Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Could see a Worsfold/Lyon swap.

Freo need a coach to make them relevant again and no better than Worsfold a West Coast legend who be coaching for the hated rival.
Looking at the Fremantle-Sydney scoreline, I want nothing to do with Ross Lyon. Nothing. Ross Lyon football is to sleep for. Worsfold is just as if not more effective with 1000X more entertainment. Lyon has also consistently proven that he cannot implement a gameplan that wins premierships.

Looking at the Fremantle-Sydney scoreline, I want nothing to do with Ross Lyon. Nothing. Ross Lyon football is to sleep for. Worsfold is just as if not more effective with 1000X more entertainment. Lyon has also consistently proven that he cannot implement a gameplan that wins premierships.

Come on. Two of those games could’ve gone either way. Worsfold’s premiership Eagles weren’t exactly thrill a minute.

Anyone see a lot of similarity between the style we have now and what Knights was doing?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

In a completely different era where all that stuff was a lot more novel.
I don't think it was a novelty. Even now a coach like (and i hate to say it) Clarkson will turn a press conference into spreading his own agenda. Chris astonished face Scott will turn one into trying to secure more home games. They're media darlings because they provide a story.

The only exposure we get is about performance. So we needn't be surprised that the focus swings wildly. It also generates little discussion, you either win or you lose. Adds up to less brand exposure for the club and its sponsors.

Anyone see a lot of similarity between the style we have now and what Knights was doing?
I think we have similar types of players (I.e. quick). But I think defensively we are far better.

That wasn't my point at all.

You mean like playing the Crows in Adelaide without a recognised first ruck?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

This talk about runners and John coaching from the bench had me thinking.

Do we think anything could be read into the fact that when we swing things around we are really seizing momentum in games, is the lack of runners and instruction adding to this?
There is also a bit of a feeling from some that 3 quarters of games are treading water and then the last quarter opens up and scoring occurs.
Is that part of our comebacks?
Could that be when coaches are springing the most moves? When there is no quarter time break to adjust and no runners to spread the message around?

We have heard our coaches both John and even Hird when he was here and some of our players really pushing the idea of having players that play a large number of roles.
We run with a very broad midfield group and we havnt had much fear in throwing around our KPPs these last few months. Looking at the team we have players everywhere that slot and move through the team easily.

The debate at the moment is coaches not being able to make moves with the lack of runners and control and that being repealed next year.

Will we see finals games or a team catch fire by being more flexible then usual to take advantage of momentum in games more than usual and could it be down to the lack of control by coaches.

Similar to an NFL team drilling a play but not using it all year so it isn't schemed for until they really need it.

This talk about runners and John coaching from the bench had me thinking.

Do we think anything could be read into the fact that when we swing things around we are really seizing momentum in games, is the lack of runners and instruction adding to this?
There is also a bit of a feeling from some that 3 quarters of games are treading water and then the last quarter opens up and scoring occurs.
Is that part of our comebacks?
Could that be when coaches are springing the most moves? When there is no quarter time break to adjust and no runners to spread the message around?

We have heard our coaches both John and even Hird when he was here and some of our players really pushing the idea of having players that play a large number of roles.
We run with a very broad midfield group and we havnt had much fear in throwing around our KPPs these last few months. Looking at the team we have players everywhere that slot and move through the team easily.

The debate at the moment is coaches not being able to make moves with the lack of runners and control and that being repealed next year.

Will we see finals games or a team catch fire by being more flexible then usual to take advantage of momentum in games more than usual and could it be down to the lack of control by coaches.

Similar to an NFL team drilling a play but not using it all year so it isn't schemed for until they really need it.
I think it makes sense tactically not to play all your cards early in a game (or season). But moving Hooker forward in the second quarter was almost a Hail Mary in a game that was otherwise dead by that point.

I think there’s also something to be said for Hooker and Hurley and some of the other wise heads out there who are directing traffic and know what needs to be done almost before the coach gives them the message.

We also use coloured sight boards to communicate. Apparently the yellow (?) one means “control” but whether that’s code for a set of tactics, a more defensive mindset or a pre-agreed tactic that comes into play for that particular game I’m not sure.

Without having read the past however many pages but watching us play week in, week out. I’m still not convinced he is the man to take us from where we are to that next step.

No one is convinced.

But for now, if you look at our improvement in form as a team, he’s doing a pretty good job.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coaching Staff Senior Coach: John Worsfold - Thank you John

Remove this Banner Ad

Back