Should The Western Bulldogs Be Re-Branded Footscray?

Remove this Banner Ad

In 1996, the last year we were Footscray our membership was 10K.

Now it is 32K.

Plus this will be the third year in a row we post a profit. Under Footscray, we made losses every year and nearly went under many times, including 1989 and 1996. Our Ground and training facilities were a laughing stock and now we have the best facilities in AUSTRALIA.

IMG_0028.jpg

This year we averaged over 44,000 at Eithad in 11 of our games. We had the 7th highest average attendance in the Home and away season despite playing in Darwin, Canberra and very state.

I still call them Footscray. I refuse to call them Western Bulldogs just like I refused to call my team the Kangaroos. I hope Smorgan does bring back Footscray just like Brayshaw brought back North Melbourne. I was so happy when JB did it.

There was a West Melbourne early in the 20th century, but I am pretty sure, they merged with North.

Hmm, you're right

Wikipedia said:
North caused a sensation in 1907 after announcing an amalgamation with fellow football club West Melbourne (which at the time had lost their home ground). The joint venture saw their chance of promotion and applied for admission to the prestigious VFL but their plan was scuttled by Richmond and University who were admitted to the VFL instead. As punishment, the West and North Melbourne clubs were banished from the VFA for their treachery.

I don't think we can change back now. I was sad when it happened, but at the age of 30 I have had almost half my life following the Western Bulldogs and it pretty much means as much to me as the name Footscray did.

Without question. They tried to re brand but they are selling nothing to anyone. Same as North. It might work for the first team in a whole state but Footscray already has a history and a location.

There's a difference. Changing to the kangaroos and flogging games saw us lose members. Going back to North Melbourne has seen ours rise 40 per cent.

Yet the Dogs, despite years of relative success seem to have topped out in their membership.

I still call them Footscray. I refuse to call them Western Bulldogs just like I refused to call my team the Kangaroos. I hope Smorgan does bring back Footscray just like Brayshaw brought back North Melbourne. I was so happy when JB did it.
I like The North Melbourne Kangaroos. Sounds better than just Kangaroos.

Same with Footscray Bulldogs.

Western is too coast, or Sydney sounding.

Western Bulldogs not only sounds heaps better! It also has wider appeal. I emergency teach all over the western suburbs and the Western Bulldogs are massive. They are really fighting back against soccer. They have been doing a lot of work with schools at grassroots. The kids can relate to the name "Western" because that's where they are from. The kids in Sunshine, Footscray, St Albans and Melton ALL come from the Western Suburbs.

Footscray only means something to the older people who already follow the team anyway.

....I hope Smorgan does bring back Footscray just like Brayshaw brought back North Melbourne....

Not much chance of that happening. Smorgo was the one who forced the adoption of the trading name - without going to the members, which still rankles.

The proper name of the club is the Footscray Football Club Ltd trading as Western Bulldogs. Those of us who continue to call the club Footscray are technically and morally correct.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Western Bulldogs has a better 'ring' to it from a marketing perspective.

They have developed a better brand for their club since Western Bulldogs was conceived, the last thing you want to do is go backwards.

It doesnt really matter to me because i still call em footscray. When i talk to my mates about footscray they know who i'm talking about. I do miss the old footscray name though but i do think western bulldogs is covering more area like sunshine, melton, werribee.

Isn't whitten oval in west footcray? Maybe call em Western Footscray Bulldogs

I prefer the name Western Bulldogs... We've created a different identity to the battler team associated with Footscray.

Having said this we've not forgotten where we came from, but reverting to the old name would be undoing Smorgan and Rose's off-field progress.

I prefer Western Bulldogs....The Western Suburbs of Melb are one of the fastest growing areas of the country....why not appeal to all of this area rather than just one suburb..

Reverting to Footscray would be a backwards step. The name Western Bulldogs more adequately reflects the supporter base of the club and is a much better name for marketing purposes.

As many have pointed out, the traditionalists still call us Footscray and everyone knows who they are referring to, so no need to officially change it anyway.

As MemberForever pointed out, we are now a reasonably well supported club with increasing memberships and attendances and better financial performance. On that basis we should not monkey around further with the brand.

i would guess about 85%+ of North people strongly prefer 'North Melbourne' to 'The Kangaroos'

what would it be for the doggies -- prefer 'Footscray' to 'The Western Bulldogs', maybe 40%?

Footscray works better for me. 'Western Bulldogs' just makes them feel too desperate to encompass more area. As JeffDunne says, you don't need to be named after an area to represent it.

I still call us Footscray but we'll never go back, as many others have commented, it makes sense from a marketing point of view.

I also believe, though I could very well be wrong, that we changed it to Western Bulldogs, such that if we were still battling after a couple of years (after the name change), we could've moved to Sydney and the name could've stayed.

Much like Sydney, with SMFC and Brisbane with BBFFC (correct me if I'm wrong), we have FFC on the back of our jerseys.

You don't need to be named after a region to represent that region.

I know you don't have to but think of this. If you were a kid who wanted to choose a footy team and say none of your family followed footy and u wanted to get into it. Wouldn't you choose the team which was in your area? If you lived in the western suburbs than wouldn't you choose the western bulldogs? If it was Footscray than the people in the west would pick any other team since they don't live in Footscray.

When i came to Australia 35 years ago the first place i lived was in footscray. When i went to school at West Footscray i never knew what footy was. Thats how i got to pick the doggies. Because of where i lived.

Remove this Banner Ad

Should The Western Bulldogs Be Re-Branded Footscray?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back