Shane Clayton named in provisional squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Fantastic.

Looks like all his startling VFL form has finally seen him get another shot.

:rolleyes:

And double...

Anyone feel like a

:rolleyes: ....

How 'bout a ......

Give me a....

Ok, * deep breath *, i saved one of my biggest BF sprays of all time for this bloke a coupla minths back after trying to see him in as balanced manner as possible for years.

Now far be it for me to try and play devil's advocate. God knows Moomba has that little mantle tied up ;) , but i thought Clayton was more than reasonable for Port on Sunday and has been so for the last few weeks that i've seen him (doesnt include 2 rounds ago in Tassy).

He hasnt been amazing or anything, and to an extent the same old problems are still prevalent from time to time. But his overall intensity seems a little better and he has been getting plenty of the ball.

He is still a dumb player sometimes. Still kicks it to dumb spots. He still runs past contests sometimes and he still falls over alot. But i can also see why Laidley might be looking at him after his last few performances. He has been fair to good.

That said, i'd bring Ash Watson in over him in a heart beat.

Laidley, Shane Clayton better be removed from the Snr side, or somebody is going to scream. Me. There is one place Shane Clayton should be, on a kitchen bench in a container, in the sun- because thats where you are guaranteed to find margarine- margarine is soft after being in the sun- I think you get my drift.

I think I have made my feelings clear regarding Shane Clayton. And don't tell me to give him a break, because its not going to happen.

Go Roos

Originally posted by Carlos
Now far be it for me to try and play devil's advocate. God knows Moomba has that little mantle tied up ;) , but i thought Clayton was more than reasonable for Port on Sunday and has been so for the last few weeks that i've seen him (doesnt include 2 rounds ago in Tassy).

He didn't do much down here in Tassie as he was essentially tagged out of the game. For some reason Matty Armstrong must respect him as a player as well. The papers down here also went on about the effective tagging on the "dangerous" Shane Clayton :confused:

Originally posted by Jabba
He didn't do much down here in Tassie as he was essentially tagged out of the game. For some reason Matty Armstrong must respect him as a player as well. The papers down here also went on about the effective tagging on the "dangerous" Shane Clayton :confused:
Every VFL game i've seen him play he is tagged heavily. In fact from memory, he was double tagged against Bendigo.

Being a 15-20ish average possession, premiership player in the AFL i guess earns that "respect".

In fairness, he has always been the best of all our senior players when he gets dropped to the VFL.

Now far be it for me to try and play devil's advocate. God knows Moomba has that little mantle tied up ;)

Plenty of room on the bandwagon Carlos. ;)

Moomba

Originally posted by tashibatts
Laidley, Shane Clayton better be removed from the Snr side, or somebody is going to scream. Me. There is one place Shane Clayton should be, on a kitchen bench in a container, in the sun- because thats where you are guaranteed to find margarine- margarine is soft after being in the sun- I think you get my drift.

I think I have made my feelings clear regarding Shane Clayton. And don't tell me to give him a break, because its not going to happen.

Go Roos

In fairness, he has always been the best of all our senior players when he gets dropped to the VFL.

In terms of form?? Or in terms of copping it on the chin and getting on with the job??

I dont mind seeing Clayton in the side when we have no other options, but the fact we have Watson, Smith, S. Motlop and J Clayton, playing 2's (or 3's) who are younger, harder and quicker, and i dont see the benefit of playing Shane long term when these guys are rotting in the seconds.

Originally posted by dus
In terms of form?? Or in terms of copping it on the chin and getting on with the job??
Both. He always seems to just knuckle down and go back and do what he has to.

I remember when Grant got dropped in 2001, he went back and was reasonably good, but nothing more than what Clayton does regularly when faced witht he same scenario.

Ditto McKernan.
Originally posted by dus
I dont mind seeing Clayton in the side when we have no other options, but the fact we have Watson, Smith, S. Motlop and J Clayton, playing 2's (or 3's) who are younger, harder and quicker, and i dont see the benefit of playing Shane long term when these guys are rotting in the seconds.
You get no arguement from me on that one. All i'm saying is that i can see where Laidley's coming from with naming Clayton this week.

I'm not saying i'd have included him above any of the blokes you've mentioned though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he does get a run on Sunday I hope he repays the faith shown in him by the JYD and whether or not he should be in the team - I hope he and all of the boys put in a blinder.

And if he does play well....who's the target next week on this board?

Robbins?
Morrell?
King?
Watt?
Baird?

NorthBhoy told me at the VFL on Sunday that he'd rather have Shane Clayton in the team than David King.

I doubt I said that, but if I did, it was only due to a lack of "cooling off" period after the night before.

And I definately doubt it was in response to any piece of magic Shane was involved with on Sunday. You didn't know he was playing until he pooed his pants in front of us!!!!

Haven't seen Clayton's VFL form to be honest, so I won't knock him being rewarded for form BUT at this point in time I don't see anything in him that other players don't have, nor do I see a role for him that other players couldn't fill.

I somehow doubt he will make the cut though.

Morrell is out already, Harris should play, Teague can be important as a mid-sized defender against Melbourne's plethora of options, J.Clayton and Harding possibly fighting for one spot, and M.Stevens is someone I reckon JYD is a big rap for... limited in what he can do but hasn't been terrible in his two games.

Harding vs J.Clayton may well be the last spot decided, and I reckon it's the toughest call.

Final bench IMHO : Harris, Teague, M.Stevens, Harding
Final emerg's : Morrell, J.Clayton, S.Clayton

How do we know Morrell is out?
A mate of mine (D-Man on this forum) has been to training today and told me Morrell trained with the main group. Didn't do much but no sign of an ankle injury.

Apparently both Morrell and Rocca looked ordinary.

It was reported on 10 news last night that Digby rolled his ankle and would miss this week.

Originally posted by vlad76
How do we know Morrell is out?
A mate of mine (D-Man on this forum) has been to training today and told me Morrell trained with the main group. Didn't do much but no sign of an ankle injury.

Apparently both Morrell and Rocca looked ordinary.

As NorthBhoy said, it was mentioned on the news the other night.

I did my ankle at work a month ago (to the day, in fact), and can walk and work without discomfort, but it's still swollen and turning it certain ways is just NOT ON! Maybe light training drills don't hamper Digby, but jumping and ground impact is a worry (remember the ankle will have 90+ kilos plus the force of the impact to hold up).

Not saying it proves anything either way, but simple drills with no turning and no heavy impact may not tell the full story.

Also his form last week doesn't really warrant being included after an injury cloud and a light week on the track.

Digby is probably not a player that will bother Melbourne's defence, even as a third or fourth tall as he did against Footscray and an undermanned Brisbane. Melbourne lack genuine talls, but probably won't have trouble against a bloke of Digby's size and frame. Hale on the other hand is much taller and can't be manned up by a tall flanker - would have liked to see him included this week if fit, would have added another relief ruck option.

Originally posted by Darky
Hale on the other hand is much taller and can't be manned up by a tall flanker - would have liked to see him included this week if fit, would have added another relief ruck option.

Bah.

Clayton or Robbins can bolster our crap ruck department. Get with the program Darky.

Jeff White would have laughed himself to sleep last night.

Originally posted by NorthBhoy
Bah.

Clayton or Robbins can bolster our crap ruck department. Get with the program Darky.

Jeff White would have laughed himself to sleep last night.

I reckon we kidnap Mark Porter, and tie him up in a chair, place some very BIG speakers either side of his head, and blast MANOWAR at him at 160 decibels.

He'll be breathing fire come Sunday!

I reckon we kidnap Mark Porter, and tie him up in a chair, place some very BIG speakers either side of his head, and blast MANOWAR at him at 160 decibels.

He'll be breathing fire come Sunday!

If we did that, Laids would find him hanging from the clubroom roof on Sunday.

Brandishing a broadsword and a war hammer though! You KNOW it'd work

He could take his broadsword and his war hammer out there on Sunday and White will still laugh in his face.

It would be entertaining watching him chase White around the ground swinging a big arse sword and missing. Even if he got his legs, I would back White in the middle on his newly formed stumps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shane Clayton named in provisional squad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back