Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

It's only a guess but we must be considering picking him with pick 23 or 28 because it would seem unlikely that he'd last until the rookie draft which would be the next opportunity for us to pick him

I'm then guessing that your recruiters would be hoping that we pass on him and that non wa clubs are suitably frightened off such that he lasts until pick 58 or if not you may have to consider using 29

Had he not been prelisted by gws and not suffered homesickness a mid 20's pick wouldn't have seemed unreasonable given that he obviously had the talent to draw the interest of gws to begin with

I'd be surprised if he doesn't end up at either west coast or freo at which time supporters of both clubs will come to a conclusion on his abilities (or lack of) based on which team recruits him

Tunbridge was on ch 9 tonight. It was reported that he rejected the offer to train with Wet Toast. He has been training by himself and would love to be picked up by Freo or e girls.

Wow, why? If he is happy to play for either us or them why would he not train with West Coast? Weird, thanks for sharing though. I missed that.

Yeah found that a bit weird. Youd think if he genuinely wanted to pick up by WC he would have trained with them. I get the feeling that he just wants to stay in WA, and id say Freo is his preferred option. Thats not based on any fact, just a gut feeling. Also there was a caller on 6PR this week who has watched him play a bit and likened him to Jack Darling. Must say he looked a unit on TV.

I work with one of his friends who has been talking to him. He has talked to both wa clubs but has as much of a clue as the rest of us as to where he will end up. He hasn't made up his mind on whether he will go if picked by an interstate club. Depends on the club I'd assume.

Is training at home in dongara. Probably just wants to be at home given he's spent a bit of time away from home and came home due to homesickness. Not a huge surprise

Fair enough. Makes it sound highly unlikely that an interstate club will draft him.

I work with one of his friends who has been talking to him. He has talked to both wa clubs but has as much of a clue as the rest of us as to where he will end up. He hasn't made up his mind on whether he will go if picked by an interstate club. Depends on the club I'd assume.

Can they do that?!

Surely theres a rule saying if you nominate for the draft you have to go to the club that selects you, no questions asked. I suppose he can sit out of the game for 2 years and nominate again at the end of that?

Fair enough. Makes it sound highly unlikely that an interstate club will draft him.

Very unlikely that an interstate club would pick him early you'd think so he should be available for us at 28 or you guys at 29. He does have talent though so I wouldn't be surprised if an interstate club rolled the dice with a pick in the 40's or 50's in the hope that they could do a better job of settling him in than GWS did - an established club would be in a much better position to do this as well.

If he falls through to pick 58 you blokes will be getting a bargain.

Can they do that?!

Surely theres a rule saying if you nominate for the draft you have to go to the club that selects you, no questions asked. I suppose he can sit out of the game for 2 years and nominate again at the end of that?

I've always wondered about this as well - if a club asks a player if they are prepared to move and he flat out says no that would be against the spirit of the draft and you'd think it would be considered draft tampering.

But what if the player says he'll go but will seek a trade back to his home state at the earliest opportunity, what then? He isn't refusing to go but is making it clear he doesn't intend on sticking around so is that draft tampering or just being honest. If I was a recruiter I'd prefer to know if a potential recruit was intending to go home because that would surely influence my decision.

Can they do that?!

More likely you would sit out one and be delisted.

Big call.

On the face of it, his actions to date are hardly indicative of a kid that is desperate to play in the AFL. Whether that's actually reflective of his intentions I don't know, but he's clearly a pretty big risk.

Bugger me, why would you turn down the opportunity to train with an AFL club? :confused:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Very unlikely that an interstate club would pick him early you'd think so he should be available for us at 28 or you guys at 29. He does have talent though so I wouldn't be surprised if an interstate club rolled the dice with a pick in the 40's or 50's in the hope that they could do a better job of settling him in than GWS did - an established club would be in a much better position to do this as well.

If he falls through to pick 58 you blokes will be getting a bargain.

I've always wondered about this as well - if a club asks a player if they are prepared to move and he flat out says no that would be against the spirit of the draft and you'd think it would be considered draft tampering.

But what if the player says he'll go but will seek a trade back to his home state at the earliest opportunity, what then? He isn't refusing to go but is making it clear he doesn't intend on sticking around so is that draft tampering or just being honest. If I was a recruiter I'd prefer to know if a potential recruit was intending to go home because that would surely influence my decision.

I've run that exact same scenario in my head. I'm sure it would cause an uproar, especially if you were one of the best players in the country. But ultimately it would be doing the best thing by the interstate club that was interested in drafting you. They would want to know if they were recruting a 200 game player or a 44 game player.

What we are seeing is players getting a bit ballsy instead of the usual I would just be happy to play routine and being chewed up by the afl draft machine and ending up at port adelaide.
Bad attitude, dont know, if he gets to go to Freo and plays a few 100 quality games I would be happy.

This topic has been discussed before on Drfats threads I think. My undertsanding is;

If a player enters the Draft they contractually agree to abide by the AFL's rules and regulations, which include accepting a contract to play for whatever team selects them. Turnbridge would sign a contract to enter the Draft which includes that in it.

If he then refused to go to whichever club selected him he would be breaching that contract.

I have no idea what consequences may follow, but I would think the AFL would impose a sanction keeping him out of AFL for a very long time. He would effectively be putting his AFL career on ice, and I would think a club could consider legal action as they have selected him in good faith, and he has failed to honour the contract to abide by the AFL Draft rules.

As a pre-selected 17 year old there would be differences. Being under-age may have had some employment issues regarding player welfare such as seems to have happened, providing an "out" for him. Certainly GWS seem to have let him go easily enough. I can't quite see why he wasn't traded in a similar way to how we got Faulks and Mzungu.

This topic has been discussed before on Drfats threads I think. My undertsanding is;

If a player enters the Draft they contractually agree to abide by the AFL's rules and regulations, which include accepting a contract to play for whatever team selects them. Turnbridge would sign a contract to enter the Draft which includes that in it.

If he then refused to go to whichever club selected him he would be breaching that contract.

I have no idea what consequences may follow, but I would think the AFL would impose a sanction keeping him out of AFL for a very long time. He would effectively be putting his AFL career on ice, and I would think a club could consider legal action as they have selected him in good faith, and he has failed to honour the contract to abide by the AFL Draft rules.

As a pre-selected 17 year old there would be differences. Being under-age may have had some employment issues regarding player welfare such as seems to have happened, providing an "out" for him. Certainly GWS seem to have let him go easily enough. I can't quite see why he wasn't traded in a similar way to how we got Faulks and Mzungu.

On the first point, i have a feeling it is a 2 year sanction. I remember this because when jarrad schofield was trying to get to freo, north melbourne showed interest, he effectively told them that if they selected him, he would retire, the afl then said that if you refuse to play for a club that has drafted you, a 2 year sanction will be imposed... which at the time was a joke because he would of just retired anyhow..... Im pretty sure the same applies for young draftees. It certainly doesnt stop clubs selecting players who they think are the best available either. Des Headland to brissy and ben mckinley in tears when the eagles selected him are two examples, but then again who could blame mckinley if ;)

on the second point, i just wonder if tunbridge went home to dongara without saying a word, and was uncontactable, whether he just refused to answer calls etc from GWS. GWS cant trade a player who is contactable to agree to the deal... and it is that point which really makes me question whether he really wants to play footy. im sure that it could have been easily enough to organise a trade to either us or the addicts

on the second point, i just wonder if tunbridge went home to dongara without saying a word, and was uncontactable, whether he just refused to answer calls etc from GWS. GWS cant trade a player who is contactable to agree to the deal... and it is that point which really makes me question whether he really wants to play footy. im sure that it could have been easily enough to organise a trade to either us or the addicts

GWS hasn't said anything at all about what happened. Maybe they have too much space on their list already accounted for throught the draft period. Maybe they were too busy during trade week to organise a trade. Or maybe Tunbridge just walked out without giving them any notice. He may have done the wrong thing but I still don't question his desire to play AFL footy for a WA team.

Talented or not I dont think this kid is worth risking a top 30 pick on, I'd leave him til 58 and if somebody else wants to take the risk so be it. I can understand being homesick and wanting to be closer to home but his actions at the moment (knocking back training at WC) seem to indicate he might be as much of a risk as Manson with a heap less upside.

Devils Advocate here....maybe its a subtle FO to Wet Toast as Freo have said we wil pick you up son. From what ive heard hes a Freo fan.

If he gets past the eagles at 28 I reckon he is a lock for our next pick. Given I know nothing about him other than that GWS rated him, that seems like a win. Yay draft week. Not looking forward to the footy tundra that is december and jan.

If he gets past the eagles at 28 I reckon he is a lock for our next pick. Given I know nothing about him other than that GWS rated him, that seems like a win. Yay draft week. Not looking forward to the footy tundra that is december and jan.

We have pick 29. The pick after that I think. Use 29 for a player like Bosely or Nelson.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back