Shaw open to move - GWS the nominated club of choice post #1927

Remove this Banner Ad

Pick 15 seems about right to me. The rumour is that GFC feel the same and they're willing to trade it for him.

Of course it is right.

They aren't buying a "broken down" player who we are just trying to offload because he can no longer play football.

He is one of the best half backs in the game and his career disposal average is above 20. He has had numerous games of 30+ and the opposition are fully aware of just how good he is by always putting work into him. He is a gun and will be a gun if he landed at Geelong with instant impact and improve their side.

Then why are we getting rid of him many ask? Not because of his football talents, simply because his behavioural concerns over time have worn both parties down. He needs a fresh start and a change of scenery. He will play great football from day one, there is no question about that, hence why some of our fans don't want to send him to Geelong because we would be strengthening them even further whilst weakening ourselves in the short term.

Forget their fans not willing to part with pick 15, if he chooses Geelong, they will offer pick 15 because even they know what they will be buying. Like I said before, you don't go around offering 4yr contracts if you aren't seriously intent on landing them.

You asked who we would be willing to trade.
No way would we give up 15. I hope we dont

If opposition supporters cannot agree to what would be a fair deal, what hope do the clubs have of reaching consensus.

If the Pies rejects Geelong's trade options, there may still be a likelihood of Shaw staying at Collingwood if he knocks back the GWS offer.

If opposition supporters cannot agree to what would be a fair deal, what hope do the clubs have of reaching consensus.

If the Pies rejects Geelong's trade options, there may still be a likelihood of Shaw staying at Collingwood if he knocks back the GWS offer.
If we pull out I think he is gws bound

If we pull out I think he is gws bound

Ideally, from a selfish fan's perspective, that would be the best case scenario because the deal would be straight forward with Taylor Adams plus we wouldn't be strengthening a rival challenger for a flag.

However, if he does choose Geelong (which I suspect he will), then I believe he would have done so because Geelong would have not only committed a ncie 4yr deal to him but also in the knowledge that they could do the deal to get him there which would have to involve pick 15- and pick 15 is win-win all round.

I think we will get either Adams for Shaw or pick 15 if he chooses the Cats. I don't think Geelong will trade any half decent players for him, so a first round pick is the only option there. Not a hope in hell we will accept a 2nd round for him. Varcoe West or Hunt? Not a chance either us or GWS would go for that.
To be honest I hope that if he has no interest in GWS then we keep him, move him up the ground & get his head sorted. He is still an extremely talented footballer & the hierarchy @ the Cats know it. If he joins Taylor, Mackie, Enright & Lonergan at the Cats they will be friggin hard to stop next year.

Either way Adams will be collingwood next year. Had a combo with a mate who teaches niall and he seems to think that Shaw won't be at Collingwood this year. The club has had enough of him.

I imagine the conversation went something like.

Pies "Heater, let us know your preferred club and we'll look at doing a deal to get you there"
Heater "No worries, had a look and want to go to Cats next year"
Pies "No need to rush, have a think about it and let us know when you're back....GWS looks pretty tempting though hey"
Heater "No worries, Cats is where I want to be though!"

I imagine the conversation went something like.

Pies "Heater, let us know your preferred club and we'll look at doing a deal to get you there"
Heater "No worries, had a look and want to go to Cats next year"
Pies "No need to rush, have a think about it and let us know when you're back....GWS looks pretty tempting though hey"
Heater "No worries, Cats is where I want to be though!"

Pies: "Cats you say, you sure?"
Heater: "Yes!"
Pies: "Looks like we'll have to fulfil your contract, even if it means you play VFL for the next 2 years."
Heater: Throws standard tantrum....

You asked who we would be willing to trade.
No way would we give up 15. I hope we dont

Oh my god I hope that is the Geelong position because it makes it clear to the club and Shaw that no transaction can be accomplished meaning he goes to GWS or stays with us.

And as soon as that's clear Shaw should move to GWS to set up his financials.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

That's the way I'd play it.

It's GWS or curtains.

The other thing I'd add is putting pressure on Shaw's manager, Ben Niall.

Niall only manages Dawes and Shaw. I'd offer some stick and carrot in this transaction. Peter Jess is essentially finished as a player manager owing to his horrible mismanagement with Krakouer amongst others and Carr is not far behind him.

A win-win is Shaw getting big money and future development opportunities post his football and Niall getting a handsome % and a clean deal to launch his future career from.

A messy situation with Shaw could make things tougher for Niall than need be in the future while a neat transaction could be the launching pad for other contacts amongst young Pie players and a lucrative career as a player manager.

The Shaw name is synonymous with Collingwood and for the club to try and ship him off to GWS and undermine Heath's legacy is pretty ordinary to say the least.

Hope Bucky and Heater can resolve their differences and he plays out his remaining days with you guys.

You are made for each other. :thumbsu:

Ideally, from a selfish fan's perspective, that would be the best case scenario because the deal would be straight forward with Taylor Adams plus we wouldn't be strengthening a rival challenger for a flag.

However, if he does choose Geelong (which I suspect he will), then I believe he would have done so because Geelong would have not only committed a ncie 4yr deal to him but also in the knowledge that they could do the deal to get him there which would have to involve pick 15- and pick 15 is win-win all round.
G'day mate you seem to know your stuff.. I was just wondering what your opinion was with where Heater's body is atm? Has he lost any pace or agility? penetration in his kicking? Yada yada you get my drift.

I wasn't keen on getting Shaw when i first heard of the possibility but i must say that i'm starting to warm to it. I think his style of play would marry up really well with the way we like to play with our counter attack style of footy.

However if we were to give up our first rounder for him i would expect that our second and third rounders were upgraded cos i don't think he's worth quite that much when you take into consideration his age and the baggage that he brings. Does that seem fair to you?

G'day mate you seem to know your stuff.. I was just wondering what your opinion was with where Heater's body is atm? Has he lost any pace or agility? penetration in his kicking? Yada yada you get my drift.

I wasn't keen on getting Shaw when i first heard of the possibility but i must say that i'm starting to warm to it. I think his style of play would marry up really well with the way we like to play with our counter attack style of footy.

However if we were to give up our first rounder for him i would expect that our second and third rounders were upgraded cos i don't think he's worth quite that much when you take into consideration his age and the baggage that he brings. Does that seem fair to you?

I hope this is your clubs position because its ludicrousness is manna from heaven and will scupper any Geelong deal and leave us with an Adams/Shaw deal.

I want Shaw and would be happy to give up pick 15. My only concern is that for such a fantastic player and a guy who's not overly paid compared to some in this competition, that there is not more clubs climbing over each other to sign him. Maybe the stories about his behavior are actually worse than the general population is aware of.

Not that you asked me, but my impression of Shaw is he has lost a bit of pace in the last two years and was definitely not right in the first half of this year. He was getting back to his best when he lost his head vs Port. That was weird: usually his brainfades are skill errors like an unforced OOB. He wasn't a happy boy, the tension with the coach may have made him even more volatile and shouty than usual.

His well documented behavior may be related to his diagnosed ADD. He's allowed to take amphetamines to treat his condition but doesn't. His attention flicks all over the joint, its actually a help as he seems to assess all options in a blink but he then bows off steam at team-mates when things go wrong because he seems to realize 27 things that could've been done better and he has to yell them all out.

Sadly this is true. He has insane intensity, very good disposal (you have to figure in one OOB/other brainfade a match), is better than average one-on-one (weakest part of his pretty solid repertoire) and when it gets hot he shines. Loves pressure, eats it for breakfast. Won't replace Hunt directly but will help replace the many games your defense has shed in recent years.

You may get that as we have some domino trades to push through and Shaw is allegedly not staying no matter what.

Your one worry will be his relationship with the Coach. Malthouse was very cosy with the boys in a frowny way ("you idiot! I love youse!"), not a cold pro like Bucks("move to position A and assess the spread"). Is Scott blokey/bogan enough to reach Shaw? If he tries to be intellectual he'll lose Heater.

I'd do it but mainly due to us on trading the 2nd rounder and probably not using the 3rd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Shaw open to move - GWS the nominated club of choice post #1927

Remove this Banner Ad

Back