Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Should Australia become a Republic?

• YES

Votes: 142 66.7%
  • NO

Votes: 71 33.3%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm easily swayed. Either side can win my vote by offering an extra public holiday. Give me something to inspire my passion!
Republic Weekend for the anniversary of establishment (weekend closest to the actual date wins) will have at the very least Friday and Monday off. Free public transport too!

An important angle to this is how Aboriginal Australia relates to Government at all levels. I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth so I'll just state how I personally see things;

The current political entity spanning this continent - the Commonwealth of Australia, is a colonial entity. The Head of State resides in England and his proxy is Australia's Governor-General. This State was thrust upon the Aboriginal people of this land. They didn't grow it from within, it was imposed from the outside.

As a people, they've had issues feeling like a part of this sprawling colonial entity. They can't relate to it and they can't feel its theirs.

A Republic wipes the slate clean. A Republic puts an end to the colonial relic that is the Commonwealth of Australia with Charles the Third as Monarch.

A Republic will see Aboriginal Australia as an integral part of a new nation from the outset, not subjects of a political construct that was imposed on them. I feel that Treaty, so important if negotiated between the imposed and those doing the imposing, ceases to be a factor.

I see this as VITAL to Reconciliation.

Yes and in addition it also acknowledges Australia’s place as a multicultural nation not just an offshoot of Britain.

I notice Anglo Australians (and this includes UK migrants newly arrived who aren’t citizens) tend to think of themselves as more “Australian” than other Australians. This may be because of all the British symbolic crap that festers this country. Get rid of that and we can truly be multicultural.

Really? Had a convo with a UK migrant who was complaining about all the non whites in “her country”.

How long have you been here I asked:
“5 years, and haven’t bothered with citizenship”….
If you think that this makes all white people think they're more Australian than non white Australians, you're terribly mistaken.

Please reference the section of the Constitution that mentions the words "formal advice" and "responsible minister".

Please reference the section of the Constitution that mentions the prime minister and the Cabinet. The Constitution does not cover all aspects of the governance of Australia.

The select Ministers of the Crown exercise the prerogative powers, either on the Sovereign’s behalf or via "ministerial advice" provided to the Crown which the monarch of the day is constitutionally obliged to follow.

Robert Hazell, professor of government and the constitution at University College London says.. Constitutionally-speaking "the monarch, in almost everything they do, has no choice."

John Quick and Robert Garran stated "But all those powers which involve the performance of executive acts, whether parts of the prerogative or the creatures of statute, will, in accordance with constitutional practice, as developed by the system known as responsible government, be performed by the Governor-General, by and with the advice of the Federal Executive Council … parliamentary government has well established the principle that the Crown can perform no executive act, except on the advice of some minister responsible to Parliament."

Sir Paul Hasluck stated.. "The Governor-General is not placed in a position where he can run the Parliament, run the Courts or run any of the instrumentalities of government; but he occupies a position where he can help ensure that those who conduct the affairs of the nation do so strictly in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of the Commonwealth and with due regard to the public interest."

Please reference the section of the Constitution that mentions the prime minister and the Cabinet. The Constitution does not cover all aspects of the governance of Australia.

The select Ministers of the Crown exercise the prerogative powers, either on the Sovereign’s behalf or via "ministerial advice" provided to the Crown which the monarch of the day is constitutionally obliged to follow.

Robert Hazell, professor of government and the constitution at University College London says.. Constitutionally-speaking "the monarch, in almost everything they do, has no choice."

John Quick and Robert Garran stated "But all those powers which involve the performance of executive acts, whether parts of the prerogative or the creatures of statute, will, in accordance with constitutional practice, as developed by the system known as responsible government, be performed by the Governor-General, by and with the advice of the Federal Executive Council … parliamentary government has well established the principle that the Crown can perform no executive act, except on the advice of some minister responsible to Parliament."

Sir Paul Hasluck stated.. "The Governor-General is not placed in a position where he can run the Parliament, run the Courts or run any of the instrumentalities of government; but he occupies a position where he can help ensure that those who conduct the affairs of the nation do so strictly in accordance with the Constitution and the laws of the Commonwealth and with due regard to the public interest."

I'll ask again.

Please reference the section/s of the Constitution that mentions the words "formal advice" and "responsible Minister".

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Before Australia can become anything more than a colony, we who have come by boat and plane have to acknowledge the people who lived on this country before most of us arrived.

None of them claim to have owned this land.
It owned them.

Whether we arrived on a boat in the 1770's, a boat in the 1970's or a plane.
You are an immigrant, a newcomer relatively speaking.\\\

No new thing can come into being without a full and honest acknowledgement and acceptance of this fact.

Personally I do not think this can ever happen until the entire Howard era generation is in the grave.
That includes anyone who voted for Abbott or Morrison.

Once these people are all dead and buried this country will be free to do as it pleases.

Once these people are all dead and buried this country will be free to do as it pleases.

They have offspring. Some of the biggest royals I know are the youth who are obsessed with Will and Kate. Celeb worshippers, and no doubt will worship their kids when they are adults.

We are a fairly immature country in that respect.

They have offspring. Some of the biggest royals I know are the youth who are obsessed with Will and Kate. Celeb worshippers, and no doubt will worship their kids when they are adults.

We are a fairly immature country in that respect.
Literally limited numbers will survive the Howard era dullards, it's already happening.
The Royals are not the sticking point.
If that were the case we would have had a republic a decade ago.

Most of them will have an education.
Education is the death of ignorance and religion.

I'll ask again.

Please reference the section/s of the Constitution that mentions the words "formal advice" and "responsible Minister".
I'll repeat again.

Where does the Constitution mention the words "Prime Minister and "Cabinet"?

As I said, the Constitution does not cover all aspects of the governance of Australia.

When the Australian Constitution’s framers were drafting its text in the late 1800s, they thought certain things went without saying given the way the existing British system, that they wrre basing their own Constitution on, was designed.

That means Australia’s constitutional system was built on the assumption that all ministers would be responsible to the parliament and, through the parliament, responsible to the Australian people.

Sir Isaac Isaacs described responsible government as responsible government as "part of the fabric on which the written words of the Constitution are superimposed."

In a 1992 High court judgement "Australian Capital Television Pty Ltd & New South Wales vs Commonwealth".
Chief Justice Anthony Mason said "the principle of responsible government – the system of government by which the executive is responsible to the legislature … is an integral element in the Constitution."

The UK has an unwritten constitution.

A House of Commons briefing paper dated July 8th 2024 stated.

"Most of the King’s prerogatives and all his statutory powers depend upon "advice" from ministers. The responsibility for the monarch’s actions based on that advice rests with the minister who gave it, and that minister is accountable to Parliament. Advice can also come from the Cabinet, Parliament, the Privy Council and judges. Formal advice is constitutionally binding and must be followed by the monarch."

So Parliamentary sovereignty is a central element in both the Britain and Australia. An Act of Parliament is the highest form of law.

In the UK, Supreme Court has said that the unwritten UK constitution includes numerous principles of law, which are enforceable by the courts in the same way as other legal principles. The main sources of law, which "constitute" the body politic of the UK, are Acts of Parliament, cases decided by courts, and conventions on how the Cabinet, the Prime Minister, Parliament and the Monarch conduct themselves as part of responsible government. Therefore, as the House of Commons briefing paper says above, the monarch is constitutionally bound to follow formal advice.

Likewise all constitutional duties and powers are accepted by binding convention to be held by Parliament or the courts. Australia's political system derives from British constitutional law.

Before Australia can become anything more than a colony, we who have come by boat and plane have to acknowledge the people who lived on this country before most of us arrived.

None of them claim to have owned this land.
It owned them.

Whether we arrived on a boat in the 1770's, a boat in the 1970's or a plane.
You are an immigrant, a newcomer relatively speaking.\\\

No new thing can come into being without a full and honest acknowledgement and acceptance of this fact.

Personally I do not think this can ever happen until the entire Howard era generation is in the grave.
That includes anyone who voted for Abbott or Morrison.

Is it possible for you to comment on a subject without wishing someone dead? Doesn't look like it.

Formal advice is constitutionally binding and must be followed by the monarch."

There is nothing in the Constitution that can force a monarch to follow advice. Nada.
As there is nothing in the Constitution that can force a monarch to follow advice it cannot be "constitutionally binding".

There is nothing in the Constitution that can force a monarch to follow advice. Nada.
As there is nothing in the Constitution that can force a monarch to follow advice it cannot be "constitutionally binding".

Once again.

The House of Commons Briefing Paper, published this year (July 8th), in a country that has an unwritten constitution, states that:

"Most of the King’s prerogatives and all his statutory powers depend upon "advice" from ministers. The responsibility for the monarch’s actions based on that advice rests with the minister who gave it, and that minister is accountable to Parliament. Advice can also come from the Cabinet, Parliament, the Privy Council and judges. Formal advice is constitutionally binding and must be followed by the monarch."

When Diana died it was on every channel for hours, ffs what does this biddie mean to me. Been a republican ever since that traumatic event for a 7yo, I think they even cancelled the sat morning cartoons
I think I was at an Essendon v Adelaide game when her death was announced. The footy was far more important to me.

Remove this Banner Ad

Politics Should Australia become a Republic?

Back