Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Sounds like he is getting pushed out. :p

On face value, Rioli isn’t worth pick 6, but if Richmond can’t extract it from the Suns – even giving a later pick back – it will be disappointed, given he is contracted.

Bolton will eventually get to Fremantle, which has picks 9 and 10.

Richmond players believed he ran his own race while he believed the game plan wasn’t clear enough.

So by round 1 next year Adem Yze and new coaching acquisition Blake Caracella will want an absolutely crystal-clear game plan identifiable to all.

Richmond can’t trade Tom Lynch – their forward line would be non-existent without him – and selling memberships might be impossible.

Jack Graham is a chance to stay, but has some interest from South Australia-based clubs given he’s a local and wavering on whether to move to Perth to join a WA team. But in a draft where the No. 1 pick is as open as at any time in the past decade Richmond has so much to do. And has so much at stake.
I’m going to take a punt and say this is a Jon Ralph article here. Not the most reliable source. Unless it’s robbo which is even worse.

That's cool

I am looking at your list and thinking that you are going nowhere.

Shai may change that, and you should pay way way overs because he is the perfect player for all the reasons I have explained

In any case its all good, I hope he stays a tiger and it sounds like most Freo fans feel the same way, so win/win.

This Freo fan hopes he comes for 2 picks.

What I don't understand on Bigfooty - why are we already on war footing with each other?

We don't disagree that Shai is a good player, we don't disagree that the price is unlikely to be a low ball offer and the draft seems to be a good one with even talent.

It's like trade period has already started and Freo have tabled a future 4th rounder and Shai is leaking stories of not coming back to Melbourne, whilst Richmond is demanding 'all your base belong to us'

I would think Freo will have an upper limit and Richmond too ....if it doesn't get done, I can see Richmond shopping him next year and Freo trying to move assets into 2025 to have a crack at Warner.

I think it gets done relatively painless - the complicating factor being there appears to be a lot of trades likely to go down and it may be hard to get on board. Actually hoping Baker picks West Coast as if it is us - it just complicates it even more.

I think it will be one of the earliest trades done. Freo have picks that the Tigers want so if it drags out it would mean other clubs are involved or Baker as well but I think he will go to West Coast.

That's cool

I am looking at your list and thinking that you are going nowhere.

Shai may change that, and you should pay way way overs because he is the perfect player for all the reasons I have explained

In any case its all good, I hope he stays a tiger and it sounds like most Freo fans feel the same way, so win/win.
Jeez you think this list is going no where? Just about the most talented young list in the AFL. Not to mention if Shai didnt come you’d be adding 3 more first round talents…

Jeez you think this list is going no where? Just about the most talented young list in the AFL. Not to mention if Shai didnt come you’d be adding 3 more first round talents…

This is why this discussion is futile

You did not make the eight, and you made the finals once since 2016.

Like I said, we are all agreeing here, hope he stays a tiger, win/win

We're not agreeing though.

Majority of fans on both sides seem to be haggling on price with a oh well if it doesn't happen we've still got Shai / picks attitude.

Certainly from a Freo viewpoint I've not seen any fans saying hope we don't get him.

Are you reading the same forums as me?

which ones?

Depends what we end up with and what are you guys putting on the table ....paying some salary or not?

Erasmus worries me ....if he was the steak knives I'd be unhappy but I think I'm probably in the minority.

At the moment you'd think our best offer would currently be 9 & 10 - I'm not the list manager so have no idea.

I want Shai at Fremantle next year. But saying this list is going nowhere is silly. We was on track to make top 4 with 4 games left. We then lose Treacy, Pearce and Darcy. Id love to see how Brisbane does if they lose Daniher, Mccinerney and Andrews.

I want Shai at Fremantle next year. But saying this list is going nowhere is silly. We was on track to make top 4 with 4 games left. We then lose Treacy, Pearce and Darcy. Id love to see how Brisbane does if they lose Daniher, Mccinerney and Andrews.

Agree going no where is an overstatement.

However watching the finals - Bolton in over Bailey would be a massive upside.

Agree going no where is an overstatement.

However watching the finals - Bolton in over Bailey would be a massive upside.
Lucky for us, from my understanding, due to having that superior Tiger DNA and cultah and just being so incredibly good, once we get him for 9 and 10 (severe unders), we will have a very good list and finally be going somewhere. Bolton is just that good.

What I don't understand on Bigfooty - why are we already on war footing with each other?

We don't disagree that Shai is a good player, we don't disagree that the price is unlikely to be a low ball offer and the draft seems to be a good one with even talent.

It's like trade period has already started and Freo have tabled a future 4th rounder and Shai is leaking stories of not coming back to Melbourne, whilst Richmond is demanding 'all your base belong to us'

I would think Freo will have an upper limit and Richmond too ....if it doesn't get done, I can see Richmond shopping him next year and Freo trying to move assets into 2025 to have a crack at Warner.

I think it gets done relatively painless - the complicating factor being there appears to be a lot of trades likely to go down and it may be hard to get on board. Actually hoping Baker picks West Coast as if it is us - it just complicates it even more.

I'm not on a war footing with anyone personally - not sure if you are referencing me, but there are certainly other posters on both sides of the debate that are on the ridiculous side of the debate.

I also agree it probably gets done relatively painlessly (though losing Shai for me is painful, he's a player you just love going to the footy to watch), as both clubs have the picks / TPP to satisfy a trade. ie we don't need anyone else involved in the trade and don't need any other trades to make it work.

I just think from what I've read that several Freo posters under rate Shai and overrate draft picks. There aren't many players that have his goal scoring record whilst also recording the time he does in the midfield. 2024 stats aren't a great representation of his talent, for some reason Yze came in and stated that Dusty would be a full time mid and Shai would mainly be a full time forward, which for those of us that watched in 2023 couldn't believe. Dusty has lost what made him such a good mid (and probably doesn't even make him that great a forward now) and was never going to be able to back up in the middle, and Shai is so much more than a small forward. Its been horrible watching him play 10m behind the last defender so often whilst the ball and pretty much every other player is in and around our D50. He's been wasted IMO this year. It happened so often that it had to be team game plans to have Shai playing there, despite what some Richmond fans have said about him "being disinterested". I go to every game in Melbourne and I haven't seen that Shai, just a guy probably a bit disillusioned having to play where he was when we were crying out for him in the midfield.

Whilst i like to think I've thought of it from both sides, I'm not sure others have.

Take Pick 9 and Pick 16 (which will slide into the 20's), would you be happy losing your best player for that price, as the footy club losing him, do you think you recruit enough talent with those picks to replace his talent, albeit for a shorter period? Its why, for me the crux of the deal has to be 9 and 10 and we'll sort the later picks out later along with TPP. Personally don't see a deal that makes sense that doesn't include those 1st 2, and as I said before about adding talent to take you to a premiership, its happened fairly regularly over the years, that I don't see Freo walking away from a deal that includes those 2 picks.

The only way I'd think we'd drop to 16 would be if someone like Simpson was included, so similar deal as 9 and 10 (similar picks back plus similar TPP), but instead of 10, it was 16 and Simpson. I'd guess Freo would give 10 in that instance, it just might depend who they have an eye on. If they want Allan then maybe not.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Its a good deal in terms of historical deals, but there is inherent risk in there. There is no guarantee that those picks become as good as Bolton as a duo, let alone if 1 fails.

This is the risk and why Richmond will demand a high deal. Regardless of what Freo fans say, they have little leverage. Sure they could walk away, and they'd be within their rights to do so if the deal was ridiculous, but 9 and 10 aren't ridiculous. After Ashcroft and potentially Battle, both of those picks will be 10+. I know people say "don't include Ashcroft as you don't have access to him", but when looking at historical drafting you can't ignore those draftees. That we didn't have access top someone doesn't take away that those picks could be the 11th and 12th best players in the draft. Once you get outside the top 10, the risks around picks making it rise, and you can clearly see that with failures in those ranges.

I get why Freo fans might not be happy with trading Picks 9 and 10 for Shai, but he is exactly what they require to improve their team. Ranked 4th for points against, only 10th for points for. He will massively improve that later stat.

Like Freo will reject any absurd demands (I regard all 3 1sts as an absurd demand), Richmond will too. They know the value of Shai, and where trading him becomes a weaker trade for us, hence why we will push for 9 and 10 as well as giving some TPP and potentially a later pick (defo won't be 21 Freo fans), but more likely to be 1 of the 3rds that we have.

This is potentially the trade that tips you over the edge to win premierships. Tigers fans know all about this, go back to 2016 and see how many supporters were pissed off about trading "draft capital" for players like Prestia and Caddy (Nank was slightly different as we hadn't had a ruck since Maric) when we "were a long way off premierships".

I see the exact same rhetoric from Freo supporters about the Bolton trade. Guess how many Tigers fans are pissed off now about those trades that were deemed to be paying overs at the time?
Obviously, but none of that is Freos problem or responsibility which many tigers supporters seem confused about.

I'm not on a war footing with anyone personally - not sure if you are referencing me, but there are certainly other posters on both sides of the debate that are on the ridiculous side of the debate.

I also agree it probably gets done relatively painlessly (though losing Shai for me is painful, he's a player you just love going to the footy to watch), as both clubs have the picks / TPP to satisfy a trade. ie we don't need anyone else involved in the trade and don't need any other trades to make it work.

I just think from what I've read that several Freo posters under rate Shai and overrate draft picks. There aren't many players that have his goal scoring record whilst also recording the time he does in the midfield. 2024 stats aren't a great representation of his talent, for some reason Yze came in and stated that Dusty would be a full time mid and Shai would mainly be a full time forward, which for those of us that watched in 2023 couldn't believe. Dusty has lost what made him such a good mid (and probably doesn't even make him that great a forward now) and was never going to be able to back up in the middle, and Shai is so much more than a small forward. Its been horrible watching him play 10m behind the last defender so often whilst the ball and pretty much every other player is in and around our D50. He's been wasted IMO this year. It happened so often that it had to be team game plans to have Shai playing there, despite what some Richmond fans have said about him "being disinterested". I go to every game in Melbourne and I haven't seen that Shai, just a guy probably a bit disillusioned having to play where he was when we were crying out for him in the midfield.

Whilst i like to think I've thought of it from both sides, I'm not sure others have.

Take Pick 9 and Pick 16 (which will slide into the 20's), would you be happy losing your best player for that price, as the footy club losing him, do you think you recruit enough talent with those picks to replace his talent, albeit for a shorter period? Its why, for me the crux of the deal has to be 9 and 10 and we'll sort the later picks out later along with TPP. Personally don't see a deal that makes sense that doesn't include those 1st 2, and as I said before about adding talent to take you to a premiership, its happened fairly regularly over the years, that I don't see Freo walking away from a deal that includes those 2 picks.

The only way I'd think we'd drop to 16 would be if someone like Simpson was included, so similar deal as 9 and 10 (similar picks back plus similar TPP), but instead of 10, it was 16 and Simpson. I'd guess Freo would give 10 in that instance, it just might depend who they have an eye on. If they want Allan then maybe not.
I think your point is reasonable on not losing your best player for 9 and 10 but there's just the principal of having to pay more than everyone else has to in these things. I understand if it happens - even with salary and like pick 28 or whatever back but it's the vibe of the thing. I wont be surprised if it's 10 or 16 either way.

No mate not referencing anyone in particular.

We could hold 10 if we had another player looking to come.

In that case, 9&16 would make sense.

I’m not saying it’s the case. Just pointing out that although you of course want the best deal, you’re looking at it purely from a one trade in trade period scenario.

Imagine we land Bolton and now Pickett requests.

Or many teams make large offers to grab pick 10 from us.

There’s numerous scenarios where we won’t want to give pick 9&10 up.

IF everything has been explored, I’d happily pay the ransom of 9&10 with stuff coming back but by all reports we’re looking at many options.

Lots to play out. 9&10 may be the deal, but certainly not early in the trade period and only after other things have been explored.

Just my opinion.

Bolton for 9 & 16

or

Bolton for 9 & 10 & Banfield

Who is Banfield?

Who he is, is irrelevent.

You should be asking what is Banfield?

Banfield has an innate ability to make your entire squad look more impressive.

Getting him in any package is going to make your recruiting team look like geniuses when you compare him with your draftees.

Banfield makes those around him look like instant upgrades and has the added bonus of being equally… as noticeable in the forward line, wing or defense.

His flexibility knows no bounds and can be used as a super sub.

Whatever is your question. Banfield is your answer.

Who he is, is irrelevent.

You should be asking what is Banfield?

Banfield has an innate ability to make your entire squad look more impressive.

Getting him in any package is going to make your recruiting team look like geniuses when you compare him with your draftees.

Banfield makes those around him look like instant upgrades and has the added bonus of being equally… as noticeable in the forward line, wing or defense.

His flexibility knows no bounds and can be used as a super sub.

Whatever is your question. Banfield is your answer.

We already have one we call ours Sonsie

Come at me haters 🥊

Best Friends Hug GIF by Rocky

Houston to Melbourne for pick 5 (i know if i was Houston I'd say no but he was keen earlier in the year)

Port trade pick 5 to Freo for picks 9 & 27

Port trade pick 9 to Gold Coast for Lukosius

Freo trade picks 5 & 16 to Richmond for Bolton

Gold Coast trade picks 6 & 12 to Richmond for Rioli + Salary

Melbourne gets Houston
Port get Lukosius & pick 27
Fremantle get Bolton
Gold Coast get Rioli
Richmond gets picks 5,6,12 & 16

Fremantle still have pick 10 plus Bolton
Gold Coast have pick 9, 20 & 26 plus Rioli

Richmond go to the draft with picks 1,5,6,12,16,21.

Keep Baker.

Come at me haters 🥊

Best Friends Hug GIF by Rocky

Houston to Melbourne for pick 5 (i know if i was Houston I'd say no but he was keen earlier in the year)

Port trade pick 5 to Freo for picks 9 & 27

Port trade pick 9 to Gold Coast for Lukosius

Freo trade picks 5 & 16 to Richmond for Bolton

Gold Coast trade picks 6 & 12 to Richmond for Rioli + Salary

Melbourne gets Houston
Port get Lukosius & pick 27
Fremantle get Bolton
Gold Coast get Rioli
Richmond gets picks 5,6,12 & 16

Fremantle still have pick 10 plus Bolton
Gold Coast have pick 9, 20 & 26 plus Rioli

Richmond go to the draft with picks 1,5,6,12,16,21.

Keep Baker.
The old, everyone gets shafted so my club wins approach. Bold

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back