Setka Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

I was just pointing out how long my day is and I didn't earn 220,it was just under 180,the year before166 and most people wouldn't do the hours construction workers do to be honest, people are lazy,I earn every cent I get and I stack it high.

Yep… need to reward people who actually make stuff … not people who check their portfolios.

I was just pointing out how long my day is and I didn't earn 220,it was just under 180,the year before166 and most people wouldn't do the hours construction workers do to be honest, people are lazy,I earn every cent I get and I stack it high.
Construction hours are pretty much around your standard 40 hours with maybe the odd bit of OT or ocassional Saturday.

Interesting to hear we get paid too much,I've worked on union sites since 1988,so I've been in the game a long time,this is my standard week,I'm a carpenter Monday to Thursday 7am to 5 pm 10 hours pay have one break at 11am for lunch
Friday 7 am to 3 pm 8 hours one break at 11am
Saturday 7am to 2.30 pm 7 hours one break at 11 am I clear just over $2800 for the week.
On RDO weeks I get high $2600 clear.
Do I get too much you tell me?
Yes you do get too much.

I have plenty of friends in construction and there's this perception that because they put in the hard manual labour that they are someone above other workers. There's plenty of other occupations that get put through the absolute wringer on a daily basis (nurses, paramedics etc.) that get a fraction of what these union workers receive. Try telling him that they don't work hard.

Yes you do get too much.

I have plenty of friends in construction and there's this perception that because they put in the hard manual labour that they are someone above other workers. There's plenty of other occupations that get put through the absolute wringer on a daily basis (nurses, paramedics etc.) that get a fraction of what these union workers receive. Try telling him that they don't work hard.
I never said nurses and paramedics don't work hard,I agree they are under paid so are police

Based on your numbers, you earn approx $220k + super.

When I look up your salary compared to others on an sbs article from this year, it says you are paid more than 97% of other people.

I also don't see why your travel to work time has anything to do with it. A lot of people travel for work and don't get paid for it.
It doesn't matter what you see. It doesnt matter what others earn. These conditions have been agreed upon and your opinion is completely irrelevant. There is a hell of a lot more private work than government work. So the attitude of "its my taxes" is laughable. Construction workers also pay tax.

The way these wages have come up over the decades is the lack of stability in the construction industry. You may have your life set with your 9-5, while construction workers could spend months without work. Without the union they would also spend months without being paid. It's also extremely difficult to maintain that physical work into old age.

The wages only become huge when overtime is worked. The builders want the over time done. They want to pay for it. It's clearly still worth their while. Developers continue to build here. They're all from Asia. It's amazing how much people hate construction workers. They'd rather Asian investors increase their profits, than than give it to the workers who break their backs to build it. Which all gets highly taxed and respent here.

Hypothetically of you build a high rise building, get half built by union eba companies, the other half by non eba, the non eba apartments will be listed and sold for the exact same price as the eba apartments.

And if you really want to get into real detail, the only parts of a build that genuinely follow eba wages is the structure (which none of you would last until smoko), licensed trades and builders labourer's.

Yes you do get too much.

What is your occupation and annual salary?

What is your occupation and annual salary?
That's not really any of your business.

I worked hard at school, hard at university and continue to work hard in my current occupation to advance my career. Just because I don't get my hands 'dirty' doesn't reduce an occupations importance in the world like some would like to believe.

That's not really any of your business.

I worked hard at school, hard at university and continue to work hard in my current occupation to advance my career. Just because I don't get my hands 'dirty' doesn't reduce an occupations importance in the world like some would like to believe.

No its not, yet you think the wages of others in an occupation you know 0 about is yours. And then have the arrogance to say someone else is over paid.

And good for you for working hard. I hope you get what your job is worth. I wouldn't say you should get paid less because drs and nurses doing get their worth.

Yes you do get too much.

Nobody in Australia disagrees that nurses and paramedics work hard and deserve more. They need to band together and make it happen.

People shouldn't be bashing others for earning a good wage. They should be upset that their own conditions aren't better and making an attempt to fix it.

The profits are going to be there either way. Would you prefer the workers to be making more or the big businesses?

Nobody in Australia disagrees that nurses and paramedics work hard and deserve more. They need to band together and make it happen.

People shouldn't be bashing others for earning a good wage. They should be upset that their own conditions aren't better and making an attempt to fix it.

The profits are going to be there either way. Would you prefer the workers to be making more or the big businesses?
Profits are not going to be there.
If big business can make 20% in say NSW or 10% in VIC, where do you think they would rather build?
If a developer can make 20% in another country or 10% in Australia, where do you think they will develop?
If your a financier and you could invest their money in the bank or stock markets for 6% per annum or put it in a construction project for 10% but takes two years to build therefore 5% per annum, where do you think the money will go?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Profits are not going to be there.
If big business can make 20% in say NSW or 10% in VIC, where do you think they would rather build?
If a developer can make 20% in another country or 10% in Australia, where do you think they will develop?
If your a financier and you could invest their money in the bank or stock markets for 6% per annum or put it in a construction project for 10% but takes two years to build therefore 5% per annum, where do you think the money will go?

That doesn't apply to Government projects at all. Things will be built regardless.

That doesn't apply to Government projects at all. Things will be built regardless.
I thought you typed big businesses?
The only big businesses in government projects are the main contractor and subcontractors.
Each of these will figure out how much their costs are and add a profit margin on top. Therefore their profit remains the same.

Yes you do get too much.

So why don’t those professions that get put through the wringer unionize properly and get the conditions they deserve?

The construction industry has shown what power of the people does. People should be taking note and fighting for better conditions instead of being spiteful. Dragging down construction workers and taking away their conditions is a win for absolute nobody except for the rich who just line their pockets even more.

So why don’t those professions that get put through the wringer unionize properly and get the conditions they deserve?

The construction industry has shown what power of the people does. People should be taking note and fighting for better conditions instead of being spiteful. Dragging down construction workers and taking away their conditions is a win for absolute nobody except for the rich who just line their pockets even more.
Who has said they want to take away construction workers conditions?

All the talk has been about stopping the CFMEU from using bikies and other standover people to limit the amount of competition. If you don't have an EBA with the CFMEU you can't tender on projects. The companies with EBA's pay money back to the CFMEU for the EBA. Some of these companies are pheonix companies (Synergy scaffolding) run by bikies or similar (Elite Cranes: Mick Gatto)

Win for nobody except tax payers money going further, jobs built faster, apartments costing less. etc.

Who has said they want to take away construction workers conditions?

All the talk has been about stopping the CFMEU from using bikies and other standover people to limit the amount of competition. If you don't have an EBA with the CFMEU you can't tender on projects. The companies with EBA's pay money back to the CFMEU for the EBA. Some of these companies are pheonix companies (Synergy scaffolding) run by bikies or similar (Elite Cranes: Mick Gatto)

Win for nobody except tax payers money going further, jobs built faster, apartments costing less. etc.
Yes, the appointed administrators have already begun attacking workers rights and conditions.

Also, this is from the ETU Facebook page.

‘We've had Royal commissions into the severe misconduct of the banking and finance sector, the Robodebt scandal, and the aged care sector. Each of these Royal commissions had DAMMING FINDINGS, yet NOT ONE person lost their job, NOT ONE company was put into administration, and NOBODY went to JAIL!

The CFMEU on the other hand - one of Australia's strongest unions, is now FORCED straight into administration on the back of a handful of rumours and allegations.

The HYPOCRISY is staggering!!’

You are 100% correct. There is no place for bikies and criminals in the construction industry. Honest, hard workers shouldn’t have to pay for it though.

Majority of the companies that do not have EBA’s treat their workers like crap. That’s the point of an EBA, to protect the workers.

I think no matter what you think of unions, or construction, I find it strange how people are not alarmed how the government can just band together, pass a made up law, and sack people without due process. Especially after the way they acted during covid.
Exactly this. It's insane from the 'party of unions', democracy right.

Can't even determine a long game here, soul has been sold

Nowhere ever from the CFMEU-stans do you see an honest explanation as to why they think locking a 19 year old kid in a shed for four hours is OK, or why they do not believe in freedom of association (which also means freedom from association).

Remove this Banner Ad

Setka Resigns

Remove this Banner Ad

Back