Selwood's offensive comments......

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting comments on Footy Classified already tonight.

This has been described as disgraceful by Caro for starters (she even mentioned that Essendon fans had spoken to her today and reckoned this was WORSE than Brett Montgomery telling Adam Ramanauskas that "Chemothreapy has fried your brain".)

Cop that.

a sledge is a sledge get over you morally outraged losers

No, child molestation should not be taken lightly. However, this is merely an offensive sledge on the football field and should therefore be taken as lightly as possible.

I don't know why you are concentrating on the child molestation part anyway, that is the most alleged bit of all. Des seemed more pi$$ed (judging by what that Fox cameraman said) at the $lut comment.

seek help. quickly

Headland has more respect out of this than many would think possible.

1. He defended his daughter's honour.
2. Whilst he snotted Selwood twice, he would have been totally justified in killing him.

If all that has been alleged is true - the AFL MUST take a hard line on this. De-register Selwood. No-one should be allowed to get away with allegations of paedophilia, which is what all of this amounts to.

If the AFL doesn't do it, whilst not wishing injuury on anyone, this is one time where that rule goes out the window. He'd want to hope that he has no skeletons in the closet.

I in no way condone what Selwood is reported to have said. It was extremely off colour and reflects very poorly on his character.

However, please get a little bit of perspective here. It was a sledge, admittedly a poor one, but somehow Headland would be justified in killing him. FFS, you do understand that Selwood didn't actually do what he said.
And at the time he said I f***ed her he may not of known it was his daughter, which would rule out it being an allegation of paedophilia.

To follow up with the **** jibe after he was told it was Headland's daughter was poor form though.

When was the last time a player was deregistered? If ever. Selwoods actions were poor but surely they weren't the worst ever but you want him deregistered?

Finally, if you think Selwood is the only AFL player to make such a distasteful comment you are naive.

Interesting comments on Footy Classified already tonight.

This has been described as disgraceful by Caro for starters (she even mentioned that Essendon fans had spoken to her today and reckoned this was WORSE than Brett Montgomery telling Adam Ramanauskas that "Chemothreapy has fried your brain".)

Cop that.
This isn't defending Selwood - just a fact.

If you believe a word of what this woman says then you are a fool

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and a Freo player called Kerr's daughter (if he has one) a crack w*ore and Kerr whacked him and got a 5 week suspension whether West Coast supporters would still be saying "sledging a player about their family is fair game". Something tells me they wouldn't.

As for the commenting on the tattoo crap, Paul Chapman has a tattoo of his deceased brother on one of his shoulders. I suppose you Weed Coast supporters would think it would be fair game for someone to sledge him about that too.

Then again, I guess with the culture and track record of indiscretions of Eagles players in the past, Eagle supporters would probably defend Martin Bryant too if he was an Eagles player.

If Selwood said what it is being rumored he said, then I've lost alot of respect for him...sledging is a part of life on the footy field but there needs to be boundaries and I think he's crossed one. :thumbsdown: He also has to live with the fact that everyone in the country knows what he said & his reputation will undoubtedly be damaged...and of course now he can expect to be sledged by opponents for the next 100 games because of his own sledge!

Headland is not blameless though, brain freezes like his actions aren't acceptable in professional sports, as hard as it was he needed to be the bigger man and find another way to deal with the situation...particularly since his team has a ridiculous amount of suspensions already.

P.S. Braun - that is why we make Judd do the talking, not you :eek:

I wonder if the shoe was on the other foot and a Freo player called Kerr's daughter (if he has one) a crack w*ore and Kerr whacked him and got a 5 week suspension whether West Coast supporters would still be saying "sledging a player about their family is fair game". Something tells me they wouldn't.

Strangely enough Kerr will be defending an assault charge that was a direct result of someone doing just that. (Although he did get the wrong person apparently).

Judging by the number of people justifying Headland's reaction in this thread Kerr would be thinking he's a good chance of getting a not guilty verdict.

As for the commenting on the tattoo crap, Paul Chapman has a tattoo of his deceased brother on one of his shoulders. I suppose you Weed Coast supporters would think it would be fair game for someone to sledge him about that too.

Didn't stop their coach Worsfold telling Mcguane that Millane was a 'rotting, dead dog.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Woosh was on seven news tonight and revealed that he was aware of the sequence of events. When asked if he thought the comments were over the top, he said no, not at all, and that things are often misheard on the football field.

Given that i think few people would condone such things being said about a 6 year old girl, i'm pretty satisfied that des has misconstrued something selwood has said.

I guess we'll find out later in the week. Anything till then is just speculation, and people banging on about pedophilia and the like, well, thats diagnosing a pimple as a tumor IMO.

Strangely enough Kerr will be defending an assault charge that was a direct result of someone doing just that. (Although he did get the wrong person apparently).

Judging by the number of people justifying Headland's reaction in this thread Kerr would be thinking he's a good chance of getting a not guilty verdict.
And judging by the number of people criticizing Headland's reaction, I am sure they think Kerr should be found guilty. ;)

As an eagle supporter, if Selwood said what was alleged then let Hedland off. That would make it about even...

You can't expect someone to put up with anything just because they are on the footy field.

Originally Posted by pazza
Headland has more respect out of this than many would think possible.

1. He defended his daughter's honour.
2. Whilst he snotted Selwood twice,
he would have been totally justified in killing him.

If all that has been alleged is true - the AFL MUST take a hard line on this. De-register Selwood. No-one should be allowed to get away with allegations of paedophilia, which is what all of this amounts to.

------------------------------------------------------------------------
But you already think he is guilty.

Look at everything you have written (I have highlighted) before you come up with the obligatory "IF it is true" defence.

Whilst I can respect other's venting their opinions on this issue, I will wait until there is proof one way or the other before judging Selwood's character and Headland's actions on this.

For example, Glenn McGrath's West Indian brain-fade - we all wondered what horrible things were said to Pigeon about his wife, until we found out that he started the whole thing and then overreacted.

Ok, so there's 6 million posts on here saying "if Selwood said these things he should be drawn, quartered, nailed to the cross etc etc"

Just for variety and fair play, let's talk about what would happen "if" Headland was found to be lying, bending the truth, whatever? Then what happens?

For everyone defaming Selwood now, please tell me what your thoughts towards both players would be if this was the case?

And to play the card so many others have played with regards to 'what would you do if it was your daughter?'........ What would you do if your son, brother etc was accused of something so vulgar, when he is actually innocent?

Ok, so there's 6 million posts on here saying "if Selwood said these things he should be drawn, quartered, nailed to the cross etc etc"

Just for variety and fair play, let's talk about what would happen "if" Headland was found to be lying, bending the truth, whatever? Then what happens?

For everyone defaming Selwood now, please tell me what your thoughts towards both players would be if this was the case?

And to play the card so many others have played with regards to 'what would you do if it was your daughter?'........ What would you do if your son, brother etc was accused of something so vulgar, when he is actually innocent?

Unfortunately, it then becomes a case of who do you believe because it is unlikely anybody else actually heard it.

The BF tribe will then line up on the usual sides when it comes to matters West Coast.

But to go along with your line of reasoning I suspect that Headland would have zero credibility if it was proven that he lied.

Woosh was on seven news tonight and revealed that he was aware of the sequence of events. When asked if he thought the comments were over the top, he said no, not at all, and that things are often misheard on the football field.

Given that i think few people would condone such things being said about a 6 year old girl, i'm pretty satisfied that des has misconstrued something selwood has said.
I hope for your sake your right - if however what he said was proven true, then both Selwood and Woosha are scum. How can you defend such comments is beyond me.

If Hedland was lying then he is in for a 6 week ban and will lose much respect and will cop a bagging on this site. Selwood then would be cleared.

If my son/daughter was accused of something so vulgar and they were innocent I would be doing everything in my power to clear their names. I wander what the Selwoods have to say?

Having seen the footage like most others it appears what ever was said really got under Hedland's skin. For mine most players can take the ***** being taking out of themselves and dish it out just as much. But. And its a big BUT. There are lines in the sand and if a player chooses to cross that line then there will be consequences. IMHO everyone has personal topics that touch a raw nerve. There are those that have no problem in exploiting this. So don't be surprised when there is retribution. Selwood probably thought he could get away with it - as many AFL players think they can get away with anything.

For what its worth like so many others Hedland had every right to put Selwood in his place. As I think Selwood did say what is being reported.

So lets continue with the what ifs. What if it turns out its true and witnesses concur with Hedland's account? Will Selwood come clean and admit it and cop the ramafications like a man? Or will he run and hide like the coward he is (to have said it in the 1st place).

What else can go wrong with the Eagles? What the hell is going on over there? The culture of the club must be shocking.

des lost the plot and played a sh*t game.

the comment worked.

win for selwood, win for the eagles.

in the long run Selwood might have gained himself a reputation he may never shake off, for what? to win a game of football 3 rounds into the season

anyone who has actually played footy or any sport for that matter (seems not many here do i wonder why???) would know a comment like that is just a throw away line that should just be ignored

if selwood cops anything for this it will be the biggest joke ever by the tribunal and that is saying something

it is like in a primary school playground
"he called me an idiot and said my mum was ugly"
headland was soo stupid

i actually applaud selwood it made headland react so that he had to be taken off and got him suspended

i have heard many sledges about doing sisters and mums ect.

but its a little disturbing when the person is 6 years old

Remove this Banner Ad

Selwood's offensive comments......

Remove this Banner Ad

Back