Should Gay AFL Players come out?

Remove this Banner Ad

I do not think Ron The Bear has discussed his point of view in a rational manner at all and shows no empathy or tolerance towards others different than himself. Robust discussion is great but everybody who participates is hopefully listening. You cannot hear when your mind is closed and your mind made up.

You don't think I made a concerted effort to stick to facts and avoid resorting to emotive arguments, but think the points I put forward were dissected and dismissed in a rational manner? Well good for you.

What about if it's a gun like Pendlebury? Surely he'll still be remembered as a really good player too? And he could be gay, I reckon gay or not, any bloke would have a crack at his missus! :thumbsu:
Fair point but imagine if it's a fairly average player that comes out. They'll be lauded as heroic and will go down in the books as an influential figure of the game.

I do not think Ron The Bear has discussed his point of view in a rational manner at all and shows no empathy or tolerance towards others different than himself. Robust discussion is great but everybody who participates is hopefully listening. You cannot hear when your mind is closed and your mind made up.

Kudos for you though, one hopes you receive the respect you show to others.

I never said rational, I said reasonable. Ron is trying to argue on the basis that homosexuality was once considered a mental illness as it was on the DSM like in 1970. Even the mental health professionals have evolved and thankfully they don't also institutionalise unwed mothers anymore too. But maybe he thinks they should? Who knows? Who cares? They also don't perform partial lobotomies in GP offices anymore by sticking a rod into your brain via the nose and mushing it around. Maybe he thinks that should come back too?

Homosexuality was made a mental illness because society wanted to opress/repress men and women who were that way inclined. Maybe he has more in common with the Nazi ideals of pure race and anyone who is different should be "treated" or "purged"! Who knows.

Ron is entitled to his opinion I guess. Even if most would disagree with him.

You don't think I made a concerted effort to stick to facts and avoid resorting to emotive arguments, but think the points I put forward were dissected and dismissed in a rational manner? Well good for you.

I think Ron has carried himself well in this, I hold polar opposite view points from him and honestly detest the church sponsored pseudoscience he has used as evidence, but that is is his opinion only and he has expressed it politely and calmly. :thumbsu:

no they shouldnt come out in the media. not because its anything to be ashamed of, but media would run with it for days and every time there is an article about this player, him coming out and being gay will always be mentioned. "Meanwhile player X, who came out as being gay in 2012, was instrumental in the win, collected 23 posessions and kicking 5 goals".

Such a controversial topic, such controversial answers. Everybody is entitled to their opinion and i have mine. It is complex, there is no real right answer. Should a player share his sexual orientation with other players in his team. It entirely depends, the circumstances, the people and most importantly the person who is actually coming out. Lets state the facts. Homosexuals are not fully welcomed and accepted in our country even the world. There will be too much attention on the fact that the player is gay, attention will thus not be placed on football skills. The day that this happens, will be one of the saddest day sin football history.

Meh, If a gay players wants to take his partner to an awards night/club function then he should be able to and feel comfortable doing so. If his partner wants to sit with the WAGS watching the game then he should be allowed to. I see no reason why a player should have to hide any relationship he is involved in.

The WAGS acronym becomes a bit messy as WAGABS and eventually WAGAHABS.

Otherwise I have no issue with it if they feel comfortable enough to do it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should if they want to, they shouldn't if they don't want to.

The media would talk about it endlessly and would constantly draw attention to it though, which would suck for the player.

Basically this. It's a catch-22 situation. Players should feel free to come out if they ever wanted to, but the media would make such a massive deal out of it that it's unlikely it will ever happen in the short term future. Sad really, because who gives a poo?

I am the founder of the Rainbow Swans gay mens' social club & am one of few openly gay posters on here. I balance a life between the GLBT community & being a Swans fan & to be honest have not have any trouble at all with homophobia at matches at all. I even took the guy I am starting to date :heart: to the GWS game on Saturday night & neither of us felt threatened or in any way uncomfortable at the match.

Yes I am lucky that I am a Swans fans. The GLBT community have always been long time supporters of the Swans since way back in the 1980s. And luckily due to the fact that many Swans fans are from areas such as Paddington Surry Hills Newtown & Alexandria (& tend to be nearly 50-50 male-female), most are not only used to being around gay people at games, they live amongst them in their everyday lives.

Should an AFL player come out? It would be great if they did. If Ian Roberts & NRL referee Matt Chechin came come out, there is technically no reason why an AFL player can't as well. There are just so many teenagers who are struggling with coming out in their adolescence who are crying out for a role model they can look up to.

I am well aware of a former Swans team member who was gay himself. He obviously wasn't publicly open about it but the players definitely knew about it (because he was dating a player in our reserves at the time :eek:) Having said that, it is not my place to start up hysterical debate about who he was & why & how, because outing somebody can be awfully traumatic for that person, especially when he is in an environment that is so high profile.

That is the double-edged sword of the whole debate. You want people to come out, but until we have a first, nobody ever will. :-/

JF

I am the founder of the Rainbow Swans gay mens' social club & am one of few openly gay posters on here. I balance a life between the GLBT community & being a Swans fan & to be honest have not have any trouble at all with homophobia at matches at all. I even took the guy I am starting to date :heart: to the GWS game on Saturday night & neither of us felt threatened or in any way uncomfortable at the match.

Hiya! Do you guys travel down south much? We have a little Magpies group here

Remove this Banner Ad

Should Gay AFL Players come out?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back