Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Step one - replace AFL with NRL

Step two - replace 'soccer' with AFL

... and bang, there's the NRL mentality.

Why overly worry about competitors when the game is in such a healthy state financially?

It's the us against them mentality that a lot of people loathe about the NRL.

If, and only if the A League decide to play their game in Winter head-to-head with AFL, then it might become interesting. At the moment, the A League is a quirky competition that will only ever be No. 2 or 3 in Australia, and that's because any decent talent will head OS

"We" as in true Australian Football fans. Not casual Australian Football fans who rate soccer as their number one game like many on this board are.

I've been following AFL since I was six years old Rex. I've been following soccer for a while as well, but more so recently. I guess I would say I support both equally.

I am exactly as much a 'true' Australian football fan as you are.

Take a stand and be the only country in the world that has no connection to soccer.....Yep, great thinking there champ.

There is room for all sports. The AFL are their own worst enemy. Not soccer or any other sport.

Definetly, the AFL are more of a threat to the AFL than the A-League, NRL & NBL combined.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What's this 'we' business? I follow both codes and love them both. And before I get the garbage about not being a 'true' AFL fan, have been a member of my AFL team the Crows and my SANFL Norwood for as long as I can remember. Been with the Crows since day one.

And yes I am also a member of Adelaide United.

Let's declare war on Soccer. Australia vs World. Clearly we're so much better, we'll kick their ass...

On another note, how do you feel about the AFL expanding into Gold Coast and Western Sydney? Totally supportive of it? I'd assume you'd be hating it and support the NRL to take a stand?

Or Ireland should take a stand and not allow AFL clubs to poach their athletes?

Take a stand and be the only country in the world that has no connection to soccer.....Yep, great thinking there champ.

There is room for all sports. The AFL are their own worst enemy. Not soccer or any other sport.

There seems to be this unwritten rule according to soccer fans that their game has a god given right to throw around its influence whatever the country.

Who says soccer has to be big everywhere?

There seems to be this unwritten rule according to soccer fans that their game has a god given right to throw around its influence whatever the country.

I'd love to see you find one post anywhere on this site where myself as a soccer fan has claimed this.

I'm a realist, it wont ever be as big as AFL in this country but who really cares? Why is it people who support AFL and only AFL feel the need to run down any other sport that looks like it might be a threat? Are they scared?

Personally I think the two can easily co-exist in this country.

I notice you live in Sydney with the rest of the paranoid NRL plebs.

It would appear from this post that you believe AFL has the right to throw around its influence.

Which I suppose it does. As does soccer. I'm yet to hear any example of soccer abusing that right.

As for soccer being big everywhere, I don't really care. But I think it's a magnificent sport and I would love to see it become more successful in Australia.

And if that means interrupting one AFL season out of a hundred in Australia so we can host a soccer world cup, I think thats more than a fair trade off.

Footy will always be the big kahuna in Vic, WA, SA and Tas. Always. Maybe NT as well.

AFL will always be behind Rugby League in NSW and Qld. Always.

The AFL are basically fighting against 'soccer' in the 'expansion states' to be the number two game in town. Each have as much right as the other to groom these markets for their own game. For the AFL to say they see soccer as a threat, means that they don't want to loose potential markets in these states only.

There is no way that soccer will ever cause issues for the AFL in the Southern states. Footy is in the blood, in the culture and will always be number one here. That being said, there is no reason why soccer has to be branded an enemy and wiped out. It is very popular to the masses, maybe moreso as a television sport, but can and will co-exist with AFL.

No need to take a stand, soccer's shoulder chips are big enough without proclaiming war.

As you can see you also polarise existing AFL/soccer fans with this type of talk so that is counter productive.

Just keep supporting our game. Get involved with your club, Auskick, make it tangible. Best thing you can do.

Live and let live though it is just sport. errr and dont be afraid to use the term soccer. :p

You sound like an imbecile.

There seems to be this unwritten rule according to AFL fans that their game has a god given right to throw around its influence whatever the state.

Who says AFL has to be big everywhere?

Remove this Banner Ad

Should we take a stand against soccer?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back