Giants FC

Premiership Player
Aug 2, 2005
Greater Western Sydney
AFL Club
GWS
Other Teams
Sydney FC, Sydney Kings, NSW
THE AFL has pounced on a free shot to woo 200,000 potential fans on the doorstep of their new battlefield after the NRL turned down the same opportunity.
Greater Western Sydney coach Kevin Sheedy will press the flesh en masse at next weekend's mega V8 Supercars grand finale.

Source - Daily Telegraph

I'm not a big motor racing fan; but with a substantial number of sports fans there, and I would guess many of them would have heard of GWS but wouldn't yet know a lot about the new team - it's a good opportunity to get the GWS name out there.
The team won't be playing for a couple of years yet, but it's a chance to build brand awareness and show that GWS is serious about becoming a part of the sporting scene in West Sydney.

Good idea by the GWS people to do this. As the team gets closer to becoming a reality over the next couple of years, hopefully this will be a regular thing. Particularly for the December 2011 race, hopefully we can sell some 2012 memberships.

Excellent initiative shown by the AFL and GWS. I hope they do something similar at the Royal Easter Show too. How about an AFL showbag at the show. :thumbsu:

Wasn't there myself but noted another smart arsed article from that so-called "Sports Editor" Rothfield in the Sunday paper saying that Souths had a stall that had kids flocking to it all day while the GWS stall had virtually nobody.

Mind you, this would have been on the Saturday, the day before Sheeds was there and notwithstanding the fact that Souths would be the most popular club in the NRL.

This guy's hate filled agenda knows no bounds :rolleyes:

bahahaha. They have a celebrity but geeez they're not even close to the biggest.

Not sure what you're laughing at mate, if you honestly think that Souths "are not even close" to having the biggest supporter base in the NRL you haven't got a clue, especially amongst Sydney clubs which is what I was referring to given that the race was in Sydney.

Just have a look at their membership figures compared to other clubs, pathetic as they are.

As at June 2009, the Rabbitohs had the highest football club membership in the National Rugby League, with total membership exceeding 15,000 (up 60% from 2006). The total member number also includes 8,625 ticketed members to date (up 160% from 2006), the highest of the Sydney-based NRL Clubs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Sydney_Rabbitohs

Remove this Banner Ad

Back