Opinion Simmo is on very thin ice or he will be sanderson 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

We underestimate Pykes influence and probably should of made him coach instead of Simmo I'm starting to think.

We underestimate Pykes influence and probably should of made him coach instead of Simmo I'm starting to think.

He'd been out of footy for about five years before joining the panel under Simmo.

2015 we overachieved. Every level headed eagles fan will tell you this. We made a grand final with no KP defenders and a b-grade midfield, which is massive credit to Simpson. So it's bewildering to see supporters rage that we're not sitting top of the ladder undefeated :huh:

Our next 7 games are all winnable, probably should win all 7. We could very well find ourselves sitting in the top 4 and supporters will again have delusions about our premiership chances. You never know, things could click at the right time and nek minit we're in the Grand Final again. But let's not explode every time we lose, in an 18 team comp a top 4 finish is incredibly difficult let alone winning a flag.

Simpson caned them at training today. So lets see if that makes a difference.

Annoyed that he says Le Cras is safe. If he stays in he should stay in a forward pocket. In the midfield he just has no legs left to chase and tackle.

R u just going by "Pyke left and we r worse so must be because he left"? Or do u actually have details and not be a simpleton.

Let's not forget Pyke at Adelaide is using Simpsons brand he helped develop at hawthorn and implemented at west coast. For all the talk about Adelaide, they r still 7th. Let's not get too excited.

I think people r thinking he has some magic setup at stoppages that opposition can't handle and will never work out and never try to stop. Afl isn't that complicated game regarding things like that.

R u just going by "Pyke left and we r worse so must be because he left"? Or do u actually have details and not be a simpleton.

Let's not forget Pyke at Adelaide is using Simpsons brand he helped develop at hawthorn and implemented at west coast. For all the talk about Adelaide, they r still 7th. Let's not get too excited.

I think people r thinking he has some magic setup at stoppages that opposition can't handle and will never work out and never try to stop. Afl isn't that complicated game regarding things like that.

This. The miserable complaints that we've doomed ourselves to failure because we didn't hang onto Pyke are getting a bit tiresome. I doubt anyone really knows much about what direct influence he had on our strategy.

Our talent drops away alarmingly after our best 15 and after 10 years - amazingly - our midfield is still our main problem. Big gaping hole in our list off the back of some comically bad drafting about 5-6 years ago. Shame really because in McGovern, NicNat and Kennedy we probably have the best spine we've ever had.

None of which matters the AFL have pretty much handed GWS a dynasty

Have to learn how to throw the ball more too. Teams have been getting away with it all year

You are absolutely right, Adelaide and bulldogs last 2 weeks it has been so obvious yet the umpires have picked it up maybe twice, Hawks have been getting away with it for the last few years

simmo inherited a shit midfield from the prodigal son worsfold. worsfold and team selections over the seven years after the premiership were average at best with only a handful being successful players and the rest flops.

worsfold shouldve been sacked back in 2010. that way 6 years of proper recruitment wouldve complimented the decent spine we now have and been a bigger threat.

now we may have missed the boat yet again due to a shit midfield and the fact kennedy and lecras are nearing 30.

We were in a grand final last year, its hardly the time to say Simpson is on thin ice.

And for the record, I know Andrew Gaff's gf in a social circle capacity, and she is a teacher and when we are talking about life and the future, she has said "well I like teaching, because in a few years when we are in Melbourne, I can easily get another job out there". Gaff won't be an Eagle for life, that is a definite. So we will trade him after the next contact, and we only just lost to the bulldogs, and we should have won last week, it's hardly crisis time, jesus some of the tampons being thrown around this thread is ridiculous.

Last edited:
We were in a grand final last year, its hardly the time to say Simpson is on thin ice.

And for the record, I know Andrew Gaff's gf in a social circle capacity, and she is a teacher and when we are talking about life and the future, she has said "well I like teaching, because in a few years when we are in Melbourne, I can easily get another job out there". Gaff won't be an Eagle for life, that is a definite. So we will trade him after the next contact, and we only just lost to the bulldogs, and we should have won last week, it's hardly crisis time, jesus some of the tampons being thrown around this thread is ridiculous.

Did you actually ask her if Gaff wants to go home or did you just read too much into a conversation that may have been out of context?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did you actually ask her if Gaff wants to go home or did you just read too much into a conversation that may have been out of context?

Gaff would never say it, he just kinda nods his head when she talks about it, but she has mentioned it more than once about being in Melbourne in the near future.

So... maybe just maybe Simmo read this thread. He has gone nuts with the changes.Dropping Lycett, not recalling Emac, dropping Ellis and dropping Duggan. hahahahahahah. Get rid off Masten and I will be happy :)

the thing that continues to be concerning about simpson, is that he has failed to instill any self belief or mental fortitude in this group. we continually crumble under pressure. we go to pieces when challenged in big games. although tactically astute, he does not seem to be an inspirational figure who truly commands the collective group.

he under-achieved massively in his first year and over-achieved somewhat in his second. he's now on track to under-achieve massively again in year 3, which will put him back behind the mark in terms of delivering what we as a club should expect from a senior coach.

We should give credit where credit is due: We are very good at hand balling to stationary players in worse positions than the ball carrier.
They were doing this in 2014 but last year with the different game plan there was a lot more run and effort in the players, but they seemed to have reverted back to their 2014 form for whatever reason??

the thing that continues to be concerning about simpson, is that he has failed to instill any self belief or mental fortitude in this group. we continually crumble under pressure. we go to pieces when challenged in big games. although tactically astute, he does not seem to be an inspirational figure who truly commands the collective group.

he under-achieved massively in his first year and over-achieved somewhat in his second. he's now on track to under-achieve massively again in year 3, which will put him back behind the mark in terms of delivering what we as a club should expect from a senior coach.
Grand Final hangover by both players and coach?

Remove this Banner Ad

Opinion Simmo is on very thin ice or he will be sanderson 2.0

Remove this Banner Ad

Back