SEN -Tim WATSONS comments on Andrew Johns/Sydney papers

Remove this Banner Ad

What exactly was the intention of the thread?

To show how open minded the Melbourne sporting public are? Well, that got shot down pretty quickly.

what is the big fuss about andrew johns getting 1 page in the HS????

the sydney newspapers have probably blown a load over it

What exactly was the intention of the thread?

To show how open minded the Melbourne sporting public are? Well, that got shot down pretty quickly.

have a read through the posts. im sure you will see three or so comments that state, the intention of the thread was to point out sydneys ignorance of the AFL , as opposed to Melbournes coverage of NRL. Not a competition of which game is better.

The only reason they want to read about it, is because none of them can be bothered to got to games.

I was at a pub up here on monday wanting to watch the Dees v hawks game. I asked if it could be put on the big screen, but the publican said that there were about twenty people that requested the replay of the cowboys v wests, 2 days after it had been televised on the same channel.

I was at a pub up here on monday wanting to watch the Dees v hawks game. I asked if it could be put on the big screen, but the publican said that there were about twenty people that requested the replay of the cowboys v wests, 2 days after it had been televised on the same channel.

And?

I believe the originalintention of the thread was that victorians, as a stereotype, are far more accepting to other codes than nswmen or qlders. When I was at the pub, forced to watch a game I had already seen two days previously (great game matty bowen is a star) I thought youd never see it in victoria, where people couldnt be stuffed going to the pub on sat night to watch something live rather going monday afternoon for the replay instead of watching ANYTHING live.

Comprehende?

I'm not much of a fan of rugby league but at least I have some knowledge of the game. Something which is sadly lacking in a lot of these posts.

I guess the fact that Rugby is trying to poach League players may actually prove the talent is there. :confused:

...and the fact that all the RL guys defect back after 1-2 years proves what ?

I believe the originalintention of the thread was that victorians, as a stereotype, are far more accepting to other codes than nswmen or qlders. When I was at the pub, forced to watch a game I had already seen two days previously (great game matty bowen is a star) I thought youd never see it in victoria, where people couldnt be stuffed going to the pub on sat night to watch something live rather going monday afternoon for the replay instead of watching ANYTHING live.

Comprehende?

Nope. Your language is terrible. Trying to decipher your code, having a few dramas.

so 8 players are the basis for your poaching argument ?.
No they are the players off the top of my head who have stuck with rugby.

You just said all of them returned to league after 1-2 years.

I will let you get away with the all comment, but perhaps you would like to create a list of 8 players who have returned to league after a stint in rugby?

No they are the players off the top of my head who have stuck with rugby.

You just said all of them returned to league after 1-2 years.

I will let you get away with the all comment, but perhaps you would like to create a list of 8 players who have returned to league after a stint in rugby?

Fair enough, slight exaggeration by me.

My point being that no other sport is promoted/subsidised as heavily in Australia by supposedly "independent media" as RL is.

Take that huge support away from the game, and I think you'd find it would really struggle to stand on its own two feet.

Comprehende?

Sure do, but surely there was more then 1 screen in the whole pub?

I'll take 5 of each thanks!

That really is a stupid comment. Buckley is rated by many as the best ever Collingwood player & Hird is certainly amongst the best ever Bombers. 2 clubs that have been around for over 100 years.

I disagree. There may not be 10 but there would be 5-10 Buckley's and Hird's in every generation.

I mean look what we had in the past 10 years. Buckley, Hird, Voss, Carey were still playing or still are, still have players like Cousins, we have got Judd now who will go down as one of the best im sure. Gary Ablett retired 10 years ago, Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall under a decade ago and im sure there are other great players that i am forgetting.

I think the point is Johns is someone who many consider to be the best ever. His impact on the sport is huge. It was headlining news on BBC.co.uk. So it is pretty big. There is no AFL player at the moment that matches what Johns is/was to rugby.

That said AFL gets too little coverage in the papers. I was in Sydney for the 2003 grand final and there was barely anything in the papers on it. Disappointing really.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I disagree. There may not be 10 but there would be 5-10 Buckley's and Hird's in every generation.

I mean look what we had in the past 10 years. Buckley, Hird, Voss, Carey were still playing or still are, still have players like Cousins, we have got Judd now who will go down as one of the best im sure. Gary Ablett retired 10 years ago, Tony Lockett, Jason Dunstall under a decade ago and im sure there are other great players that i am forgetting.

I think the point is Johns is someone who many consider to be the best ever. His impact on the sport is huge. It was headlining news on BBC.co.uk. So it is pretty big. There is no AFL player at the moment that matches what Johns is/was to rugby.

That said AFL gets too little coverage in the papers. I was in Sydney for the 2003 grand final and there was barely anything in the papers on it. Disappointing really.

Timmy can't believe the crap his is saying - Andrew Johns was so good and so dominant his fame and ability transcended the code in which he triumphed. Bit like Maradona

Fair enough, slight exaggeration by me.

My point being that no other sport is promoted/subsidised as heavily in Australia by supposedly "independent media" as RL is.

Take that huge support away from the game, and I think you'd find it would really struggle to stand on its own two feet.

I wouldnt really see News Limited and Nine/PBL having bias towards RL and the NRL.

Ten and Seven promote the sh1t out of the AFL (especially in NSW & QLD). Sunrise is used as a promotional vehicle for anything on Seven (AFL V8 Supercars, Desperate Housewives).The AFL has a contract in place with News for editorials for the Swans in Sydney.

Personally I think Ten/Seven look after their investment far better then News/PBL do with the NRL

What a load of nonsense this all is. Not a single line of relevant AFL writing would have been sacrificed to fit in the additional articles about Johns. It is a positive that we get wider reporting than Sydneysiders. Look at it as reflective of the cultural differences.

If you don’t want to read the articles then fair enough. You don’t have to read the recipe or do the crossword either. I wouldn’t get too fussed with Watson either. He has to have a certain amount of things to talk about to fill in the available time and he has to pick a topic for his bin regardless of whether there is a worthy topic. Sometimes it is serious, sometimes amusing, sometime irrelevant and forced and sometimes just boring. SEN is a sports station. That is pretty hard to sustain. You are going to get some filler and some tripe. You could always listen to yesterday’s music being played again today and tomorrow if you prefer.

We have the wonderful choice of Austrerio’s boys or girls stations, assorted clones of 3XY, talk radio or inconsistent independent (is there still such a thing?) music and commentary stations. I’m glad we have a sports station to complain about.

Is Tim Watson serious?

Let's put this into perspective rugby league is played outside of Australia. It's a bloody international game. Andrew Johns was the Michael Jordan of rugby league. Joey dominated his game across the world.

As much as I enjoyed watching someone like Voss, and the current crop of stars in the AFL, we need to appreciate that AFL is our game. It is only played in Australia. They are not talking about Judd, Goodes, Jonathan Brown anywhere else in the world.

Andrew Johns is to rugby league, what Shane Warne is to cricket. INTERNATIONAL LEGEND!

The thing I found interesting from the OP was that Watson didn't blast the Sydney media, he blasted the Melbourne media for giving it coverage when AFL coverage isn't reciprocated in Sydney.

So what? Blast the Sydney papers if you like Watson, but the fact is we are in Melbourne, we are lucky to have a more balanced spread of sports in our papers and who gives a rats toss what's in the Sydney papers, we don't live there.

I hate the lack of coverage of AFL in Sydney and when I travel there with work the internet becomes my friend more than normal for footy news. But don't blast the Melbourne media for being more balanced than they are up north.

BTW, Sydney peopel, what was the coverage of the Cousins saga like up there?

Put yourself in the dumpster Watson, do us all a favour.

Remove this Banner Ad

SEN -Tim WATSONS comments on Andrew Johns/Sydney papers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back