Rumour Silvagni trade value?

Remove this Banner Ad

Another Docker leaves to become a champion player elsewhere..de ja vu

SCOS is solid but unless we are being loose with the term 'champion' - no fear there.

If SCOS wants to leave for more playing time - no issues with that and we get use the compo in a strong draft to keep adding midfield depth.

If SCOS wants to stay and fight - good.

As long as we are hanging tough with keeping early picks - I'm happy.

Tarrant leaving was a blow, SCOS leaving damages depth.

It doesn't just damage our depth, it rapes it. No Grover, Silvagni, McPharlin gone in a couple of years, we'd be up the creek.

Oh, and then there's the forwards....

At about the same height and weight, surely a great replacement for McPhee should he hang up the boots this year?

If we got a 2nd round pick they should erect a bronze statue of Bond.

I'd rather keep him but his MV would be down

i'd rather keep him too. just needs to get up to speed and show his wares. the dude's so injury prone, though.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Lyon said on his latest 6PR interview that Silvagni is a required player and he and Dawson will be the 2 key backs for the club once McPharlin has retired. He won't be traded this year and he has all of 2013 to prove the coach right.

GWS need a key back , with dawson coming in last year we have an excess of key backs so could afford to let SCOS or Faulks go for the right price. If Faulks doesn't get a game this week he is in trouble. If one does go expect Grover get one more year and a WAFL/VFL/SANFL key back rookie turn up on our list. Or we can keep both and Grover retires. Either way another tick to Bond and FFC footy dpt for list management.

SCOS is solid but unless we are being loose with the term 'champion' - no fear there.

If SCOS wants to leave for more playing time - no issues with that and we get use the compo in a strong draft to keep adding midfield depth.

If SCOS wants to stay and fight - good.

As long as we are hanging tough with keeping early picks - I'm happy.

Tarrant leaving was a blow, SCOS leaving damages depth.
Amen. He's at best a B grade defender. At best.

Replaceable by any number of state league players.

Lyon said on his latest 6PR interview that Silvagni is a required player and he and Dawson will be the 2 key backs for the club once McPharlin has retired. He won't be traded this year and he has all of 2013 to prove the coach right.

That is fair enough that he backs him. I am happy with that, with the caveat that everyone can be traded if the right trade is there, eg Silvagni + 2nd rounder for Hogan.

In July everybody is a required player. In October, all but a select few are up for grabs for the right price.

Seems like he is a nice guy but I will be the first person to be surprised if he becomes a champion player. He is a good player but has shown nothing to suggest he is going to be a champion.

He's taken some great marks under pressure & I like him a lot - he seems a real calm 'solid citizen' type defender & hasn't been anywhere near his best in those 2 games he's played this season. I'm pretty happy for Lyon to retain him as a future replacement for McPharlin.

BUT, I reckon the Dockers should be quietly shopping him around as a straight swap for an up & coming Key Fwd. Ignoring Grover & Mcphee, we've got Scos, Dawson, Johnson, Faulks & Roberton as defenders listed at >= 191cm. Given our long depth in this position & our complete lack of depth in tall Fwds, we'd be negligent not to ask.

As opposed to Faulks & Roberton, I reckon that Silvagni would command some serious interest from other clubs.

Finally a bit of sense. If some of you shared a brain you would connect the dots (I'll try and keep it simple):
  • Ross plays a very specific zone strategy in defence that most players have never encountered in their 20 or so years of football and which is not played in the WAFL either.
  • Dawson has learnt that strategy under Ross over the past number of years and although his basic football skills are below a few others, he knows the strategy inside out and knows exactly what Ross wants him to do and where he wants him to be. So, even if he makes the odd stuff up e.g. punches across the boundary an easy mark when on his own, or a poor pass out of defence, he is still the perfect #2 for Ross in his back set up.
  • Johnson plays the perfect #3 for Ross' set up as the floating tall across half back. Why? Because he has never matched up well on a tall or small forward as we've seen in past years, he loves to be left on his own and take uncontested grabs and then set up the play going forward. That's why he has been great this year except when I saw him struggle last weekend when he was put in Dawson's #2 position and had to match up on the 2nd tall and be accountable for the surrounding space (with Grover off). He looked like a fish out of water at times, believe me I watched the replay twice.
  • McPharlin is #1 in Ross' setup and gets the straightforward 1 on 1 with the opposition's no. 1 tall forward. So he gets to play the same football he has always played, he got a full pre-season and hasn't missed a game. So as usual, with not much new for him to learn except in the kick outs he can play his usual game and look awesome as usual.
  • So why did Silvagni look so average and have the expression on his face like he had woken up on another planet in the 2 or 3 games he has played this year, when he looked as sturdy in defence as McPharlin last year picking up some of the game's best tall forwards? In my opinion, he currently is having to take the natural one on one game that has brought him to AFL and adjust to this #2 position of Ross' that Dawson has been trained in and played in for years now. I don't think he can adjust to it and do a perfect job that the supporters expect in two games as I'm sure Dawson didn't when he came to the Saints (ask any Saints fan - Plugger35's a start). Getting Silvagni to adjust to Ross' game plan for that position will take time. But we have seen what he can do 1 on 1 and that is why I am horrified at the suggestions on here to throw the baby out with the bathwater. With the skills he showed last year he would go to another club that has a more normal defensive setup and be a champion. We've seen his potential. We're not guessing here. Do u think McPharlin is going to play for ever? No, 2 years max for me. Then who? Dawson plays the #2 position as discussed above. We have seen Silvagni play that #1 posiiton of McPharlin's really well and for me, he is the perfect replacement. We just need to give him time to learn the #2 role and remain backup for his preferred role as #1 replacement if McPharlin goes down which could happen any game (touch wood). To trade him now for a 50:50 draft pick that may just turn out to be another Michie, Sibo, Roberts, or even a Morabito would just be a complete F'up.
  • Finishing rant soon, but people, see the bigger picture and not the lotto win or Big Footy board dream of picking up some injure-free superstar of the game that will lead us to glory. We should keep our talent and buy in and draft our newbies. Let's move away from the Freo of old...please! There isn't always a pot of gold at the end of an early round draft pick. I'd rather we stuck with the bag of Silvar we have already.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back