Simon Dalrymple - 2009 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

blowesy

Senior List
Aug 3, 2008
Essendon
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
It's fair to stay the state of the list is far from ideal at present, without stating the obvious!
But I decided to have a look through recent drafts since Dalrymple has been our head recruited. Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing I really feel worried heading into this draft that he may yet again make crucial errors.
Picked up Christian Howard with pick 15 (He was touted as more likely to go in the rookie draft than the national yet we used a first round pick) Only a few picks later a number of stars were drafted, in particular Nat Fyfe!
Pick 31 we drafted Jason Tutt (another player not expected too go until later in the draft) Yet we used a 2nd round! Sam Reid goes a few picks later!
Markovic, Thorne were also drafted
Rookies; Moles, Hooper, Panos, Prato and Rose
I really feel that this was a complete waste of a year and is key reason there is a major hole in our list! Especially when you look at the number of talented players that were drafted and available to us!

That isn't a great draft for us at all but you're completely wrong on Howard, if he was really a chance to go rookie draft do you think we would have used pick 15 on him? We didn't grab some random kid off the street to do our recruiting, he obviously knew at least a little bit ... If we thought Howard would have been there in the second round then we would have waited, we obviously knew he wouldn't have (Adelaide was going to take him)

Besides both Tutt and Howard are coming along nicely. Also there is always going to be a better player taken later in the draft, that's just how it works. You can't expect us to get it 100% right.

Picked up Christian Howard with pick 15 (He was touted as more likely to go in the rookie draft than the national yet we used a first round pick) Only a few picks later a number of stars were drafted, in particular Nat Fyfe!

Don't know where you got your info from but Howard was widely regarded as a second round pick. I hate it when people make shit up to get a point across, do people not realise it makes them come across as clueless idiots. Will never be a Fyfe but still has time to be a good player.

That isn't a great draft for us at all but you're completely wrong on Howard, if he was really a chance to go rookie draft do you think we would have used pick 15 on him? We didn't grab some random kid off the street to do our recruiting, he obviously knew at least a little bit ...

It's pretty common knowledge that Adelaide were going to take Howard with their 2nd rounder. As we finished higher then the Crows the dogs bit the bullet and grabbed him at 15. I suspect if not for the Crows, dogs would've looked for him in the 2nd round.

Still that's a long way off a rookie list.

It's fair to stay the state of the list is far from ideal at present, without stating the obvious!
But I decided to have a look through recent drafts since Dalrymple has been our head recruited. Whilst hindsight is a wonderful thing I really feel worried heading into this draft that he may yet again make crucial errors.
Pick 31 we drafted Jason Tutt (another player not expected too go until later in the draft) Yet we used a 2nd round! Sam Reid goes a few picks later!
Markovic, Thorne were also drafted
Rookies; Moles, Hooper, Panos, Prato and Rose
I really feel that this was a complete waste of a year and is key reason there is a major hole in our list! Especially when you look at the number of talented players that were drafted and available to us!

Every recruiter has made errors. You've also chosen to overlook his last 2 drafts?

In 2010, after taking Wallis and Liberatore, our first live pick was 74. We took Jayden Schofield. The kid is a gun. What happened later is no fault of Dalrymple's. We then took Skinner with 88 and Dahlhaus and Johannisen as rookies.

Last year we took Smith, Talia, Pearce, Dickson in the National Draft, Roberts in the Pre-Season and Jong and Campbell as rookies. Flawless drafting. I'd actually challenge you to find a player that we overlooked.

You shouldn't have any worries about Dalrymple.

Every recruiter has made errors. You've also chosen to overlook his last 2 drafts?

In 2010, after taking Wallis and Liberatore, our first live pick was 74. We took Jayden Schofield. The kid is a gun. What happened later is no fault of Dalrymple's. We then took Skinner with 88 and Dahlhaus and Johannisen as rookies.

Last year we took Smith, Talia, Pearce, Dickson in the National Draft, Roberts in the Pre-Season and Jong and Campbell as rookies. Flawless drafting. I'd actually challenge you to find a player that we overlooked.

Hm, flawless drafting? Smith and Talia?

He seems to favour young players who can't kick. Only a minor problem with AFL.....

Don't know where you got your info from but Howard was widely regarded as a second round pick. I hate it when people make shit up to get a point across, do people not realise it makes them come across as clueless idiots. Will never be a Fyfe but still has time to be a good player.
Your actually a goat if you believe that! He was never touted as a 2nd round pick! And when questioned about why he took him so early Dalrymple said he thought Adelaide might get him! No one from Adelaide ever said that, Just our recruiter justifying his error

Hm, flawless drafting? Smith and Talia?

He seems to favour young players who can't kick. Only a minor problem with AFL.....

Go through the draft and look at what was available at the time we took Smith and Talia. And then do it for Pearce and Dickson. And then, on revealed form to this date, show me a player we chose to overlook for any of them who has shown more.

Wallis and libba were gifts! Skinner is not up to AFL level!
Dickson and Cambell were clearly drafted due to McCarthy and Shannon grants influence!
Along with smith being drafted because of McCarthy
I agree Dahlhaus was a gem! But you can't really judge on last years draft yet!

I wrote a long post about 'Moneyball' at the time:
http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/the-year-we-blew-up-convention.657025/#post-16378517

Howard was a risk that hasn't paid off yet, and IMO probably won't. Tutt, I think will end up a fair value for a second rounder. Marko's been serviceable and Panos may yet get a game (!?). A pretty so-so result, but some perspective is needed.

I followed that draft pretty close, and no-one was loading up on Fyfe and Reid to become the players they are now. We were closely liked to Dan Talia and Lewis Jetta, but didn't get a shot at them. If anything, I was miffed we didn't pick Luke Tapscott or Koby Stevens, and they've both done bugger all.

As for my post above, it's weird how much has changed in 3 years, aye.

Wallis and libba were gifts! Skinner is not up to AFL level!
Dickson and Cambell were clearly drafted due to McCarthy and Shannon grants influence!
Along with smith being drafted because of McCarthy
I agree Dahlhaus was a gem! But you can't really judge on last years draft yet!

So the guy who is head of recruiting at the club shall get no credit for our recruiting? And I suppose you have mail or an inside source that told you Dalrymple had nothing to do with the selection of Smith, Dickson or Campbell?

I agree with you. Dalrymple is a flog, lets just expand McCartney's role and make him chief scout, recruiter. (y)

If it's too early to judge last year's draft, then it's still too early to judge Christian Howard. Therefore, pointless thread.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stupid thread. You're using one year as an example as to why Dalrymple is crap. I think our last few years of recruiting has been really good, especially in heavily compromised drafts. Yes Christian Howard was a left of field selection, but obviously they saw something in him that would fill our needs going forward. Dont forget so many people rated Panos to go in the first round at one stage. Would you be saying the same thing if we picked Panos up with 15 just because people "rated him" before hand? Of course not. You'd probably be saying "hes still developing" and "he needs time".

Why on draft day was he the only player in the top 50 that didn't have a player profile on the AFL website? Because they didn't expect him to get drafted! Well known he was a huge smokie!
Dickson and Cambell played for Bendigo last year, well known Essendon were keen on both yet we took their coaches and we end up with them!
And the whole crozier smith thing has been written about many a time!

How can you say it's flawless drafting when most of these players have hardly played?

As for the thread, I called our 09 draft a failure the very moment I found out who we drafted, and got crucified here for it. Hindsight hurt?

Stupid thread. You're using one year as an example as to why Dalrymple is crap. I think our last few years of recruiting has been really good, especially in heavily compromised drafts. Yes Christian Howard was a left of field selection, but obviously they saw something in him that would fill our needs going forward. Dont forget so many people rated Panos to go in the first round at one stage. Would you be saying the same thing if we picked Panos up with 15 just because people "rated him" before hand? Of course not. You'd probably be saying "hes still developing" and "he needs time".
The thread actually stated that this draft was a key reason why we have fallen away so badly! Would you disagree ?

How can you say it's flawless drafting when most of these players have hardly played?

As for the thread, I called our 09 draft a failure the very moment I found out who we drafted, and got crucified here for it. Hindsight hurt?

The same way you called our 09 draft a failure the very moment you found out who we drafted.

The thread actually stated that this draft was a key reason why we have fallen away so badly! Would you disagree ?
Yes I would disagree.
Firstly, its way too soon to ride off those players and call them failed picks.
Secondly, no club would bank on picks 15, 31, 63 & 76 to rebuild their list. Most of those are a lottery.

Not one player from the 09 draft is a mainstay in our starting 22....the leaves a huge whole in any list! It along with the 06 draft have killed us!

The same way you called our 09 draft a failure the very moment you found out who we drafted.
Two completely different calls. I thought our 09 drafting was terrible, and 3 years later, it's starting to show.

As for you, after 1 year, you're already saying our 2011 draft was flawless, even though most of the players have barely played. If you think they'll prove to be excellent selections in the future, that's good, but for now, nothing's been proven.

That suggestion is self-evidently ridiculous.

You are implying the reason we slid in 2011 was because our 19 and 20 year olds weren't up to scratch? And if we'd just replaced Tutt and Howard with 2 superior 21 year olds this year we would have won 10 more games?

Utter fantasy.

Two completely different calls. I thought our 09 drafting was terrible, and 3 years later, it's starting to show.

As for you, after 1 year, you're already saying our 2011 draft was flawless, even though most of the players have barely played. If you think they'll prove to be excellent selections in the future, that's good, but for now, nothing's been proven.

I'm still struggling to see the difference in the calls, but let's be honest, no one really cares whether you are proven to be right or wrong in regards to the 09 draft. The only person here who is impressed with your foresight and vision seems to be yourself.

If you can call the 09 draft a failure immediately after, before a ball had even been kicked, then I can most definitely call our 2011 draft flawless after a season. In doing so, this should dispel any fears that Dalrymple isn't the right man to lead us in 2012.

Everyone is a master in hindsight aren't they :rolleyes:

Tell you what, a Fyfe at the club would be handy. I still think Howard will be a good player, and I have massive hopes for Tutty. Hopefully it pans out well for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Dalrymple - 2009 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Back