List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Agree with Squashface, but would go as far as to say how do you know he isn't. Nothing announced yet, he may still be trying for a resolution. Unlikely though it may be.

AFL house leaks like a sieve so there’s no chance we’ve applied for assistance without them dribbling that out to one of their sycophants to see what the blowback would be if we received any

AFL house leaks like a sieve so there’s no chance we’ve applied for assistance without them dribbling that out to one of their sycophants to see what the blowback would be if we received any

Speaking of leaking like a sieve, I've seen multiple suggestions of Saints sweating over Battle compensation, which to me just reeks of the AFL conditioning us all for the Saints getting a pick that leaves the rest of us scratching our heads. Reckon it'll be a bow wrapped gift to prop them up.

Free agency opens today so logic would dictate it would needed to have been squared away already.

It hasn't and we haven't heard a peep through the media which we definitely would have happened exactly as Keys has described.

Really disappointing and not aligned to a club who is doing everything they can to advance our rebuild quickly.

Free agency opens today so logic would dictate it would needed to have been squared away already.

It hasn't and we haven't heard a peep through the media which we definitely would have happened exactly as Keys has described.

Really disappointing and not aligned to a club who is doing everything they can to advance our rebuild quickly.
only 2 players FA paperwork has been sent in. Besides, whats the rush?

The new coach will still be getting across the current drafting and trading strategy and having his input. Calm the farm there is plenty of time.

Speaking of leaking like a sieve, I've seen multiple suggestions of Saints sweating over Battle compensation, which to me just reeks of the AFL conditioning us all for the Saints getting a pick that leaves the rest of us scratching our heads. Reckon it'll be a bow wrapped gift to prop them up.

And there it is

Absolute disgrace Battle is worth a pick 8. The Hawks pick is getting worse by the minute, if we roll over and take a shitty deal for Tommy then nothing has changed despite departments changing heads.

I now want the club to confirm if we did or didn’t request assistance from the AFL.

They don’t mind throwing picks around for North and Saints and all the peasant clubs the competition props up but heaven forbid if you make money!!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wasn't there someone here who said the AFL told us to ask for assistance if we won four games or less? We won five games.

If true, North not being able to hold a 13 point lead with two minutes remaining might have screwed us big time.
yep. the two requirements were Fire Simmo and win 4 or less games to be in consideration.
the way I make myself feel better is by saying beating the dockers cost us a pick but it cost them finals

Pick 8 for a, pun not intended, genuine battler... flipping spare me....
And so the vAFL special magic sauce compo recipe once more comes into play.

Point 1 - and seriously, who didn't see this coming?

Point 2 - is there anyone here who believes that if everything was identical except St Kilda was replaced by West Coast, that the compo would have still been Band 1?

And 3 - ep2018 is right on this occasion. Winning against Norf with 3 late goals has really screwed us. 5 wins = No compensation for you.

Wasn't there someone here who said the AFL told us to ask for assistance if we won four games or less? We won five games.

If true, North not being able to hold a 13 point lead with two minutes remaining might have screwed us big time.
As far as I'm aware they removed that silly arbitrary criteria from the old priority system because it encouraged tanking if teams knew exactly how many games they could win. Wouldn't surprise me at all if they decide to pull it back out and move the goalposts on us but the club should be pushing back and using facts to back up their argument.

Its as simple as norf won 9.5 games over the 3 years from 2020 - 2022 and that was in 17, 22 and 22 game seasons, for a total of 61, or a 15.57 win %. We won 10 games from 2022 to 2024 in 22, 23 and 23 game seasons, for a total of 68, which is a 14.7% win rate. We also had a lower % over the 3 seasons than norf did, I can't be bothered to calculate it now however.

Also the 5 win cut off is stupid when you're applying that in a longer season than when it was last used, 4 of our 5 wins came against teams that we doubled up against this season, so it's a safe bet that had we only played 22 games as was standard previously, then we probably only win 4 games for the year.

Then you also have the argument that despite us also being worse statistically than norf in the same period, we also had our draft picks diluted further than they did due to the increasingly "complex" draft, and in part due to norf's priority picks.

There simply isn't a single reasonable argument against us being awarded atleast what north were given in 2022, and the club has to be announcing that publicly so that either A. We get what we are entitled to based off of precedent or B. We hold the AFL to account so it makes it harder for them to cook up priority picks in the future, like you just know they're waiting to do for the tigers.

Will be extremely disappointed in Pyke and co if they are too gun shy to make it public, because all this behind closed doors rubbish serves no one but the AFL, and any goodwill that they think they might earn by being discreet is completely imaginary, they have never thrown us a bone and probably never will unless their hand is forced.

Remove this Banner Ad

List Mgmt. Should The Eagles Request A Priority Assistance Package at The End of This Year?

Back