SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Who writes Dingley's club notes? Saying they were playing with the " burden of invincibility". I think there's at least a couple of sides who certainly don't have that view.

Who writes Dingley's club notes? Saying they were playing with the " burden of invincibility". I think there's at least a couple of sides who certainly don't have that view.
They also say they have a sizeable injury list. I say 3 of your best 22 missing is not a sizeable injury list. St.Pauls currently have more out and East Bri had over 12 out on the weekend.
Maybe a few insecurities down Dingley way

They also say they have a sizeable injury list. I say 3 of your best 22 missing is not a sizeable injury list. St.Pauls currently have more out and East Bri had over 12 out on the weekend.
Maybe a few insecurities down Dingley way
Yes we do have a number out and I know EB do as well ,but over 12??Who are they?

Yes we do have a number out and I know EB do as well ,but over 12??Who are they?

16 actually.
Rayson,Reid,Marigilani & Sotriades all done for the season
plus also missing from the weekends side was Bowman,Jansen,O'Rourke,Jeffrey's,Garvey,Whyte,Percy,Hope,Bailey,Durack,Gray & Backman
Also had Widdowson from Sandringham to qualify but now injured for remainder of season and Mathieson from Frankston.
I know our 2's get bagged but I think most 2s side would be in trouble covering that plus they have their own injuries as well.

I had a chuckle too batfink. Every club has injuries (or blokes overseas), just some more than others. For much of the year we've had at least 7 out of our best 22, with some weeks that number being 12 (loss to East Malvern away).

On the weekend was the closest we've been to full strength (still 3 out), so I guess its a credit to our reserves that we are equal top.

St Kilda City have also been ravaged by injuries. Johnstone, Arvanitis, Stinear all missing for much (or all) of the season.

I don't think having 3-4 blokes out equals a sizeable injury list. We and a few other clubs would love an injury list that short!!

JBO will be fine and it a terrific venue for finals, Clayton a bit stiff not to get finals but who knows what the "real' criteria is.

Slow news day boys. Our scribe isn't too concerned about your injury lists and he/ she tries a bit of humour. We get it, sorry if you don't!

Sounds like a few of you are rolling out the excuses. EB have hardly won a 2's game for a decade, Injuries???

16 actually.
Rayson,Reid,Marigilani & Sotriades all done for the season
plus also missing from the weekends side was Bowman,Jansen,O'Rourke,Jeffrey's,Garvey,Whyte,Percy,Hope,Bailey,Durack,Gray & Backman
Also had Widdowson from Sandringham to qualify but now injured for remainder of season and Mathieson from Frankston.
I know our 2's get bagged but I think most 2s side would be in trouble covering that plus they have their own injuries as well.
Wow, ok I believe you, not that all 12 will make your best side but that's sizeable.

What division will Keysborough start in next year??

Surely Keysborough would start in Div 3.

When your sitting equal last and lose to the team directly above you by 70 points it shows how far behind they really are.
Not to mention the lack of depth, no Under 19s and their reserves have scored a total of 200 points from 15 games, thats an average of 13 points per game.

I would imagine rightfully so the SFL back in the day did everything possible to get Bentleigh back as they are a perfect fit for the SFL and that inclusion has helped all clubs in many ways but Im tipping that even though the League may have gone to Keysie in the past on this occasion Keysie may have come cap in hand, I remember reading that reason Keysie gave a few years ago was that the SFL did not have a netball comp - they well and truly do now.. They are definitely Div 2 at best though..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Slow news day boys. Our scribe isn't too concerned about your injury lists and he/ she tries a bit of humour. We get it, sorry if you don't!

Sounds like a few of you are rolling out the excuses. EB have hardly won a 2's game for a decade, Injuries???
I think they finished 6th in 2013 in the twos. Try taking out a dozen senior players and see how you'd get on. That they've fielded teams is a tick. Guessing suffering from an air of invincibility might not be a problem if you were missing Walmsley, Freeman, and 10 more and might have a flow on to the 2's as strong as they are. St.Pauls pulled your pants down and you have won 1 premiership in 60 years in senior ranks not Div 2 which is not a lot to brag about. Whilst favourite at present you're not holding the cup up yet

I would imagine rightfully so the SFL back in the day did everything possible to get Bentleigh back as they are a perfect fit for the SFL and that inclusion has helped all clubs in many ways but Im tipping that even though the League may have gone to Keysie in the past on this occasion Keysie may have come cap in hand, I remember reading that reason Keysie gave a few years ago was that the SFL did not have a netball comp - they well and truly do now.. They are definitely Div 2 at best though..

If Keysy came across they would eat most teams in Div. 2. They would regain a lot of players, supporters and sponsors due to playing locally. They have been hit with the injury stick this year like our friends at St.Pauls and East Brighton have experienced.

Lets not forget that the comp that Keysy plays in would match EFL Div. 1 except perhaps the top 3 teams although Narre Warren would play finals in Div. 1 EFL without question. The entire Casey Cardinia Comp would dominate Div. 2 EFL with the exception of Hampton Park and perhaps ROC. Keysy in the SFL is a great fit and it would be crazy to start them in Div. 3

Nos_4r2 with all due respect, no established club is going to come to the SFL if all that is on offer is Div 3.

Agree with what Mahalo said

No SFL team would get within 10 goals of Narre Warren

I agree with you but i didnt say it should be forced upon them, I know how strong CC is and I agree with Mahalo with how strong the current teams are.
Keysy is currently well behind both HP and ROC and while i think they would be competitive i dont think they would dominate div 2 in the current state they are in.

But I didnt think about regaining players from injury, sponsors and supporters so you are probably right, they would get a better following moving across and fit better into div 2.

Hows this for a hypothetical...
If Port Colts and Keysy come into the league that would boost the club count up to 32 and would mean there would be enough teams to break the league evenly into 4 divisions of 8 teams. Speaking hypothetically and ignoring the unlikelihood of this actually happening, whats everyones thoughts on 4 divs and reverting back to a 4 team finals series?

Hows this for a hypothetical...
If Port Colts and Keysy come into the league that would boost the club count up to 32 and would mean there would be enough teams to break the league evenly into 4 divisions of 8 teams. Speaking hypothetically and ignoring the unlikelihood of this actually happening, whats everyones thoughts on 4 divs and reverting back to a 4 team finals series?

Agree the likelihood of SFL going to 4 divisions of 8 teams is remote, but there are some benefits.

PROs:
*An extra finals series, generating more money for the league & another club that misses out each year (i.e. Clayton or Dingley this year)
*The league can explore the option of a two up/two down promotion/relegation system
- The race to stay out of bottom will be almost as interesting as who will make the finals
*Divisions 2 & 3 will be strengthened as a result
- will only have teams competing in a division that are prove their worth

CONs:
*Will need to have 21 round fixture i.e. teams play each other 3 times so draw won't be compromised like AFL
*Some teams will get home ground advantage twice & others only once
*Season will have to start a week earlier & finish later (if top 4 finals system implemented)
-remember would need to make room for interleague & maybe Queens Birthday as well
*Long season would mean finals venues put under pressure to prepare up coming cricket season

So in my opinion I think the negatives slightly outweigh the positives to leave it as the same system. What will be interesting is if 1 or 2 divisions has 11 teams or one has 12 teams. What a can or worms!!

The league will need to recruit some more teams if we are to go to 4 divisions though

Realistically any flawed fixture would be preferred in the lowest Division possible, but as Keysy and Port Colts, (assuming Port have left their league as Keysy have already and are joining the SFL) would not want to start in Divvy 3, here is my solution.

As There would have to be 12 teams in Divvy 2

2 conferences of 6
Playing 5 teams in the own conference twice and the other 6 teams once (16 rounds)
Top 4 teams in each conference play a final eight similar to AFL system
1st in Conf 1 Plays 2nd in conf2 ane vice versa for a spot in the PF Winners week off , Losers play winners of lower ranked finals for second chance to PF
3rd in conf 1 plays 4th in Conf 2 and vice versa to not be eliminated

This allows one more week of finals. Meaning teams would only miss one game over the season

Bottom four sides play a two week knock out comp to stay up in divvy 2 5th in Conf 1 plays 6th in Conf 2 and vice versa. Two winners play off for a spot in Divvy 2
Bottom 3 sides are relegated with one team coming up allowing for 10 in Divvy one and two the following year

After there is 10 teams in Divvy one and two I would certainly bring in a two team relegation and promotion, It works much better in the VAFA that way

Realistically any flawed fixture would be preferred in the lowest Division possible, but as Keysy and Port Colts, (assuming Port have left their league as Keysy have already and are joining the SFL) would not want to start in Divvy 3, here is my solution.

As There would have to be 12 teams in Divvy 2

2 conferences of 6
Playing 5 teams in the own conference twice and the other 6 teams once (16 rounds)
Top 4 teams in each conference play a final eight similar to AFL system
1st in Conf 1 Plays 2nd in conf2 ane vice versa for a spot in the PF Winners week off , Losers play winners of lower ranked finals for second chance to PF
3rd in conf 1 plays 4th in Conf 2 and vice versa to not be eliminated

This allows one more week of finals. Meaning teams would only miss one game over the season

Bottom four sides play a two week knock out comp to stay up in divvy 2 5th in Conf 1 plays 6th in Conf 2 and vice versa. Two winners play off for a spot in Divvy 2
Bottom 3 sides are relegated with one team coming up allowing for 10 in Divvy one and two the following year

After there is 10 teams in Divvy one and two I would certainly bring in a two team relegation and promotion, It works much better in the VAFA that way

The issue with 2 up 2 down at the moment is that is Div 2 would be too unstable, 4 of the 10 teams would change every year...thats a pretty big shake up.

If we had a 12 team div 2, thats a different story. 4 out of 12 means 8 teams stay in div 2 every year, the same as what is happening right now with 1 up 1 down.

4 divs would be good but i think a 10, 12, 10 team divsion break down with 2 up/down would be the best way to go.

The issue with 2 up 2 down at the moment is that is Div 2 would be too unstable, 4 of the 10 teams would change every year...thats a pretty big shake up.

If we had a 12 team div 2, thats a different story. 4 out of 12 means 8 teams stay in div 2 every year, the same as what is happening right now with 1 up 1 down.

4 divs would be good but i think a 10, 12, 10 team divsion break down with 2 up/down would be the best way to go.

It could be just an easy scenario with Keysborough coming into Div 2 & you's have an 11 team comp with a bye.

I like the sound of a 12 team comp but thats 22 rounds if everyone played each other twice.

What if 2 teams did infact come into the SFL & we had 2 x 11 team divisions - could still play 18 games over 20 weeks + finals - has been done before. Which 2 divisions would have 11 teams in them, I hear you ask? Well that's a whole other can of worms

Also hearing around the traps through social media that an SFL team maybe enquiring to enter a neighbouring league south of this one - watch this space

What have you heard of Hampton Park perspective?

Is it worth while flicking clubs that are unfinancial rather than unbalanced and compromised draws in whatever division you want to name. Port Colts were thrown out of the then SESFL in the late 70's after brawling in the first quarter of the Grand Final against St. Kilda City extended the quarter to over 50 minutes. Long time ago admittedly but apprehension still prevails around the Borough's second cousin. Also do they change their strip? the clash against East Malvern is obvious and I think the SFL should look at this issue overall. Currently we have Clayton and Heatherton identical, St.Pauls, and Highett very similar, Chelsea Heights and Bentleigh identical and very similar to Dingley and that's 5 out of Division 1. Time for a new policy?

Should the SFL chase a team who wears: Crows, Cats, Hawks, Swans, Power, Dockers or Tigers then as no team wears them, just to avoid jumper clashes?? Kind of hard to knock back an interested club wanting to come across just because they wear the same colours....but I see your point.

Thinking ahead if Keysborough were to make it to first division (quite possible) then they would automatically clash with St Pauls

Incidentally Chelsea heights maybe wearing a Tigers guernsey in the future as a clash strip, as it was the strip worn in the South East Gippsland League once upon a time, or so I'm told.

Remove this Banner Ad

SFL Division 1 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Back