Autopsy So so so close (Please read OP)

Is it time to move on and lock the thread?

• Yes

Votes: 14 82.4%
  • No

Votes: 3 17.6%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm obviously not a Pies fan, but am a great fan of the team you've been putting out recently. So many good stories. I watched in a pub in the city yesterday and then went to the Barnsey gig, and the Collingwood fans were magnificent in supporting their team and congratulating the WC fans. I've said before on this site somewhere, whenever we're playing Collingwood and one of your fans is next to me, he is invariably a knowledgeable footy person and a decent fella. Sorry for your loss.

Just thinking about that last quarter hurts. We kicked the first 2 then we had a chance to get the center clearance but kept fumbling the ball. Went down their end and they kicked a goal. Taylor Adams would be feeling terrible atm too. He had a snap at goal which went out on the full. Kicks that we win.
We didn’t fumble the ball at the centre clearance. They got a bullshit ruck infringement free which they scored from. Massive momentum changer

This doesn’t make it any easier
Don’t wanna be a sore loser but with Leigh, Grant Thomas, Lingy, Carey all calling the Maynard block a definite free and then reading that WC coach thought it was play on .....

This play ultimately won the WC the game
I know lots of things didn’t go their way, or ours during the game, but this umpire play cost the result.

Post-match, Eagles coach Adam Simpson said he thought Sheed “might have actually played on” before electing to go back and kick the drop punt from a tight angle.

“It was probably a product of all the work we did after the first 20 minutes,” he said.

“So these things happen sometimes, when you miss some — not straight forward goals but some gettable goals — and then someone kicks a goal like that.

“I thought he might have actually played on … so to kick a drop punt, all I did was look at the crowd when he kicked it and then we went into a different mode in the box.”

I realise the loss will still be quite raw so I hope you don't mind me posting. I just wanted to thank your club for the two great games we had this Finals series and say the way Buckley has carried himeself all year (especially after that rotten luck with the banner) has been absolute first class. That gesture in the biggest game of his coaching career earned him a lot of fans out west.

Nothing will make loosing a Grand Final any less painful but I think you can (and should) be unbelievably proud of Buckley and your players for the year they've had.

It took a BOG performance from Shuey and a collective masterclass from our defence to deny you on Saturday and even then you nearly won it. If we didn't experience the hurt of 2015 I doubt we would have got over you. Hopefully your club can use the defeat to motivate you for next time. With better luck on the injury front and further games into your promising youngsters, I expect to see you in contention again next year. I think you should be really buoyant about the direction of your club.

FWIW I've watched the replay and if it's a small consolation, I really don't think your runner can be blamed too much for Yeo taking that mark. The kick wasn't really on and Yeo had eyes on that ball the moment it left (was it Adams?) boot. Even if Stephenson reached Yeo, I doubt he would have made a difference as Yeo is an unbelievably good contested mark.

Your whole club (from Buckley down to the fans) have been very gracious and classy in defeat which is a massive credit to you all. I really do wish your club all the best for next year. :thumbsu:

Collingwood played a damn good Grand Final, I have to give your club major credit for the fight you put up - especially after the lame effort my team put up against them the week before.

I just finished watching the GF replay, and I have to say, even though De Goey was very good early, I think he cost you in the last quarter or two. I saw several incidents where he refused to tackle, or get involved when he really could have stopped the ball from leaving your forward 50. It was lazy as F. He was waiting for teammates who were a lot further away to crack in and get the ball and dish it out to him. He was literally jogging and spectating at some contests. I know he's not a midfielder, but if McGovern is in there winning the ball and getting it out of defence, De Goey should have been applying a lot more pressure on him. As good as De Goey has been in these finals, I think he let you guys down in the latter stages. Bucks needs to have a word to him about that. I think you might have held on if he had been cracking in to the maximum of his ability. He looked pretty laconic when the game was on the line. I'd be pretty pissed with that if I were a Pies man. Mixed feelings though because he was bloody brilliant at other times.

Bad luck, I'm sure you guys will be in the thick of it again next year.

Collingwood is like a religion. When you’re a Collingwood person you literally feel it in your veins. Losing hurts, but the feeling of being part of something bigger than yourself is inspiring. Every person in the club has inspired me this year; coaches, players, members, everyone. The belief is still there to accomplish the ultimate soon, just wish I could do more!

Wow. That was hard to read.

I'd finally started to stop replaying key "what if?" moments like those in my head constantly, and this just brought them roaring back... another sleepless night awaits...
Soz. These moments have been buzzing through my head since the siren, they won’t go away. Hoping by Christmas they will subside.... Supporting the pies not for the faint hearted that’s for sure.

One last time for the year, Commiserations guys.
Epic year even without getting the flag. You looked like a team/club where everyone had bought in.
I had you guys playing finals, didn't think you'd get this close.

Hope you go one better next year.

Wow. That was hard to read.

I'd finally started to stop replaying key "what if?" moments like those in my head constantly, and this just brought them roaring back... another sleepless night awaits...

Soz. These moments have been buzzing through my head since the siren, they won’t go away. Hoping by Christmas they will subside.... Supporting the pies not for the faint hearted that’s for sure.

IMO rubbish article written to troll the emotion of Collingwood supporters for clickbait. You certainly won’t find that article published in any of the Perth papers.

All the article really needed to say was “The 2018 Grand Final featured West Coast versus Collingwood in a cracking game and tight contest. West Coast won. The end.”

On the Channel 7 Footy Show, called it as a free and said that this nonsense that in a big game the umpires put the whistle away in the last quarter is wrong. If a free is there then it should be paid. The free was there (imo), I certainly saw it that way, the Channel 7 commentary team also alluded to it.

If you subscribe to the AFL App on your mobile, it is all there to see now.
They didnt put the whistle away with that crap ruck free infringement in the centre square after we went 2 goals up in the last. They goaled from that, huge momentum turner. Still have no idea what Grundy did wrong in that one, he got reamed the whole game. Cant recall him getting a single rucking free and gave away about 5.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

GWS and Gold Coast had just raided the drafts and the competition was weak when Hawthorn won it. Look at the teams they beat... Fremantle, wtf? With teams like GWS, Adelaide, Port, Essendon all stepping up a level next year.. Even North Melbourne, if they get Polec/Gaff/Hall will be up there. It won't be easy to get there for us. This was our chance and we blew it.
and melbourne. If they get May and add Lever as well as 2 1st rounds for Hogan then they will be building a very strong team.

Our injuries revealed how brilliant our list management is in terms of collecting suitable replacements. Not sure we will ever see a fit Elliot again, would love too but he's looking like a Freeman type now.

Dunne would have made a huge difference, one or two more spoiled marks and thats the ball game. If we get May (and I expect Dunne to play on) we will have the tall backs we need, we have effective diverse forwards, probably the best ruck division (and only getting better) and a deep midfield.

Aside from Dunne I think we played close to our best side, given the blokes missing have tended to be missing for years now.

I was not shattered at all on the day, I loved the brilliance of Stephenson, and the way several blokes like Cox who were beaten early worked their way back into the game. The Eagles shutdown on Sidey and indeed for most of our midfield for most of the game was astounding, no reflection on our guys: it just means we were beaten by a very capable and well coached side. Bucks coached very well to our strengths and our weaknesses I thought, he engineered some savage breaks in the Eagle blanket, and De Goey, Stephenson and Cox walked through the holes torn, then managed to organise a wet blanket on their surges (apart from the second half of the last quarter when we were trapped).

I thought the umps favoured us, we can complain about the hold on Maynard to gift Sheed and a couple of Cox shepherds but honestly the Eagles can bring up quite few funny ones, eg two holding decisions in the goalsquare (Howe in particular) and some of Grundy's manhandling (I thought he got away with more than he was punished for).

Very happy with our year, i don't enjoy losing but we fought like men, and were beaten by the better side. An honourable, memorable, enjoyable year, and a finals series to savour. I feel like 2007 again, we may dip but the base grade of this team has lifted immensely.
some of Grundys manhandling. You serious?. He got pinged about 5 times and didnt get a single one his away including some blatant push in the backs by Vardy.

IMO rubbish article written to troll the emotion of Collingwood supporters for clickbait. You certainly won’t find that article published in any of the Perth papers.

All the article really needed to say was “The 2018 Grand Final featured West Coast versus Collingwood in a cracking game and tight contest. West Coast won. The end.”
Not a troll article, been done all season. You don’t think Eagles start and their misses in the last wouldn’t have been highlighted had we got up? Many moments in a game, to me what’s in the article were pretty big. As true as your proposed article is, The Age would want more.

08. Stewy Dew had a purple patch, Hawthorn worked to their strengths when rushing behinds. They identified a flaw in Geelong and exploited it. Hodge was enormous. They also had Clarkson.
09. I picked Geelong to win it because they were in their 3rd straight GF. Saints had a tough one against the Bulldogs in the prelim whereas Geelong smashed us by 12 goals. Geelong's best = Chapman (goal), Rooke, Milburn, Taylor, Selwood, Ablett, Corey, Bartel, Ling, Scarlett. Fair list. No surprise.
11. Aaaargh! Stevie ****in J, Jimmy ****in Bartel. We were like the cast of Major League 2. Funny movie, worth a look. The last round smashing they gave us sounded the alarm for me. The two finals against WCE and Hawthorn were unconvincing. Geelong's run in was easier coz they hit their straps at the right time.

Tigers had a dream run with injuries so their balance wasn't affected. We had our issues and didn't have the fit players available to mix things up. It's an explanation, not an excuse. We were there, we had a chance but it didn't pan out for a variety of reasons.

We'll never know what a fit Moore, Elliot, Reid, Dunne and even Wells could have done for us. I'm struggling to work that out at the moment. Won't compare to WCE because they have a different list, different game so different needs.

Again and while I agree with everything here, to simplify there are two sides to the ledger on the big dance - the fave and the underdog and it seems whichever we are we lose em more often than not. I know there's an explanation(s) for every one of those GF losses.

Dogs 16 - underdogs win
tigs 17- underdogs win
Pies 18 - underdogs lose

We only win one in every three why play, why does that always go that way? Why does it have to be us?

How good is it hearing nearly every media expert say 100% a free to Maynard? Makes you sick thinking what could have been.

Obviously plenty missed for both but clearly this one hurts being at the end.
Yep. We should have won. With Grundy, Pendles and Sidey down on normal output and us only losing by 5 points it makes me think Eagles weren't very good. One goal when he had it down forward in those last 4 minutes and we win.

Yep. We should have won. With Grundy, Pendles and Sidey down on normal output and us only losing by 5 points it makes me think Eagles weren't very good. One goal when he had it down forward in those last 4 minutes and we win.
But we didn't. When we had to stand up we couldn't. That's football though.

I'm still feeling a little flat but boy what a season. Proud of the boys for what they did, and sometimes you need a grand final loss. It kills me type that as a Collingwood tragic as I know we have had our fair share of losses, but seeing Taylor Adams after the game giving an interview made me think this could be the making of our group.

I don't expect us to fall away next year, I expect us to grow. We should be there again, we deserve to be there again! If we can just keep the cattle out on the field their is absolutely no reason why we can't. After that finals campaign there is no team I fear. We should finish top 4. Everything was against us this season, and we got within minutes of a flag. I love this club. This season was a beautiful reflection of our history and what we stand for.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back