Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Trading Tarrant or Goldy is not a smart move. If Currie goes down you've got Majak or Mabon left, who need time to develop. Tarrant has only played around 50 games, he's clearly going to replace Petrie in 2-3 years, can't rely on Majak or Tom Curran to fill that spot as they need to develop and get over injuries. Give Goldy a rest or more rotations and he'll actually be fresh enough to make it to a contest.
Hawthorn managed a season to play finals, Geelong have done it this year til their ruck stocks got better again. Whats stopping us drafting another Currie from WA, SA, VFL?? Jessie White from Sydney will be up for grabs I think........

Fair enough BTron. I think our system is fundamentally flawed.
Goldy drops the ballsy his feet, repeatedly, thus allowing swallow, JZ and Cunners to win the ball in close. This allows other teams to rely on this, they can then commit 2 to that contest, with either an outside runner or outside defender.
We win the clearance but to no one a lot of the time.
I believe if we stuck a more bash and crash type ruckmen in there, there is less need to have all 3 clearance machine midfielders in there around the stoppage, we could set up better defensively and attacking wise.
We also get **** all contested marks out of goldy which I think is a massive issue/problem with our game plan, meaning we are either setting up again for a stoppage or watching the ball get pumped back in.
The stats show that Goldy is probably middle of the road for tackles, clearances, marks and contested marks for the top level ruckmen in the comp. He is likely the only one of those who doesn't get a chop out. I think he could improve those numbers with more help and get back to what he was putting the year before last. He was like an extra inside mid that year and also got around the ground and took more marks.

As for the ruck set ups, thats not Todd, thats the coaches and mids. That shit needs to get sorted and sooner rather than later.

I just think that a fit and rested Goldstein is too much of an advantage to trade when we have no proven back ups in place. He needs a chop out and it is up to the coaches to make this happen.

I'd just like to point out that in the 3rd qtr when Carlton had their run on LT had 1 kick, which he got in the goal square as a result if everyone else's hard work. His first half was great but if there is one player that highlights how we are front runners its LT. I've pointed out before how is forth qtrs in case we have lost have been poor and again on Friday he went missing. You'd think that if he couldn't get a kick he would have at least laid a tackle. Very strange for someone that bleeds blue an white and wins games off his own boot!
The ball was in our half and their possession for 20 mins...

I'll cope fine.

the question is how will those who think we'd be better off trading half the talent from the list because we've had a frustrating season?

thanks for your worry.
LOL. Just because one poster believes we should trade player X and another poster believes we should trade player Y doesn't mean that all these posters want to trade half the talent from the list.

I thought that the likes of DJ Dupree and Mastermind made excellent arguments as to why one would consider trading Goldy. So do you think that these 2 posters would want to trade half our talent? Do you think I would want to trade half our talent? How abouts Saintly31? :stern look

Only because I don't rate the ruck position that highly (unless you're Corey McK) and I think Daw and Currie could do it.

OK. Fair enough mate and a good theory.

I prefer the keep Goldstein and give back up approach, which means off-loading a tall forward. Our Ken doll goes before Black, Curran is coming through, Daw is thereabouts, and Drew has a few years left.

You may be right, time will tell.

LOL. Just because one poster believes we should trade player X and another poster believes we should trade player Y doesn't mean that all these posters want to trade half the talent from the list.

I thought that the likes of DJ Dupree and Mastermind made excellent arguments as to why one would consider trading Goldy. So do you think that these 2 posters would want to trade half our talent? Do you think I would want to trade half our talent? How abouts Saintly31? :stern look

The merge was not specific to posters but to the theme of the topic
Lets take a look shall we,

Melbourne
Geelong
Ade (AAMI)
Essendon
Haw
Collingwood

There are going to be losses. More power to the team if there is not, but looking objecively at it there are.

On the back of the recent losses we have had we have had a recurrent theme of trade Goldy, and now trade Taz, it is the tip of the Iceberg and now there is a place for all the threads that get made when someone sits back and thinks, hmmm we should get rid of X player.

I will continue the thread into the trade month or what ever it is and it'll come thick and fast then. Trade shit has come early this year and its due to the losses.

5 games 1 more goal per game and none of this shit is getting debated, none of it.

Hawthorn managed a season to play finals, Geelong have done it this year til their ruck stocks got better again. Whats stopping us drafting another Currie from WA, SA, VFL?? Jessie White from Sydney will be up for grabs I think........
You wouldn't pull the trigger on it unless you had a third ruck who could play AFL behind Currie & Majak.
You would want an absolute gun player for Goldy. Nobody would give that up.

It is a convenient way of diverting convo', that's all.

I don't like how we seem to approach list management, especially when we back in our players blindly and cross our fingers. Apparently "culture" is the reason, but that "culture" has also been a road to nowhere with the current group.

But yep, posters mentioning trades means we all want to "trade half our talent". Just a bullshit concept and not at all relevant to the premise of the posts in question.

Kidding ourselves if we don't think we should be looking at every possible avenue to improving our list. I think the football department would be doing this - remember we were chasing Boak, Caddy and probably a few others last off-season.

Carlton could do well with a big inside body in the mid.

North need some speed

Garlett or yarran for swallow could be a massive win for both. Would also be great replacements for boomer.

Thoughts?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's forward pocket a goal sneak. If he's placed in the square how the hell is he able to apply defensive pressure in the forward line.
He doesn't spend the whole time there. When other teams are getting run on's everyone needs to put pressure on. 5 times now we have lost a close one and LT had gone missing when it got tough.

He doesn't spend the whole time there. When other teams are getting run on's everyone needs to put pressure on. 5 times now we have lost a close one and LT had gone missing when it got tough.

He's not the only one. He never is.

correct. But he's one if the more experienced. I thought maturity would fix things??

Maturity to bring a frenetic contest and defense when things are not going our way.

He's not going to win the ball out of the center. He's not going to push the mids back and make every ball hard to win for the opposition.

He has to be the one that steps up forward pressure, when it doesn't happen that's what he's accountable for.

If we are failing all over the ground I ain't gonna pin it all on one guy.

Only one Swallow will be changing clubs in the next two years, and it aint Andrew.

OK. Fair enough mate and a good theory.

I prefer the keep Goldstein and give back up approach, which means off-loading a tall forward. Our Ken doll goes before Black, Curran is coming through, Daw is thereabouts, and Drew has a few years left.

You may be right, time will tell.

Curran is coming through? He's the only guy I know who has spent more time in a moon-boot than out of one. Maybe we could trade him with NASA for a rookie astronaut?

Daw is thereabouts? Where exactly that is, I'm not sure. When asked on Friday night when he will play senior footy next, his response was, "As long as the team keeps playing well & keeps winning, I'm happy to play in the VFL." What a bizarre response on so many levels. But now that we have re-signed Daw for 2 years, he needs to play the rest of this season - no excuses. The season is cooked & he needs game time.

Remove this Banner Ad

Ship X Player out (because I said so)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back