List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

We've gone as bad as Norf did before their first round assistance.

If hiring an unqualified coach, then having your players white-ant his replacement because they didn't like someone calling out how shit they were, then WCE should be getting assistance for at least trying to do it properly.
Yeah you have.

The assistance we got was specifically to help address the issue with the list .... we had not enough players in the 24-28 age group. the 27+ age group now. So we got late picks that were sposed to be traded for older players.

A player like Yeo would have been awesome to have in our side. The closest we had to that was Cunners and he had cancer.

You would be better off with a bunch of extra rookie spots and the ability to develop the academy players you have from around the state. There's heaps of young talent around the country that don';t get drafted but will make a shot of it if given the chance. I said this when we were talking in that other thread on the MB last year - the route for clubs struggling on field is to give them the resources and access to develop young talented players who otherwise wouldn't get a shot.

You are disrespecting our club posting garbage like this.

We are pretty chill on this board.......unlike others.

But you are on thin ice with the above.
No worries. I didn't mean to.

I'll keep to the point I was making if I post anything else.

Yeah you have.

The assistance we got was specifically to help address the issue with the list .... we had not enough players in the 24-28 age group. the 27+ age group now. So we got late picks that were sposed to be traded for older players.

A player like Yeo would have been awesome to have in our side. The closest we had to that was Cunners and he had cancer.

You would be better off with a bunch of extra rookie spots and the ability to develop the academy players you have from around the state. There's heaps of young talent around the country that don';t get drafted but will make a shot of it if given the chance. I said this when we were talking in that other thread on the MB last year - the route for clubs struggling on field is to give them the resources and access to develop young talented players who otherwise wouldn't get a shot.
Nobody cares what assistance package you got

We running by our own set of rules and expectation.

We are not being guided any club let alone your club

Yeah you have.

I mean, we pretty much the same issue.

Barely anyone in the 24-28 age bracket.

A bunch of 30+ players near the end, permanently injured, or finished altogether.

Surely the AFL learnt their lesson by dragging out the compensation with North and compromising several drafts. It wasn't a good way of doing it. Our second is still getting pushed out this year due to Norths compo picks.

I would think they would prefer to get it all over with this year and then start to have less compromised drafts going forward (until Tassie that is).
Just one and done. Give us a couple of decent picks and be done with it.

Surely the AFL learnt their lesson by dragging out the compensation with North and compromising several drafts. It wasn't a good way of doing it. Our second is still getting pushed out this year due to Norths compo picks.

I would think they would prefer to get it all over with this year and then start to have less compromised drafts going forward (until Tassie that is).
Just one and done. Give us a couple of decent picks and be done with it.

IMO, we finishing 17th

Pick 2, and AFL gives us a decent hand with Pick 3 :)

Pick 2 FOS, Pick 3, split for Travaglia/Moraes?

Talk about being kissed on the dick, I have more chance of running into Margot Robbie leaving her husband asking to blow me before she is tied down with her 1st born.

IMO, we finishing 17th

Pick 2, and AFL gives us a decent hand with Pick 3 :)

Pick 2 FOS, Pick 3, split for Travaglia/Moraes?

Talk about being kissed on the dick, I have more chance of running into Margot Robbie leaving her husband asking to blow me before she is tied down with her 1st born.

Don’t sell yourself short man, could happen

I find it hilarious being lectured by a North supporter about the legitimacy of our claim for priority picks considering the state of their list was not just bad recruitment. They also actively tried to get worse.

Examples?

They lowballed Robbie Tarrant on a deal so much so he felt insulted and walked out on the club.

They forced Brent Harvey into retiring despite him still playing very good football.

They forced Ben Brown to leave for a measly upgrade of some picks and a pick in the 30’s.

They forced Shaun Higgins out the door too for a pick in the 30’s

Same shit again with McKay last year. They couldn’t pack his bags quick enough for the draft pick.

Time and time again they were more than happy to let experience walk out the door in return for getting worse and more picks.

Some say we should have done that too but if we did we would be even worse performing than we are now.

So I find it laughable for any North supporter to come on here and claim we don’t deserve priority picks because some of our players “allegedly” didn’t want to play for Simmo but then can’t admit they basically tanked their ****ing side and then went rattling their tin to the AFL for picks.

We might suck and yes, we have drafted poorly or at the very least developed poorly but at least we aren’t a pack of tankers like Norf.

Last edited:
Yeah you have.

Honestly our use of the rookie list hadn't been overly successful of late. I'm not sure that'd help us

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app

So Eagles will need to be twice as bad as North? And the North package was too small in the first years to make any impact.

Sounds about right from AFL House.

And over these 2 to 3 years how much more priority access assistance will the Swans, Lions, Suns and Giants get? Another 6 1st round picks between them? Likely more?

Lions and Blues take full advantage in the father son priority access lucky dip this year. Pies get another next year in McGuane.

But teams struggling in 18th get nothing except their later picks diluted and players poached.
Lets not forget about Tasmania being added into the mix over the next few years too

People forget with North also is they got Tarryn Thomas as a academy pick which was pick 8 for basically a whole heap of picks between 35-45 (traded 1st rounder knowing this but only got duds like Polec/Pittard back)

Another club who got a free academy player when Eagles didnt with Lance Collard

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I mean, we pretty much the same issue.

Barely anyone in the 24-28 age bracket.

A bunch of 30+ players near the end, permanently injured, or finished altogether.
Honestly tho those older players are worth keeping around. Most or all them are premiership players so they have some idea of what's needed to succeed. The likes of Mcgovern, Yeo and Barass for example are all quality players, the amount of times me and other North supporters have wished we'd had them to help develop our younger players over the last few years ....

If they can provide good examples and leadership to the younger blokes they'll come good quicker. We've seen that with Liam Shiels at North and he'd retired. he's probably not worth having on the list for anything other than how he sets standards the younger guys weren't exposed to.

About the bolded bit... there's a bit of talk on the North board that Brady Rawlings is a terrible list manager... is he why you have that demographic hole do you reckon?

Honestly tho those older players are worth keeping around. Most or all them are premiership players so they have some idea of what's needed to succeed. The likes of Mcgovern, Yeo and Barass for example are all quality players, the amount of times me and other North supporters have wished we'd had them to help develop our younger players over the last few years ....

If they can provide good examples and leadership to the younger blokes they'll come good quicker. We've seen that with Liam Shiels at North and he'd retired. he's probably not worth having on the list for anything other than how he sets standards the younger guys weren't exposed to.

About the bolded bit... there's a bit of talk on the North board that Brady Rawlings is a terrible list manager... is he why you have that demographic hole do you reckon?

I'd say it's simply more a product of us being up and about for so long. Couple that with the chook lotto every club went through with trying to draft during Covid and we came out bereft of high end talent since the 2017 draft.

I don't think Rawlings had any significant impact as to the state of the current list, more the club probably overrating where they were at and going back to the well in the 2nd half of 2032, instead of backing in those players who were actually performing.

Refusing assistance for some kind of moral stand against it will go down like a lead balloon in 5-8 years time when we are dealing with clubs like North in finals.
Yep, and around that time someone will start a thread of all the players we could have picked with the assistance package we could have received.

Honestly our use of the rookie list hadn't been overly successful of late. I'm not sure that'd help us

On SM-S921B using BigFooty.com mobile app
Maric did okay last year. I reckon Jai Culley has some potential too.

The AFL doesn't really seem concerned with developing young players or grass roots footy, which is where most decent players (ie not superstars or first round picks) come from. Otherwise they'd be keen to prioritise helping clubs build good development programs.

I think it was the Collingwood President who said a few weeks ago that they didn't really give a stuff about draft picks or developing younger players. Instead they were just gonna poach other sides good players for as long as they could. Its crazy that people think that way. No wonder the game is not in the best shape.

I'll keep saying it.

Put the ego aside, and do what you can to get every little advantage now.

The worst thing that can happen is suck dick for another three seasons with Yeo, Kelly Barrass, Mcgovern, Cripps all gone and still have 2 game winning season when Tasmania has 9 of 10 first picks.

Get the priority picks now!!!

List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Back