List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Brander, Ainsworth, Venables, XOn, Foley, Cameron, Johnson, O'Neill, Winder plus a cast of over a dozen other "never had a chance" type picks.

Our strike rate through poor development or bad luck (only Venables really...who wasn't tracking amazingly tbf) is truly abysmal. Who have we had a categorical win with? Allen, Ryan, Harry and Houghy plus the younger lads who are too early to make a call on but showing some promise.

I don't think we can really blame the TK trade because the evidence is we didn't get our picks right throughout the period. Our talent identification and development was wretched. Now we pray that wheel has turned a little...

We've won 5 games (not sure how). Us and North have been so far off the pace for 3 years. We really should be getting what they have been given but it's no sure thing to turn things around. No good getting extra 1st round picks when you select guys like Campbell Chesser, Will Phillips etc

Was told that if the club hit 5 wins it wasn't happening. This may change things.

You'd hope so.

Stealing a few wins late in the year (and they were thefts) doesn't patch over the glaring cracks in this list.

If a 150 point smashing that completely change the landscape of the top 4 and the All Australian team (Jeremy Cameron will be a lock after today) isn't enough to point out the massive advantage clubs have lining up against our list then nothing will.

We are bad for the AFL, it's in their best interests to get us at least moderately competitive ASAP.

I'd take Norths list over ours any day
North have been bottom two for five consecutive years, you’d ****ing hope so.

With as atrocious as we’ve been, we’ve been bottom two for two years. We’re dogshit. North are worse.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No priority picks, clubs should grow a spine and sort it out themselves.

It’s a numbers game. You have to get as many players in as you can but you need picks. . AFL should give priority picks early in a teams performance, not when you have been shite for 4 years because those 18 year olds require few years to perform.

I am not saying should be first rounders, but to be honest, a bunch of mid 2nd rounders would go along way to make teams being competitive quicker.

I am off opinion that assistance should also be that restricted free agents from top 4 become unrestricted for teams in bottom 3. Same with uncontracted players.

Nothing to do with a spine I'm afraid.
Not sure how much you can improve when your first 2 picks after finishing last are 1 and 30.

It's not an even comp so you take every advantage you can get.

I'm surprised people are even debating it TBH.

If Pyke doesn't ask he's not doing his job.

North got three last year for same win rate over three seasons. They also got assistance the year before.

In 2022 north was given a 2023 F2 and F3
In 2023 north was given a 2023 pick 19 and 2 end of 1st 2024s.

5 future picks to use as trades.

A couple of end of first rounders 2025 for us to use for trades would effectively get 2 of baker, peatling, Garcia, or Davies without affecting our draft hand.

On Pixel 6 Pro using BigFooty.com mobile app

In principle I agree - no priority, compensation or points usage to move up the draft for f/s and academy

But because they made it such a complicated draft system - we didn't get the picks we should of last year due to the above

The AFL has made it overly complicated and fairness is out the window - so if we can get a priority pick, 100% we should.

Last edited:
Gotta ask for something, realistically 1 end of first round PP this year [which we then use in the draft] and 2 extra rookie list spots would be a win. With what North have been given, and what Richmond are about to be given, it's going to be insane for us to have suffered through the last 3 years and walk away with no extra picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Back