Preview Round 18, 2024 : Hawks v Dockers, 1:45pm Sat 13th July, UTAS

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sic back is huge for our chances at winning (and making the finals in general). Dear also gives our forward line a unique flavour with a 6 foot 6 guy who chases and tackles like a small forward.

Happy to see Ward get a chance as he has earned it the hard way.

Personally I would have kept Gunners in and omitted Bruest but that's neither here nor there.

Interesting we have elected to go with the extra mids this week with Ward in for a forward. Pretty versatile line up with Morrison also included.

Interesting to see who lines up on what line. A big game for Amon & Jiath to bounce back 🤞.

Happy with the changes. Really hope Ward gets a share of midfield time, no point bringing him in to play flank or wing.

I am concerned about this one, the dockers are about where we want to be in two years. Never know down in Tassie but they are absolutely flying at the moment and we had a shocker last week.

Good changes. Assuming Harry goes back, Hardwick forward, Breust sub.

Only thing that makes me a bit nervous is the two tall forward structure. Leaves us rather small when one is on the bench.

With Pierce not getting up for the game I'm less worried. Harwick playing forward has the running patterns of a 3rd tall and the body work to play 'taller' than he is.

I'm super happy to see Ward back in the side, he's earned his spot and I hope he maintains his VFL form.

Backline and forward line looks good. Right decision to drop Mitchell. Right time for Ward to get another shot. Not sure I like Ward and Morrison in the same side though. Bruest sub you’d expect. We look up for it this week, hopefully it plays out that way on the field!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reckon bruest starts with ginni and jack out. Massive for him in the context of 2025 if that’s even something he wants - another shocker and it looks done. Im backing one of my all time favorites to kick 4+.

That means ward or harry as sub, my vote is harry, give ward 4 quarters and harry can play multiple roles.

Good to see Ward back.hope he has a blinder. Pleased that Gunners has been managed, as him and Breust are at that stage where they need the breaks.

Awesome to see Calsher back in, looking forward to his attack of the ball.

Question as a non Hawthorn supporter:

How do you feel Ward has developed for an early pick?

I'm not trying to cause a stir or anything. I really liked the kid as a junior and wish we had him but do you feel he is being under utilised or not transitioning to the big stage as he racks the ball up like crazy in the reserves.

Or is that you guys have a few of his style like Newcombe and Day

Don't be surprised Dimma plays as a defensive forward on Ryan. He is their Sicily and a very good version. Keep him quiet it exposes their backline a bit without Pearce marshalling things down there. Midfield battle should be a cracker.

I'm not trying to cause a stir or anything. I really liked the kid as a junior and wish we had him but do you feel he is being under utilised or not transitioning to the big stage as he racks the ball up like crazy in the reserves.

The jury is still out. Couldn't find his feet at AFL level as an outside mid. Couldn't get a look in as a inside mid.
Went back to the VFL and has been consistently good as a centre bounce mid.
We are praying he will adapt to AFL but his contested ball work and ability to hurt with ball in hand are so far holding him back.
He is young, there is still hope.

struggling to break into the inside mid rotation given Newk Day Worpel and Nash, has played on a wing (out of position) but not as effective there. sent to the twos to work on making his disposal more incisive and to work on his contest. easily averaging around 30 touches as an inside mid as box hill. he is absolutely an AFL player – how good he is and is he worth a top 5 (7?) pick is still yet to be determined but hardly a "bust" either

His first season was good, his second season was solid with reasonable improvement, but so far his third season has been disappointing and he’s found him behind a few currently better players. Thats why he’s been playing VFL. He’s gone back to that level with a good attitude, worked hard and earned a recall. Hopefully this gets him back on track.

Take out the early pick consideration and he’s going fine for a third year player. Not shooting the lights out but showed enough in his first two years to suggest he should make it and is very professional and of good character. I’m confident he will make it as a long term league footballer. Less confident he will be a star but he still has a lot of time.

Talent wise he’s top of the top, it’s just about having confidence in his own ability. This was done through going to VFL level to also work on his craft at stoppages. Has done a pretty good role on the wing but he is way too talented to just be a role player, so he was taken out to maximise this and the learnings, worked his way back in and will hopefully click and not look back.

struggling to break into the inside mid rotation given Newk Day Worpel and Nash, has played on a wing (out of position) but not as effective there. sent to the twos to work on making his disposal more incisive and to work on his contest. easily averaging around 30 touches as an inside mid as box hill. he is absolutely an AFL player – how good he is and is he worth a top 5 (7?) pick is still yet to be determined but hardly a "bust" either
He is certainly a beauty of a player

If you look at his first season he was putting up decent numbers, distant second to Daicos from that draft in terms of midfield work - but from there he's been really unlucky imo. He had a few concussion issues early, and a lingering groin issue which really hindered him from being able to cement a spot in the side. Now he needs to try to find a spot around a relatively settled midfield group and he's having some trouble.

He'll still make it, just a bit of a slower burn.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back