Setting the record straight re Port's finances - We are a net contributor financially

Remove this Banner Ad

I am similar to you aneale in my viewing on a Friday night or Sat arvo. Its not the standard of AFL (its good) but the over umpiring that drives me mad.

Can you or anyone answer me this; Can you tell me one AFL football tradition (besides the showdowns) unique to SA?

Hands in the back, chopping of the arms, interchange rule, deliberate out of bounds, deliberate rushed behinds, advantage rule, 50m penalty, sub rule all rubbish that adds nothing to game and is over umpired or poorly interpreted, none of which we have to put up with in the SANFL for the most part.

And no, there is none. The Saturday night thing which really was our thing for a long time has been lost to QLD because everyone whines about the heat so day games are basically out. Given the AFL now insists on few real clashes for telecast purposes we got bumped.

Its all become about ensuring the blockbuster games get played twice a year between each other in the prime slots leaving the non-Vic states to slug it out for the minor spots that don't lead to the 'tradition' of going to the game regularly. It's pretty easy to set you schedule to Collingwood's fixture.

There is more to tradition than ANZAC games, it can just be day to day. And I agree wholeheartedly, the AFL actually needs to be the AFL. Hold the Brownlow in Adelaide or Perth, move the draft, amazing that they did that for Gold Coast. They need to start acting like all States are part of this league and not just continually confirm its a rebadged VFL.

The AFL is considered to be the most corrupted front line national competition in the world outside of Australia, because its fixed. There is no parity with regard to fixturing and other issues. It's been 20+ years we should have seen some improvement by now.

nope they're gone. AFL traditions im talking about. The SANFL comp still has a few but what about AFL in SA?

There aren't any.

No ANZAC day games in SA
No draft ever held here
No season launch here
No Brownlow ever held here
Not enough SA legends in the "AFL" hall of fame
Never will a GF be held here (i dont like this one but agree with it)
No traditional fixturing against non SA teams ie Port v St Kilda was becoming the norm for ANZAC round but disappeared this year.
No stable timeslot for SA teams
Had the international rules game taken off us.

Nothing other than 2 showdowns each year that change from year to year as to which round they are played. I think the SA market deserves more respect than this.

agree 100% with you post :thumbsu:

I remember getting pissed of with Ch.7 for showing "classic" matches between teams and players that had no relevance to me at all when they had 100 years of history to pick from (between the SANFL and the two AFL clubs)

Hell Grenfel Dietrich Should have his own highlights like some of the VFL players get who were have the character he was or Ken Farmer kicking 100 goals for 11 seasons straight! but I digress and it is long gone history now.

Sadly the story of these types of guys will never be seen or heard of much again. Port are lucky we can perpetuate our legends of the club on a national level for hopefully generations to come. But it really irks me when guys like Ken Farmer aren't mentioned in the same breath as Coleman, Lockett, Coventry and Co.

Ive seen Grenville play many many games and I always marvelled at how he defied gravity on a weekly basis. I despise North Adelaide nowdays but still cherish the memories of watching them play back in the 80's.

2. Stadium Deal - If we had deals similar to Brisbane,

Yeah. Its much harder to put bums on seats in Adelaide.

, Geelong,

How about you move Port to the Barossa, and tell us how you go? You'll still have a better chance than Geelong does, coz the Barossa is a high income zone.

(and) GC then we would be profitable, FACT.

GC? You are now surely taking the piss. Second team in a non football state, and you moan about them having a better go at success than Port?

Face the blinding facts. Port was gifted early success on an uneven playing field. And has merrily pissed the opporunity to build on that away.

You can bleat and moan as much as you like about the fault laying elsewhere. It doesn't. The club has done jackshit to entice or welcome anyone other than the old guard Port fans. Who now, apparently, don't give much of a shit either.

care to guess how many rounds the NRL has for its 16 teams? Oh wait.

theirs has some semblance of normality about it tho'. It's not as blatantly designed to have Coll v Carl v Ess v Rich v Melbourne twice a year on every P/Hol etc.

It would be nice to see with the advent of GWS a conference like system where some parity on the draw can be achieved.

18 teams next year in 22 rounds = fixed.

Pigzarse.

The large and/or successful Clubs play each other more often. If it's fixed, its fixed AGAINST the powerhouses.

I really don't understand, with all the bleating, why The Cows and Poort don't just take their bat and ball and piss off back to SA for good.

But of course Adelaide wouldn't have a comp to play in...

FFS both Clubs were gifted early success in the big time. Now that's fixed, albeit necessary. Don't let that stop you moaning, though.

It would be nice to see with the advent of GWS a conference like system where some parity on the draw can be achieved.

So not playing half the teams AT ALL in the regular season is more level than playing everybody once and a few twice?

Perhaps try thinking it through.

So not playing half the teams AT ALL in the regular season is more level than playing everybody once and a few twice?

Conference system would provide us with a way to even it out I guess?

play everyone in your conference twice and the other conference once?

just work out the conferences!

Not at all,

you could split them into two conferences of 9. You play everyone in your conference twice (16 games) and everyone in the opposite conference once (9 games) making for a 25 game season and get rid of the now irrelevant NAB Cup. Take the top 4 in each to then make finals

Or

You could split them into 3 conference of 6. You play every one in you conference twice (10 games) and then each team in the other two conference once (12 games) keeping the 22 game season. Take the top 2 in each to then make finals.

Name the confernces after legends, Barassi, Whitten, Farmer, Blight etc, plenty of options if you actually put some thought into rather than just follow like sheep, bleating.

The club has done jackshit to entice or welcome anyone other than the old guard Port fans. Who now, apparently, don't give much of a shit either.

Firstly tell me what you know about the football governance in SA and the stadium deals the SANFL has with the AFL sides, otherwise your just a troll.

Secondly I was a North Adelaide supporter and I feel extremely unwelcome:rolleyes:

As you clearly didnt read my post and instead of discussing the issues all you want to do is throw shit, your clearly better suited to the thread on this in the bay. Off you go, tell your story walking fool.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Conference system would provide us with a way to even it out I guess?

play everyone in your conference twice and the other conference once?

just work out the conferences!

Well in that case why don't we just play the teams which will draw the biggest gate twice, and the others once?

Just the same in equity, except we generate more revenue.

Firstly tell me what you know about the football governance in SA and the stadium deals the SANFL has with the AFL sides, otherwise your just a troll.

I've deleted the more blatant insults deliberately.

Why don't YOU have a look at the stadium deals at Etihad and compare them?

You'll find that your pissy little SA Clubs are not alone in the need to put plenty of bums on seats to make money.

My own Club, back in the dark days, earned the princely sum of FORTY CENTS per patron for a home game. You cover the stadium costs and profits first, and then you start taking your cut.

Its utterly tiresome, the continual whining. You've got two freakin clubs in an entire state and still can't draw a paying crowd.

Well in that case why don't we just play the teams which will draw the biggest gate twice, and the others once?

You could do that anyway, still keep the ANZAC game, still keep the Dreamtime game, the Queens Birthday game, and even draw Carlton and Collingwood twice if you put them in the same conference.

The difference is, the draw is the draw, you know which teams you'll always play, only the order and venue will change. If you play GWS once year, alternate between home/away from year to year.

Forget the BS of bottom 8 teams playing each other more than not, you make it or you don't. Give it some credibility.

The draw should be more than pairing up teams to monopolise 'revenue', all that happens then is the Collingwood's, Essendon's etc get bigger and the North's, Port's get relegated to the dregs where their sponsors get limited exposure and they spiral in the 'doom loop'.

I don't understand any of this. west Coast and Freo pay between $4 million and $ 5 million each year to WAFC, Port pays $12 million over 3 years. All the same isn't it? You have to pay something to your organizing body. Toots you are saying you should pay nothing to SANFL? Stadium deal, licence fee call it what you want

Why is that fair to pay nothing? Football Park belongs to the SANFL, not Port you know. Much as you all bleat about Football Park and damage its and your brand (as Bucky Cunningham who is the most unlikely of things a good Port administrator noted this week) the vision of the SANFL not Port built it, you contributed 1/10th ( perhaps a bit more)

I can't believe how dismissive you Port people are of the SANFL future, a league you flourished in

Here is a suggestion, go ask Jim Stynes how to rebuild a football club financially. Bleating about the world being mean to Melbourne not part of the
blueprint

mine was as equally as pointless as yours :)

going on Crowd drawing ability doesn't help - it is all about the ratings

Again, bulldust.

The Adealaide Clubs are struggling finacially because they don't draw crowds.

And they don't draw ratings either.

Again, bulldust.

The Adealaide Clubs are struggling finacially because they don't draw crowds.

And they don't draw ratings either.

well actually they do in SA when they are doing well they pull the majority of football fans

Crowds at the moment are down - but you can see why, which happens to every club going through a downturn.

^^^

Drawing ratings in SA doesn't cut it. And many other teams draw a mob at the ground and on TV fair weather or foul.

It's a national comp, and SA is not carrying it's weight. The WA Clubs put you to shame. In fact QLD and NSW do as well.

^^^

Drawing ratings in SA doesn't cut it. And many other teams draw a mob at the ground and on TV fair weather or foul.

It's a national comp, and SA is not carrying it's weight. The WA Clubs put you to shame. In fact QLD and NSW do as well.

at this point SA is not carrying it's weight - but hey it's done its fair share over the last 20 years

We could have had the same discussion about Carlton not 5 years ago.

but I forgot, your winning again now :rolleyes:

at this point SA is not carrying it's weight - but hey it's done its fair share over the last 20 years

We could have had the same discussion about Carlton not 5 years ago.

but I forgot, your winning again now :rolleyes:

In the darkest days Carlton was still drawing 80k crowds for the big rivalrys.

Has Adelaide or Port ever even filled that bush ground you play at?

Remove this Banner Ad

Setting the record straight re Port's finances - We are a net contributor financially

Remove this Banner Ad

Back