Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

If he gets past the eagles at 28 I reckon he is a lock for our next pick. Given I know nothing about him other than that GWS rated him, that seems like a win. Yay draft week. Not looking forward to the footy tundra that is december and jan.

The only worry is that GWS let him go without much fuss. Still though pick 29 will be strongly considered i'm sure.

The only worry is that GWS let him go without much fuss. Still though pick 29 will be strongly considered i'm sure.
Maybe swept it under the rug to not give any of the other youngsters any second thoughts. If they whinged about it, perhaps the others would've seen it as being an out.

Drafting is calculated risks I reckon - he might be worth 29, but with no West Coast picks and a bit of trepidation about his home sickness, let's roll the dice and get two pick 29's for the price of 1x pick 29 and 1x pick 58 or whatever it is. Score!

If he gets past the eagles at 28 I reckon he is a lock for our next pick. Given I know nothing about him other than that GWS rated him, that seems like a win. Yay draft week. Not looking forward to the footy tundra that is december and jan.

Leave me out of this;)

As I said earlier i'd be shocked if he is not available for our pick at 58, even then I'd wait until our next pick (71) to grab him, and even then there is a very real chance he might not make it on to a senior list, which would put us well placed to rookie him. Either way at pick 58 and above he is a steal.

The only worry is that GWS let him go without much fuss.

I can see 2 options;

1) They could have traded him for a decent upgrade in a pick in the draft similar to Faulks and Mzungu. He definitely has some trade value.

2) They could have said to him "Suck it up son, you signed a 2 year deal. You either play for us, or you sit out a year." If they want to send a message to their other young players that there is no free pass to the exit door, they need to make it difficult.

Instread they seem to have sent the message that if you are homesick (or want to play for another team) just ask and you we'll pack your bags for you.

I can see 2 options;

1) They could have traded him for a decent upgrade in a pick in the draft similar to Faulks and Mzungu. He definitely has some trade value.

2) They could have said to him "Suck it up son, you signed a 2 year deal. You either play for us, or you sit out a year." If they want to send a message to their other young players that there is no free pass to the exit door, they need to make it difficult.

Instread they seem to have sent the message that if you are homesick (or want to play for another team) just ask and you we'll pack your bags for you.

Exactly, sends the wrong message.

Exactly, sends the wrong message.
I think if they made a stand and a fuss to hang on to him and he left in 12 months anyway, when a few other contracts were expiring too, then it would've created a big public image that GWS couldn't hang on to their players.

I think they've let Tunbridge go very quietly and made it seem like they're not fussed, so as to avoid huge publicity about their lack of attractiveness.

I can see 2 options;

I don't think it's quite that simple, from the few reports we've had, he has been talking of wanting out for a while but only made a call after trade week. The trade option may have been there, but it may not have too. If it was, I'm sure GWS would have sounded out a few clubs (WC and us for starters). They will know where it's at in that regard.

Secondly, and more the point, when push came to shove, it wasn't in GWS or the players interest to pull the 'suck-it-up' option on a young player like that. It wouldn't send the right message to a young squad at all about having their interests at heart and being interested in their welfare etc. Letting him go without too much fuss would do more good than harm to the squad than forcing a player to sit out for a year just on principle.

I think if they made a stand and a fuss to hang on to him and he left in 12 months anyway, when a few other contracts were expiring too, then it would've created a big public image that GWS couldn't hang on to their players.

I think they've let Tunbridge go very quietly and made it seem like they're not fussed, so as to avoid huge publicity about their lack of attractiveness.

Yeah good call, hopefully it works out well for us with West Coast unlikely to select him with their only two picks in the twenties and other clubs hopefully scared off.

You are joking surely? If he did not tell them before the trade period (or they did not know) that he was prepared to walk out then that is poor all round. Hardly sounds like someone desperately homesick.

As for avoiding bad publicity, I think the word in the headline was "EXODUS".

The options for handling it were much better pre-draft, and if he did not make his intentions known he deserves a flame. And letting him go home without delisting him is an option that would have made the point. Go home, fine. Play wafl for a year.

Seriously, if we had the opportunity to pre-list a 17 year old, and he then bailed on us with zero opportunity to trade him I would be very pissed off.

Happy tp pick him up on the cheap of course, but that is a separate issue.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

http://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/sport/a/-/afl/11943488/tunbridge-happy-to-join-any-afl-club/

You recon we have given him the indication that we are not interested?

Must be a pretty good draft if we will not even consider him at 71. Maybe Victorian clubs have said they are going to take him whether he likes it or not, but they will help him make the adjustment. Could be either.

Or maybe he went to an employment agency and discovered what his other work options were.

You recon we have given him the indication that we are not interested?

Thanks for that. Really difficult to get a good reading on this kids psychological makeup. Also implies that he has had attitude problems at GWS, without being specific.

From GWS you would think they would have pretty well resourced support systems for the kids given the numbers they have.

His Manager would have to say he's happy to go anywhere, otherwise that is draft tampering.

His actions speak louder and they say he's a risk to any club outside WA. Whether that risk is too high to take is the next question for any club considering him.

If I was the recruitment manager at a Vic club I wouldn't hesitate in drafting him if I thought we needed him, particularly if I was with one of the bigger name Vic clubs.

If I was running things for Syd or Bris I would probably not take the risk.

His Manager would have to say he's happy to go anywhere, otherwise that is draft tampering.

His actions speak louder and they say he's a risk to any club outside WA. Whether that risk is too high to take is the next question for any club considering him.

If I was the recruitment manager at a Vic club I wouldn't hesitate in drafting him if I thought we needed him, particularly if I was with one of the bigger name Vic clubs.

If I was running things for Syd or Bris I would probably not take the risk.

This is exactly how I read it.

I can see us picking him up with our 4th or 5th pick.

That throws a spanner in the works. Although I find it coincidental that the article comes out just a day before the draft. Could be simply for deniability of draft tampering. Interstate clubs will definitely be wary of a young kid who has could possibly in the space of a year and a half move from WA to GWS, GWS to WA and then WA to SA,VIC,QLD etc.

A manager doesn't have to say anything at all, but the reality is Turnbridge just got marketted to every club bar GWS. Ieasy to say "Simon is enjoying being back in WA with the support of his Family" and move on. No draft tampering at all, and helps his client to stay in WA.

A manager doesn't have to say anything at all, but the reality is Turnbridge just got marketted to every club bar GWS. Ieasy to say "Simon is enjoying being back in WA with the support of his Family" and move on. No draft tampering at all, and helps his client to stay in WA.

I would have thought so. If he was desperate to stay in WA it would have been better for the manager to just leave things as they stood. Strange he didn't agree to train with WC then, unless he had his sights of Freo and like usual they are not letting on how they are thinking.

Remove this Banner Ad

Simon Tunbridge to leave GWS

Remove this Banner Ad

Back