullish on us going deep if we make finals (assuming Pearce, Treacy & possibly Darcy return).

**** me there's some doom and gloom here.

Yes this has been a frustrating season, but we're a West Coast win vs a smashed up Carlton away from needing to beat Port on our own deck. Play like we did today and I reckon that happens.

GWS are a phenomenal team. They realised that if they bombed it in they were a good chance to mark or have the smalls feast. And feast they did. Hogan may have got the goals, but it was Brent Daniels that torched us, ably helped by Jones and Greene. We barely lost an old fashioned shootout where we missed three absolute sodas, Amiss hit the opposite post with a ricochet on the line, and two stupid 50s.

Quit your crying and bemoaning how shit we are. We aren't. We've made huge strides this year (the fact we could make finals on percentage speaks volumes), and look to be bringing in some serious talent over the off-season.

Cox is coming from a long way back, but has never been the 1-v-1 guy anyway, that's Pearce.

Amiss was off on some set shots, but **** me he's a sublime talent. He'll work it out.

Young is tiring, unsurprisingly, as is Sharp.

Chappy was great today, NOD showed he may not be a write-off (could'vewon us the game), and Sturt played the best game I've seen in purple, defensively and offensively was scrapping all day.

Our structure won't change now. Reidy wasn't amazing, but he was enough for it to be a benefit coming in.

Matty Johnson was hard at it all day, such a strong kid, got to be blind not to see what he's shaping to be. Should've kicked two today, but that'll come.

I couldn't give a ** about this season. We may still make finals, **, if everyone's back, we could win it. But it'll be what it'll be. We're going to be in the mix from next year for a while, enjoy it.

On SM-G988U1 using BigFooty.com mobile app
You could play "there's always next year" on loop for some of you people

Yes, I'm doomed to keep following this garbage club due to the sunk cost fallacy, but I'm instructing my kids to follow another club. No point dooming them too. It's cruel to subject children to this.

Woe is me. My pain is to follow a football that requires no compulsory monetary contribution and only plays for about half the year.

Get a grip

It's all relative though isn't it? Look at expected trajectory, no-one was saying next year in '20, '21. We've played some irresistible football this year, and could still make finals (the dogs need to beat GWS and Carlton need to beat a Saints side that have found their mojo). We're one of the youngest sides in the comp and we've improved dramatically this year, with a draft/trade bounty to use. Why not be excited about next year?

I'm curious as to what your solution is?

It's all relative though isn't it? Look at expected trajectory, no-one was saying next year in '20, '21. We've played some irresistible football this year, and could still make finals (the dogs need to beat GWS and Carlton need to beat a Saints side that have found their mojo). We're one of the youngest sides in the comp and we've improved dramatically this year, with a draft/trade bounty to use. Why not be excited about next year?

I'm curious as to what your solution is?
Fold the club, hand the licence back to the WAFC, and let a new club emerge from the ashes.

The 30 year experiment has failed. In America when a franchise fails in their professional sport they relocate it to another city. In Britain clubs get relegated. We can't do that but I think it's time to let someone else have a go.

I would do the same to Gold Coast btw.

I’ll be back next year just like you James, but the thing is supporters like us are started to not give a ****. The club should want supporters who give a ****.

Andy and Serong are literally the only two (possibly Treacy now) who seem like players playing for the Club, Supporters and themselves. They are true patriots of the club. The rest and I’m including our captain “try” at times and do their best to win, but the difference is they are playing for themselves and their teammates only.

The three mentioned above are the ones who are playing for us, they know about the lack of success. You can tell they bleed purple. The RTB era probably didn’t have 3 guys like that…but it didn’t had to. We became a well oiled machine, strong across the board and were the ultimate professionals on the ground and in the box.

If Andy and Serong can’t inspire their teammates to play like them…we need to go down that late 2011 road again and bring that hardness back into this squad. That Essendon and Geelong games were an absolute joke and will be looked back on like losing to Demons last round 97 to make finals. The selection for Essendon/Geelong cost us our spot and it’s inexcusable.

Fold the club, hand the licence back to the WAFC, and let a new club emerge from the ashes.

The 30 year experiment has failed. In America when a franchise fails in their professional sport they relocate it to another city. In Britain clubs get relegated. We can't do that but I think it's time to let someone else have a go.

I would do the same to Gold Coast btw.
It hasn't failed though. I reckon the Bengals are fairly analogous to Freo. Nearly team. However, commercially viable (I'd argue Freo are actually one of the strongest teams financially in the comp). Unsuccessful? Fair enough. Failure? No way.

Yes, I'm doomed to keep following this garbage club due to the sunk cost fallacy, but I'm instructing my kids to follow another club. No point dooming them too. It's cruel to subject children to this.
Ah another one of those parents that thinks lawnmower parenting and wrapping kids in cotton wool is the way to go. I disagree. I think kids need to learn to deal with disappointment and develop resiliency too.

I come in peace from Orange Sydney.

For the record, based on 2024 performances Freo are DEFINITELY one of the best 8 in the comp.

It would be a real an injustice if your team don’t play finals.

Just be ready for the very-gettable Port next Sunday, because we will be putting down an unloved dog immediately prior to your game.

Happy hunting.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Hottest thing I've read in this forum in 3 weeks.

Torch them you orange babe 🧡 🧡 🧡

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ah another one of those parents that thinks lawnmower parenting and wrapping kids in cotton wool is the way to go. I disagree. I think kids need to learn to deal with disappointment and develop resiliency too.
You develop resilience in being able to take action against misfortune. Watching a bunch of clowns fail all the time doesn't do that. It's just a torturous waste of time. I'd rather they spend time learning how to deal with failure on something productive - the little spare time you get for entertainment should be entertaining.

You develop resilience in being able to take action against misfortune. Watching a bunch of clowns fail all the time doesn't do that. It's just a torturous waste of time. I'd rather they spend time learning how to deal with failure on something productive - the little spare time you get for entertainment should be entertaining.
You should lead by example maybe

Maybe Banfield is going to GWS as a free agent and he wanted to get a head start and play his first game for them yesterday.

First Crack on Fox Footy went to town on Brennan Cox. Absolutely deserved, spare me your excuses. Watch the segment and see how much of lazy, clueless liability he was

On SM-G781B using BigFooty.com mobile app

First Crack on Fox Footy went to town on Brennan Cox. Absolutely deserved, spare me your excuses. Watch the segment and see how much of lazy, clueless liability he was

No one's arguing with you about the game just played.

Really good vision on there though for whoever was asking. Was a complete ****ing mess that matchup. Wasn't injured at all. Just clueless.

Last edited:
Some finals experience would have been nice but if this group is made of the right stuff going 0 and 4 in the run home might not be a bad lesson either. For a team that has accomplished nothing in the league they sure do seem to get ahead of themselves after a few good wins and get complacent. Nothing is given in sport at the highest level and they have to be ruthless with a harder edge and take it.

LOL. It's funny how many Carltoon supporters there are in WA who were kids in the 80's & 90's. Wanted to base their support on "success" I guess.

Plenty of spoils he could have marked that brought the ball to ground for only their smalls, and one time his direct opponent, to leap onto for a score.

For those that don't have fox.. what the main take or what the vision showed that we didn't know.. we know he nowhere in the vicinity of hogan
Lot of pointing. Literally letting Hogan walk away from him to get his desired matchup on Draper. No where even in the vicinity of hogan for most of it.

I know I’ve just defended his lackadaisical attitude with ball in hand but that performance was just pure laziness. Watching that and then seeing him pretend to clutch at his hamstrings is so embarrassing

Remove this Banner Ad

Autopsy Big Big Loss - Giants over Freo by 9 points in Sydney

Remove this Banner Ad

Back