Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

What does the above have to do with Houston were we have 3 Vic clubs pitching?
It has to do with you saying you'll go deal with West Coast if they have a better offer, I'm saying it won't happen because West Coast knows he wants to come to us, so they're going to back off.

Because they’re at an all you can eat buffet, and frozen with indecision about what to eat first.
Because he's contracted for four years. We aren't satisfied. It's up to you to give us a good deal, not a fair deal.

It has to do with you saying you'll go deal with West Coast if they have a better offer, I'm saying it won't happen because West Coast knows he wants to come to us, so they're going to back off.
My original post was about port not sending Houston to the highest bidder. You then said it’s like the Bolton freo situation which I said it wasn’t as you have 3 teams bidding on him. Not sure where you are going with this one.

You’re not very good at negotiating are you?
You can negotiate all you like, you aren't getting more than that. Better off taking it before Freo come to their senses.

North have offered a good deal. West coast havent.
If west coast had Richmond would deal with them as well.
It’s not that hard surely?
You know you can't send a player to a club without their agreement right?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So how do Richmond "deal with West Coast" even if they make an offer when Shai doesn't want to go there?
Well he stated he wanted to get back to WA as they needed family support. He didn’t say he needed Freo to support his family. Only that it was his preference.

So if Freo can’t be bothered to do a deal, it leaves him with one club to play for in his home state.

or to return with his family to Victoria. If Bolton realised that was his only option, I’m sure he’d adjust and the two clubs would negotiate in good faith.
For example picks 3, 14. Or even that and a 2025 first round pick for Bolton and Baker and 2024 pick 9. (Pick 9 from ESS after pick swaps for Kayo) Plenty of options
He’d be happy playing alongside Baker, Graham and under Mini Mcqualter who he already has a relationship with.

You can negotiate all you like, you aren't getting more than that. Better off taking it before Freo come to their senses.

Maybe they should chase Stringer instead then.

Doesn't matter

They still can't pick and choose where to send someone, this isn't America
Smith is a different case, he’s not wanting to get home like Bolton and Houston. He’s also not contracted. So you would sit them down and say club a has a much better deal on the table than club b. If you really want to get home you accept club a’s offer or you stay and fulfill your contract. Pretty simple really.

Smith is a different case, he’s not wanting to get home like Bolton and Houston. He’s also not contracted. So you would sit them down and say club a has a much better deal on the table than club b. If you really want to get home you accept club a’s offer or you stay and fulfill your contract. Pretty simple really
I mean it does happen, basically the Kelly trade? After a season Kelly was still traded to the same destination as he didn't want to go to freo, WCE still gave up a lot (but have since been panned for it).

I mean it does happen, basically the Kelly trade? After a season Kelly was still traded to the same destination as he didn't want to go to freo, WCE still gave up a lot (but have since been panned for it).
My point was referring to port not Richmond and Bolton. West coast aren’t currently in the conversation so it’s freo or he stays. Houston has 3 clubs wanting him. I would have thought it’s imperative of port to deal with the club who has the best offer(north) or tell him to fulfill his contract. Why send him to another direct competitor to make them stronger for a lesser deal? Makes no sense.

My point was referring to port not Richmond and Bolton. West coast aren’t currently in the conversation so it’s freo or he stays. Houston has 3 clubs wanting him. I would have thought it’s imperative of port to deal with the club who has the best offer(north) or tell him to fulfill his contract. Why send him to another direct competitor to make them stronger for a lesser deal? Makes no sense.
Yep.

I'm sick of hearing how contracts aren't worth anything these days.

Yes they are. If the club feels they are not getting a good deal for a player, then that player can stay.

Tim Kelly is a good example.

Yep.

I'm sick of hearing how contracts aren't worth anything these days.

Yes they are. If the club feels they are not getting a good deal for a player, then that player can stay.

Tim Kelly is a good example.
"Aren't worth anything" is an exaggeration, but once a club is seriously open to a trade, the "hold to contract" line is as big a bluff as Freo going "yeah we really love this draft" and seriously talking about the what if a deal doesn't get done scenario.

Reality is Richmond wouldn't entertain a trade for Bolton or Rioli if they didn't fundamentally believe it was in their best interests to get picks for the rebuild. Port wouldn't entertain a trade for Houston if they didn't presumably believe that getting Lukosius (and Richards) while being in this year's draft is better than doing only 1 of those things and holding Houston to contract. These teams aren't doing it out of the kindness of their hearts: they're coming to the table coz they think that's their best move.

"Hold to contract" is a real thing to talk about when teams are massively far apart in value or talks aren't serious. But once the teams seriously come to the negotiating table, there's a reason they did it, and that reason usually means "hold to contract" is a fairly empty threat.

I agree the player can stay

The talk about the club choosing to deal with other teams is just bs

If you want to go the player stay angle then fine but don't start talking about sending the player to whichever club is best for Richmond

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Trade Requested Shai Bolton [UFA 2028] - Wants to join the Dockers

Remove this Banner Ad

Back