Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

The fact that you said you would have to pry them loose by offering all of your 1st round picks implies that that they don't want to come, it's quite a deal different to trading for a needed player who has expressed a desire to land there.

Added to that is also the fact that Garlick has categorically stated that Freo aren't interested in drafting, they want to trade in players that will take you to the promised land and at this point in time Kosi isn't available and neither is Warner. Are the Dockers going to thumb their nose at securing Bolton and giving themselves a realistic shot at Warner next year? I think not.
Be prepared to lose 5 x 1st round picks over the next 3 years because that will be what it takes to lift the Dockers from obscurity to a real Premiership threat. End of the day it's a small price to pay.
lol Garlick has absolutely not categorically ruled out drafting. all he said is no excuses for being young anymore.

I get that they are contracted. But realistically Richmond wouldn't even be entertaining a trade if they really wanted to keep them
Of course we would in our position. Bolton probably isn't in our next flag, maybe in his twilight years if we did everything right from here, Rioli definetely isn't based on their age. For that reason, I think we're open to trading anyone with currency.

There's speculation we will let Balta go as a RFA next year because we will likely get pick 2 compensation back (assuming we finish last and our pick is pick 1 again).

Sometimes despite wanting to keep them, decisions might have to be made about who has currency that can help bring our next premiership, which is the goal of all the guys we're going to bring in with good picks this year.

Of course we would in our position. Bolton probably isn't in our next flag, maybe in his twilight years if we did everything right from here, Rioli definetely isn't based on their age. For that reason, I think we're open to trading anyone with currency.

There's speculation we will let Balta go as a RFA next year because we will likely get pick 2 compensation back (assuming we finish last and our pick is pick 1 again).

Sometimes despite wanting to keep them, decisions might have to be made about who has currency that can help bring our next premiership, which is the goal of all the guys we're going to bring in with good picks this year.
I think there are just players you keep at all costs. Bolton doesn't strike me as that to Richmond, especially after Ralphs comments today.

I think there are just players you keep at all costs. Bolton doesn't strike me as that to Richmond, especially after Ralphs comments today.
Agree, Bolton is worth more to us traded than he is keeping.

I've said it many times, he is not the grit guy to stay on top and motivated during a rebuild where we'll be bottom 4 for the next few years.

Cash in on a guy that makes a difference to a contender, and hopefully turn those picks into guys that can be 10-15 year players and maybe feature in our next flag.

lol Garlick has absolutely not categorically ruled out drafting. all he said is no excuses for being young anymore.
You're not good at comprehension, these are his words....

"Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick has declared the Dockers’ time to deliver is now and the club will no longer spend time looking into the future as they strive to win their first premiership."

Bend it and twist it however you like, but to me that statement smacks of no interest in the draft and a full on commitment to bring in players that will catapult Freo into Premiership contention.

Good on him too, it's exactly what Freo need to do.

"Fremantle CEO Simon Garlick has declared the Dockers’ time to deliver is now and the club will no longer spend time looking into the future as they strive to win their first premiership."

Bend it and twist it however you like, but to me that statement smacks of no interest in the draft and a full on commitment to bring in players that will catapult Freo into Premiership contention.

Mate you couldn’t even include a direct quote from him.

Mate you couldn’t even include a direct quote from him.
I don't need to though, a synopsis of what he says spells it out as plain as day, what are you not getting? The cards have been laid on the table, it's as plain as the nose on my face. They want, need and demand players that will take them to the next level, they don't want to use draft picks on young talent, the time is now.

"Fremantle chief executive Simon Garlick has promised to be as aggressive as possible at the trade table to secure more elite talent, saying his team’s poor finish to the season showed they need to add more class to the list."

How many more times does it need to be stated before Freo supporters realise that their draft picks are going to be used to trade in elite talent?

I just don't get the push back, surely you all want to be in contention and this is the right way to go about it.

"These are his words" - quotes Craig O'Donoghue. Then says someone has comprehension problems. Mad.

Now if we're actually gonna talk about his direct words, the most 'anti-draft' thing said was “It is important we be clear. The talk of our youth and the build and the sustained success and contention being a mythical place in the future is done. The time for us is now.” That just means we see the window as now, and will hopefully take actions to align with that belief. Contending teams still draft. To a large extent, they're contending because they draft.

The only thing actually said specifically about all that was “I know there is chatter that our draft hand provides us an opportunity to increase our capability in our list by established talent or through a deep draft. But make no mistake, adding a talented footballer or two will not be the silver bullet to our success. Our success will be delivered by what this playing group decides to do.”

Adding established players will obviously be the first priority. That doesn't come at any cost and isn't something that will be taken to its logical extremes. We just delisted Taberner and Hughes, who played AFL games this season and were significant parts of the WAFL premiership campaign. There are players who will be on our list next season who are worse players right now than them 2. There's a decent enough chance we draft someone who, in their first season, is a worse player than what Hughes or Tabs will be in 2025. Does that mean we're not trying to contend?

Spin it however you like, but as you quoted....

“It is important we be clear. The talk of our youth and the build and the sustained success and contention being a mythical place in the future is done. The time for us is now.”

That statement is so obviously tilted towards trading in players that I can't for the life of me understand why you lot don't get it.

The cards are well and truly on the table

Spin it however you like, but as you quoted....

“It is important we be clear. The talk of our youth and the build and the sustained success and contention being a mythical place in the future is done. The time for us is now.”

That statement is so obviously tilted towards trading in players that I can't for the life of me understand why you lot don't get it.

The cards are well and truly on the table
No mf that statement is so obviously tilted towards appeasing supporters 😭😭😭

It’s a CEO doing a speech at a b&f at a club that has been rebuilding since 2016 and who’s fans are getting impatient. Of course he’s going to say the time is now. You’re reading into nothing.

That is quite the shift from this.
Added to that is also the fact that Garlick has categorically stated that Freo aren't interested in drafting
Nobody is claiming that Freo will turn down players who want to come that will win now because they want to draft players and collect more 22under22 team placements. This statement isn't the smoking gun you're making it out to be, but that much is obvious with or without this statement.

The point is that won't come at any cost, and won't mean we just don't draft. If Richmond say "we want all 3 first rounders for Shai Bolton", Freo aren't exactly gonna say "yes pls, take those useless picks away from us, and here's a free F2 for your troubles" (even if you can basically lock in our F2 being traded). Nor does it mean we're gonna get Riley Garcia or Jack Carrol just because they're more "known quantities" than first year players.

We'll do the Bolton trade, maybe get something done on top of that, maybe even bank in an extra F1. North apparently want to trade theirs in their infinite wisdom. But I'll put it like this: I'd be very surprised if we go into the draft with 0 picks in the top 30.

That is quite the shift from this.

Nobody is claiming that Freo will turn down players who want to come that will win now because they want to draft players and collect more 22under22 team placements. This statement isn't the smoking gun you're making it out to be, but that much is obvious with or without this statement.

The point is that won't come at any cost, and won't mean we just don't draft. If Richmond say "we want all 3 first rounders for Shai Bolton", Freo aren't exactly gonna say "yes pls, take those useless picks away from us, and here's a free F2 for your troubles" (even if you can basically lock in our F2 being traded). Nor does it mean we're gonna get Riley Garcia or Jack Carrol just because they're more "known quantities" than first year players.

We'll do the Bolton trade, maybe get something done on top of that, maybe even bank in an extra F1. North apparently want to trade theirs in their infinite wisdom. But I'll put it like this: I'd be very surprised if we go into the draft with 0 picks in the top 30.

Agreed.

Garlick's comments weakens Freo's negotiating position, but it doesn't blow it out of the water entirely.

They might be pushed into deals that are, umm, 'less than might have been expected', but can still be argued for. They wont do anything that is outright stupid/bad/harmful.

Think more in terms of it adding the equivalent of a F3 to the price they need to pay rather than adding a 1st.

Agreed.

Garlick's comments weakens Freo's negotiating position, but it doesn't blow it out of the water entirely.

They might be pushed into deals that are, umm, 'less than might have been expected', but can still be argued for. They wont do anything that is outright stupid/bad/harmful.

Think more in terms of it adding the equivalent of a F3 to the price they need to pay rather than adding a 1st.
Does Ralphs comments weaken Richmonds position at all? If Richmond players thought Bolton was off doing his own thing then that's not a good look?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back