Rumour Silvagni trade value?

Remove this Banner Ad

Next season our KPD stocks will likely be McPharlin, Dawson, Silvagni and Faulks. Assuming both McPharlin and Faulks are kept around. Who the eff knows what the thinking will be with where to position Anthony. In 2014 we could seriously be looking at a situation where it Dawson is the only AFL ready KPD on our list. There is no f'n chance we are going to trade Silvagni.

MJ and Roberton are flankers, so they don't really come into consideration.

Next season our KPD stocks will likely be McPharlin, Dawson, Silvagni and Faulks. Assuming both McPharlin and Faulks are kept around. Who the eff knows what the thinking will be with where to position Anthony. In 2014 we could seriously be looking at a situation where it Dawson is the only AFL ready KPD on our list. There is no f'n chance we are going to trade Silvagni.

I agree we shouldn't trade SNOS but if he gets minimal games next year(heaven forbid),SNOS IMO will request a trade which screws us due to SNOS coming out of contract.So do you act while the club has control,or run the risk of getting nothing,because of the PSD,exactly how we landed Dawson?

We need depth for KPP stocks - SNOS fits the mould, keep him I say

Grover has already expressed interest in playing on next season, but I think that will depend on how much game-time he gets

If we can keep SNOS, Faulks and Dawson we will have some very good KPP backmen for the next 5-10 years+ and I have no doubt McPharlin will keep playing until at least the end of 2014

Well he's playing a lot of wafl and mark Harvey mentioned it to a journo as he obviously rates Alex higher than Lyon does.

Do you guys want to retain him? I see him moving on either to qld or a vic club.

Too talented to be running around for Claremont IMO. Lyon is too in love with Dawson a similar type player.

Silvangi seems to find it difficult playing the defensive mindset game plan Lyon plays, if he struggles by years end we should trade him, cant compare him to any of our defenders now, they've all taken such huge steps (best defense i've seen since early Geelong days) Once Faulks comes in and plays way hes been playing for Peel, there ain't no room for him :(

We need depth for KPP stocks - SNOS fits the mould, keep him I say

Grover has already expressed interest in playing on next season, but I think that will depend on how much game-time he gets

If we can keep SNOS, Faulks and Dawson we will have some very good KPP backmen for the next 5-10 years+ and I have no doubt McPharlin will keep playing until at least the end of 2014
we can't pay him good $$$ if hes a 5th stringer defeneder, we gotta get ruthless and i think thats what we going to be at the end of the year, expect shock axings/trades with Crowley, McPhee, Silvangi leading way, no offense to those guys but you wont win a premiership playing Crowley in your team for 23 rounds, same unfortunately could be said about McPhee, expect GWS to be very interested in Crowley, any shitty team without certicifed tagger will want him, there not too interested in his foot skills as top teams will be

Wouldn't be surprised if GWS wanted all 3, Crowles, SNOS and McPhee. Hardness, defensive pressure for a team that is averaging 113 losing margin over last 4 weeks.

That should be enough for Hogan and their 2nd round selection. I think this trade would hurt us for a couple of years though, these guys would all be in my best 22 at the moment with our current injury list.

I agree 100%

Also the whole point of a squad is to build depth. If we traded Silvagni it would defeat the purpose of that very thing. Plus the very fact that McPhee may leave, Grover isn't getting any younger and all of the above.

Finally a bit of sense. If some of you shared a brain you would connect the dots (I'll try and keep it simple):
  • Ross plays a very specific zone strategy in defence that most players have never encountered in their 20 or so years of football and which is not played in the WAFL either.
  • Dawson has learnt that strategy under Ross over the past number of years and although his basic football skills are below a few others, he knows the strategy inside out and knows exactly what Ross wants him to do and where he wants him to be. So, even if he makes the odd stuff up e.g. punches across the boundary an easy mark when on his own, or a poor pass out of defence, he is still the perfect #2 for Ross in his back set up.
  • Johnson plays the perfect #3 for Ross' set up as the floating tall across half back. Why? Because he has never matched up well on a tall or small forward as we've seen in past years, he loves to be left on his own and take uncontested grabs and then set up the play going forward. That's why he has been great this year except when I saw him struggle last weekend when he was put in Dawson's #2 position and had to match up on the 2nd tall and be accountable for the surrounding space (with Grover off). He looked like a fish out of water at times, believe me I watched the replay twice.
  • McPharlin is #1 in Ross' setup and gets the straightforward 1 on 1 with the opposition's no. 1 tall forward. So he gets to play the same football he has always played, he got a full pre-season and hasn't missed a game. So as usual, with not much new for him to learn except in the kick outs he can play his usual game and look awesome as usual.
  • So why did Silvagni look so average and have the expression on his face like he had woken up on another planet in the 2 or 3 games he has played this year, when he looked as sturdy in defence as McPharlin last year picking up some of the game's best tall forwards? In my opinion, he currently is having to take the natural one on one game that has brought him to AFL and adjust to this #2 position of Ross' that Dawson has been trained in and played in for years now. I don't think he can adjust to it and do a perfect job that the supporters expect in two games as I'm sure Dawson didn't when he came to the Saints (ask any Saints fan - Plugger35's a start). Getting Silvagni to adjust to Ross' game plan for that position will take time. But we have seen what he can do 1 on 1 and that is why I am horrified at the suggestions on here to throw the baby out with the bathwater. With the skills he showed last year he would go to another club that has a more normal defensive setup and be a champion. We've seen his potential. We're not guessing here. Do u think McPharlin is going to play for ever? No, 2 years max for me. Then who? Dawson plays the #2 position as discussed above. We have seen Silvagni play that #1 posiiton of McPharlin's really well and for me, he is the perfect replacement. We just need to give him time to learn the #2 role and remain backup for his preferred role as #1 replacement if McPharlin goes down which could happen any game (touch wood). To trade him now for a 50:50 draft pick that may just turn out to be another Michie, Sibo, Roberts, or even a Morabito would just be a complete F'up.
  • Finishing rant soon, but people, see the bigger picture and not the lotto win or Big Footy board dream of picking up some injure-free superstar of the game that will lead us to glory. We should keep our talent and buy in and draft our newbies. Let's move away from the Freo of old...please! There isn't always a pot of gold at the end of an early round draft pick. I'd rather we stuck with the bag of Silvar we have already.

Gold ..its a full blown rant but youve thrown in a couple of bullet points to trick us into thinking its an exec summary.

Finally a bit of sense. If some of you shared a brain you would connect the dots (I'll try and keep it simple):
  • Ross plays a very specific zone strategy in defence that most players have never encountered in their 20 or so years of football and which is not played in the WAFL either.
  • Dawson has learnt that strategy under Ross over the past number of years and although his basic football skills are below a few others, he knows the strategy inside out and knows exactly what Ross wants him to do and where he wants him to be. So, even if he makes the odd stuff up e.g. punches across the boundary an easy mark when on his own, or a poor pass out of defence, he is still the perfect #2 for Ross in his back set up.
  • Johnson plays the perfect #3 for Ross' set up as the floating tall across half back. Why? Because he has never matched up well on a tall or small forward as we've seen in past years, he loves to be left on his own and take uncontested grabs and then set up the play going forward. That's why he has been great this year except when I saw him struggle last weekend when he was put in Dawson's #2 position and had to match up on the 2nd tall and be accountable for the surrounding space (with Grover off). He looked like a fish out of water at times, believe me I watched the replay twice.
  • McPharlin is #1 in Ross' setup and gets the straightforward 1 on 1 with the opposition's no. 1 tall forward. So he gets to play the same football he has always played, he got a full pre-season and hasn't missed a game. So as usual, with not much new for him to learn except in the kick outs he can play his usual game and look awesome as usual.
  • So why did Silvagni look so average and have the expression on his face like he had woken up on another planet in the 2 or 3 games he has played this year, when he looked as sturdy in defence as McPharlin last year picking up some of the game's best tall forwards? In my opinion, he currently is having to take the natural one on one game that has brought him to AFL and adjust to this #2 position of Ross' that Dawson has been trained in and played in for years now. I don't think he can adjust to it and do a perfect job that the supporters expect in two games as I'm sure Dawson didn't when he came to the Saints (ask any Saints fan - Plugger35's a start). Getting Silvagni to adjust to Ross' game plan for that position will take time. But we have seen what he can do 1 on 1 and that is why I am horrified at the suggestions on here to throw the baby out with the bathwater. With the skills he showed last year he would go to another club that has a more normal defensive setup and be a champion. We've seen his potential. We're not guessing here. Do u think McPharlin is going to play for ever? No, 2 years max for me. Then who? Dawson plays the #2 position as discussed above. We have seen Silvagni play that #1 posiiton of McPharlin's really well and for me, he is the perfect replacement. We just need to give him time to learn the #2 role and remain backup for his preferred role as #1 replacement if McPharlin goes down which could happen any game (touch wood). To trade him now for a 50:50 draft pick that may just turn out to be another Michie, Sibo, Roberts, or even a Morabito would just be a complete F'up.
  • Finishing rant soon, but people, see the bigger picture and not the lotto win or Big Footy board dream of picking up some injure-free superstar of the game that will lead us to glory. We should keep our talent and buy in and draft our newbies. Let's move away from the Freo of old...please! There isn't always a pot of gold at the end of an early round draft pick. I'd rather we stuck with the bag of Silvar we have already.

Thats all well and good.... whats the excuse for his horribly bad form at wafl level? I can understand to a point silvagni not adjusting to the speed of the AFL... but at wafl level, if he is nearly as good as what many on here suggest, he should be dominating for claremont... one of the best sides in the wafl... instead, for most of the year he has been rubbish at best

I agree we shouldn't trade SNOS but if he gets minimal games next year(heaven forbid),SNOS IMO will request a trade which screws us due to SNOS coming out of contract.So do you act while the club has control,or run the risk of getting nothing,because of the PSD,exactly how we landed Dawson?

I'd hold onto him and worry about the rest as it comes.

People were using that same argument to say we should trade Griffin last year and that worked out ok for us.

I'd hold onto him and worry about the rest as it comes.

People were using that same argument to say we should trade Griffin last year and that worked out ok for us.

slightly different situations, but true. Mcpharlin isnt far away from the old folks home... when he goes, there is a position there for silvagni's taking. Keeping silvagni has its benefits for sure. I guess it all depends on what we could get for him... if he isnt getting a game for our side now given how poor we are, chances are his value isnt great, we would have to package him up with something else and need to ensure that we got a player pretty special in return i.e martin, hogan etc... otherwise keeping him would be the safest bet

slightly different situations, but true. Mcpharlin isnt far away from the old folks home... when he goes, there is a position there for silvagni's taking.

Can easily see McPharlin playing 3 more seasons without too much trouble. And he can easily step back from being the rock in defence to being a general from the flankers position.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back