Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

That is a baffling perspective.
Im happy to stand by my opinion on Goldy. We need to be aggressive to get the number 1 pick, if it means offloading goldstein then do it. If we keep goldstein then Drewy time on the park has to be reduced. Bring him in for big games against the more fancied teams of next year. Whatever the way it turns out its my opinion and whatever you or others say wont shift me of my thoughts on Goldstein.

Im not the only one who shares this opinion, we've also gone through the hoops explaining why..Ie we have tallmen stocks that can do the job... Currie, Maj to a lesser extent Petrie and maybe another ruckman playing in the WAFL as a back up in our 4th rd pick.

No, just needs help with the ruck duties from a versatile player, drew was a decent ruck 4 years ago or so... he cant ruck anymore his chopout skills are not solid enough.... goldy is spent, and when he plays in the wet he is stuffed even earlier..... must play with a chopout ruckman who provides 25% of ruckwork at least!!

Given the way the year has panned out, I can understand people wanting to toss up some trade suggestions for discussion, leftfield or otherwise.

I can also understand why the Mods would prefer to keep those suggestions in one place rather than have them clog up the board.

What I don't get is why people get so pissy with each other over a bunch of hypothetical trades on an internet forum.

I really don't understand the trade Goldstein calls.

He is one of our better perfomed players this year, whilst Currie is not proven at AFL level.

If he is to be traded just because he is a bit soft, then half the club need to given the flick as well.

Curran is coming through? He's the only guy I know who has spent more time in a moon-boot than out of one. Maybe we could trade him with NASA for a rookie astronaut?

Daw is thereabouts? Where exactly that is, I'm not sure. When asked on Friday night when he will play senior footy next, his response was, "As long as the team keeps playing well & keeps winning, I'm happy to play in the VFL." What a bizarre response on so many levels. But now that we have re-signed Daw for 2 years, he needs to play the rest of this season - no excuses. The season is cooked & he needs game time.

True about Curran. But from what the club says, they rate him and if he gets a good run at it I think it's fair to say he is coming through (albeit slower than hoped)

Daw could develop quicker by playing the ones I agree. I also have no idea what he means by that comment, maybe just playing ht eteam first card. But the fact the season is done means we should be playing all our players with the most upside, and surely Daw is one of them.

Goldie is a gun but he did have a bad day at the office.

Better player management, spreading load through more players on the list and enforcing proper onfield discipline standards through coaching and selection would go a long way to rectify this.

Or the club can continue to run one player into the ground (I don't care if that's his own preference), not rotate other players in that position and not reward or reinforce good defensive behaviours.

I understand this is a touchy subject because we get attached to players but the simple fact is, if you want to trade quality in you are going to lose quality the other way, and unless its a draft pick it will hurt.

I understand this is a touchy subject because we get attached to players but the simple fact is, if you want to trade quality in you are going to lose quality the other way, and unless its a draft pick it will hurt.
Here's the deal, another team will not generously offer you a good player/good draft pick for garbage and as the Grant Schwass trade proved, it is possible to have a win/win trade. This board went ballastic when we traded McIntosh for a later pick and who is the winner at this point in time.

Here's the deal, another team will not generously offer you a good player/good draft pick for garbage and as the Grant Schwass trade proved, it is possible to have a win/win trade. This board went ballastic when we traded McIntosh for a later pick and who is the winner at this point in time.

And no one wants to be on the wrong side of a bad trade, that's why we hardly see big trades any more

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The thing for me is we could have a guy that has currency, that currency has a few things attached to it. Like is he contracted and if he is contracted how close to his market rate of salary have we signed him to, how long is his deal and is the other club likely to take all of it.

Lets look at Tarrant in a hypotheitcal, he is contracted for what 2 years? no one knows what hes on, say we offer him + our first round pick (taking into account some backdoor deal with the dogs) to get Griffen. How much does his current contract devalue his currency, he's not proven but doggies have a need, but is that need great enough to trade out their best player for a guy that has only shown signs and not been the most durable over the journey & a talented unproven kid?

No its probably not.

its only round 18 when does trade month end? what October?
Threads full of speculation about trading players are the worst threads. People forming positions and then arguments to justify those positions on things we have absolutely zero control over and even less influence on. They are worse than the changes threads. Trading is far more complex than most of the discussion that postulate x player for x player and a bag of chips.

Trading is far more complex than most of the discussion that postulate x player for x player and a bag of chips.

I agree entirely with that but to start off you can work out with some certainty the players who might have some value in a trade.

Some NM supporters think that the team has a plethora of present superstars who can be traded. I diagree entirely.

In the Brisbane game, we had 7 players with over 100 games- Harvey, McMahon, Petrie, Swallow, Thomas, Thompson and Wells. So the trade base is limited there.

Then you look at players who might be traded and who have under 100 games - Hansen, Atley, Black, Cunnington, Goldstein, Tarrant and Ziebell and most (not all) of these players, at this stage of their careers, have far more value to NM than would they would get on the trade table. Forget Daw as he is a work in progress who most teams would not pay much for.

So to be a little controversial, the cupboard trade wise is a little bit Mother Hubbardish.

In 1997, the Schwass trade was effected. In Schwass' last game for NM being the final against Geelong, NM had 13 100 game players (Allison, Archer, Blakey, Carey, Crocker, Longmire, Martyn, Roberts, Rock, Schwass, Scott, Scholl and Stevens) with McKernon on 91 games. The larder was stocked for a trade and a trade was done.

If we do want to effect a trade this year, the amount of players whom other teams might want is a lot more limited but to get a good player we may need to give up something that we might not like.

We trade Petrie to the Bulldogs for 2nd round pick. Trade Goldstein, Pick 5 and 2nd round pick from Bulldogs for Pick 1 to GWS.
Pick up Boyd with pick 1, McDonald for second round at the draft.
Promote Daw and Currie to be our main ruckmen. Our 3 talls Black, Boyd and Tarrant. Hansen to play CHB like this season. McDonald to get a half back flank alongside Mullett. Move Atley and Harper to the middle, start playing Garner as well. Delist McMahon, Firrito, Anthony, Gibson and other list cloggers. Boomer retires. Pick up Thomas as a free agent. Use 3rd, 4th, 5th, 6th, 7th round, rookie, pre season picks on reliable key defenders and young defenders (extreme to the max but hey I'm a hoot and its a numbers game, surely one of them will be decent).
Make Ziebell captain, Cunnington vice, Thompson and Swallow his support.
Sack Brad Scott. Or the budget option and my personal preference, make him wanna quit. Hire a monkey to take his spot.

....come out of the trade and draft period looking like a BOSS :cool:

Good thing I'm not in charge down at the club ey? ;)

Good thing I'm not in charge down at the club ey? ;)

You realise of course that you have traded a scenario where we have 1 ruckman to another scenario where we have one ruckman.

You mentioned Daw but he wasn't in your structure.

Y
Yeah I did, I said make Daw and Currie our main rucks

So we trade out Goldy, for an unproven ruckman and a guy who's future is in the forward line and maybe 20% time in the ruck who currently cannot run out a game at AFL level, but that doesn't matted as hes not listed in your structure anyway.

We get a kid who's never played at AFL against men.

You've also retired our 1 genuine game breaker.

Traded out another senior leader.

and the expectation you have is that we would get better?

I wonder how far backwards we would fall.

So we trade out Goldy, for an unproven ruckman and a guy who's future is in the forward line and maybe 20% time in the ruck who currently cannot run out a game at AFL level, but that doesn't matted as hes not listed in your structure anyway.

We get a kid who's never played at AFL against men.

You've also retired our 1 genuine game breaker.

Traded out another senior leader.

and the expectation you have is that we would get better?

I wonder how far backwards we would fall.
Exactly.
We're resting our season in the ruck on Daw and Currie. Your right we might fall backwards but at least we made changes and taking risks on something that could make us alot better or for worse. I say thats alot better than same old and being a middle of the rung team forever. Changes and risk is what seperates winners from well Brad Scott....and now you apparently.

Someone that is so delusional and unwilling to make changes.
Risk it all I say, we're already the laughing stock of the AFL what is there to lose?

So your asking should we retire our ageing stars, trade up our players and rely on unproven talent?
I say absolutely.

Goldy is probably the only player that we can get a high first round draft pick for to get the gun midfielder we need to take the next step. I would love to see Currie play every game from now to see what he can do.I don't want Goldy to go but there are so many clubs in need of a quality ruck that we could get the player we need to go top 4.

its only round 18 when does trade month end? what October?
Threads full of speculation about trading players are the worst threads. People forming positions and then arguments to justify those positions on things we have absolutely zero control over and even less influence on. They are worse than the changes threads. Trading is far more complex than most of the discussion that postulate x player for x player and a bag of chips.

Couldn't that same position be taken for nearly every thread on BF? From changes, to MRP decisions, to results etc, none of which we have any control over or influence on - it's just discussion.

I don't see why such discussion over potential trades is seen as such a bad thing when all it is directed at is trying to improve the team and looking for ways to do it.

We need to be recruiting for the next couple of years. You don't want to be in the same window as GC and GWS.

We have a very talented list. Add one or two quality players, sort out the gameplan and we will be a very good team.

Nd that player is Ryan Griffin would have the best midfield if we got him is it true we want him or just shit talk again

Remove this Banner Ad

Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back