Sheahan's Top 50: Franklin No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy at 1 apparently, along with Cyril and Hodge in the top 50.
Burgoyne is also in at 21.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/mikes-top-50/story-e6frf9jf-1226021193968
OF all the superbly skilled players in the AFL, including two or three all-time greats, only one is capable of consistently turning a game on his exploits alone.

The special one is the Hawthorn superstar Lance "Buddy" Franklin, who plays key forward like a svelte midfielder in a ruckman's frame.

We saw it all in 2008 when he kicked 113 goals and won the club's best and fairest in a premiership year, a rare feat by a forward in an era in which the midfielder is gold.

Hahahahaha can't wait for the shit-storm after this gets officially released. I think they're fair calls considering it's a prediction for the end of 2011 and that's why Buddy should be no. 1 after his dominant pre-season. For the same reason though I don't think Hodge will be top 10 at the end of the season.

A lot of people are already ridaculling Sheehan for putting a person who I quote "has done nothing since 2008".

What they forget is that with incomplete seasons (from memory 19 and 20 games so not full years) he has come 3rd and 2nd in Hawks B&F, plus he was all Australian last year, and had the highest per goal average per game (Higher than Reiwoldt's).

And that was in a team where the mid field has been spluttering, and game plan has been outdated.

Hodge, may be slightly to high, because of injury interrupted preseason. If he had ano injuries would be top half dozen, but with the achillies - which can trouble some one all year, it could curb his year - I am hoping that the medical/coaching people are just been ultra conservative rather than what is worrying me and Hodge not playing any preseason games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Re Sheahan's lists. Really who cares. Normally he gets it wrong, I am not going to praise him because he includes a few Golden Hawks in his list.

IMO as far as his football cred's go, he is a knob of the highest order.

Not surprised sheehan has buddy at No1 for potential.

Hope it will help his focus and the increased visibility may mean he gets a better go from umpires.

BTW how did harry O get in the top 50?

this is not going to go down well... if there was ever going to be a player to split the competition across party lines its Franklin. Hawks supporters on one side, the other 16 clubs on the other.

Bring it on...

So true, opposition supporters love to hate and rubbish him due to pure jealousy!

Probably just biased but I honestly can't understand how people can rate Goddard ahead of Hodge.

What aspect of Goddard's game is better?

You could say the same for Judd too. But i guess low disposal efficiency is overlooked when a player can run with the ball. Running with the ball is so much more important than hitting the target.

BTW if u factor in experience, i'd take Stratton every day of the week over holier-than-thou Harry.

The man does have a couple of deficiencies in his game - but the perception that he's a lazy footballer, etc is just rubbish.

Not to mention the fantasy that he is inconsistent... For a forward to be as consistent as Franklin is remarkable considering that he has to rely on the miss to deliver the ball to him...

Dont understand what peoples problem is with Rioli being in the top 20. Its my understandign that he picks it on who he think would be the most dominant players. Personaly (biased) im surprised he didnt have Franklin and Rioli at 1 & 2 for potential to dominate the season.

Correct Buddys A game is the best, however if sam mitchell is not a better footballer than jobe watson then Mike Sheehan is watching a different game than what I am watching. Mitchell is probably the most underated guys in the game, but not by rival coaches though, close to being in the top 10 for mine.

Sheahan's Top 50: Burgoyne No. 21

Was interested to read further down Sheahan's Top 50 List and spot Burgers at No. 21.

Personally, I don't think Sheahan is as clueless as some Big Footy types would have you believe.

Burgoyne played in 16 games for Hawthorn last year, for the record of 11 wins, 4 losses and a draw. For Hawthorn as a team, that's position 1-3 on the ladder pace. I don't think Burgoyne's inclusion in the team after round 8 was a coincidence.

The last almost full year he had at Poort (pre-knee), they made the Grand Final in 2007.

Averaged 21 disposals per game last year. Was incredibly impressed with his clearance work around the stoppages.

Expecting a big year for Burgers. Just like Bailey, hoping that dodgy knee of his stands up. The perfect complement for the in and under types of Mitchell, Sewell, Lewis etc in the middle.

Remove this Banner Ad

Sheahan's Top 50: Franklin No.1

Remove this Banner Ad

Back