Preview So where do we finish from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Simple two part question, where do we finish from here after both the home and away season and the finals are completed?

It's pretty safe to say we aren't a premiership threat this year for so many reasons (injuries being the main reason) but with a few players coming back we can still do some damage in the run home, and the finals.

Here's the draw (and probable win/loss);

Round 15 - Carlton - Loss
Round 16 - Adelaide - WIN
Round 17 - Gold Coast - WIN
Round 18 - GWS - WIN

That's a 11-6 record with 5 games left.

This is where it may get interesting, with Beams, Keeffe and Goldsack all likely to be in the senior side, and Dale Thomas maybe only a week or two away from returning. Our draw gets hard then though;

Round 19 - Essendon - WIN/LOSS (hopefully they've lost players by then)
Round 20 - Sydney - Loss
Round 21 - Hawthorn - Loss
Round 22 - West Coast - WIN
Round 23 - North Melbourne - WIN

Depending on the Essendon game we should either finish with 13 or 14 wins, that is a secure finals position and may be enough for 6th spot and a home final.

6th is as high as I can see us finishing now, but if we get a home final, against the right team we may make the second week of the finals.

Thoughts?

7th at best I reckon Matty this year. I think the season is not lost totally as we will do seem damage come finals time and have a few teams looking over our shoulder. Good to get finals game time in to our younger guys. The club needs to do a top down review a and assess all areas do the club from coaching through to fitness and conditioning staff.

Like us, if anyone is going to take your spot in the finals, it'd be West Coast, Adelaide or Carlton. They'll be 8 point games. Beat all three of them and it becomes 10x easier to make it. In fact, I'd really quite like it if you beat them, it makes it easier for us. If you look at the ladder, you've already got an 8 point head start. And, what's more, you'll be getting some quality players back from injury before the year's out and that will no doubt improve your chances.

As if we will beat Adelaide and Gold Coast. We will beat gws and that will be it for the season. It won't matter. Fall as low as possible get a good draft pick and for **** sake have a massive clean out for 2 or 3 years time! Players like lynch Hudson Sinclair Elliot Russell brown piss em off now. They are no good
The delusion is strong in this one.

A lot hinging on this week imo. A win puts us 3 games clear of Carlton. WC to play Adelaide then Freo. Win this week and we get a decent buffer. Lose and we are right back in the pack with a lot of tough games to come. Our current formline doesn't give me much confidence of pencilling in wins against anyone but GWS.

We must pull our finger out or this season could end up being pretty embarrassing.

On current form I have us finishing as high as 7th and as low as 9th, it certainly helps our cause that Port and Carlton play each other in the last round as I see them as the 2 sides that could knock us out of the 8.

On current form I have us finishing as high as 7th and as low as 9th, it certainly helps our cause that Port and Carlton play each other in the last round as I see them as the 2 sides that could knock us out of the 8.
This is the key part here, we have said "on current form" a lot this year. One thing we know is that we can play some really good footy, like we did against North, Richmond, Geelong and even Hawthorn for a half.

The problem is we're just so inconsistent that we can't reliably predict our form week by week. "Our best can beat anyone" is something that is thrown around quite a bit, but unfortunately our worst can also lose to just about anyone.

I put this down to the number of young players we have in the side - Elliott, Martin, Kennedy, Dwyer, Seedsman, Williams, Thomas and Sinclair all only have a handful of games under their belt. That's a third of the side. Add to that the missing players, who I think would be best 22 or certainly close - Beams, Young, Goldsack, Johnson, Fasolo, Thomas, Toovey, Krakouer, Jolly, Reid, even Didak - and we're often going to struggle. Have a look at Geelong's injuries early in the year, they had a lot out as well. The result? The inconsistent form that Chris Scott mentions time and time again. Fortunately for them, their depth is good enough to adequately cover and get them by.

This is it for me: we are actually not that good a side with the players we have in. With Beams, Young, Reid, Jolly, Goldsack, Johnson and Krakouer all due back in the next fortnight, I still think we are capable of playing some of our best footy. But, if we continue to put sides out on the park like we did yesterday, we are going to be in for a frustrating end to the year.

I see us capable of finishing 5th-8th from here. Who knows what will happen with the Essendon situation? If we got back Young, Reid, Jolly and Krakouer for the game against the Scum this week, I'd be confident of beating them. That's all I care about right now. **** them. :mad:

Fifth or sixth with one finals win and a big loss in the second final. So play the kids when we can and give them finals experience.

The problem with being finals competitive and not premiership contenders is the selection policy gets a bit delusional. Where there's hope we will continue to play Lynch and not drop him ala Dawes last year. I'd know Witts, Grundy and Paine are not AFL ready but they are the future so give somebody a baptism of fire and throw him to the wolves for some consecutive games. Drop Lynch now to the VFL and say mate you have one last chance of playing in finals - get your shit together.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Assuming we can make finals, the only question we need to answer is "can we beat the bombers or the tigers?"

Realistically those are the two teams i see us coming up against in the first week... then we're staring at an interstate trip to Freo or Sydney...

6-8. That leaves us in a position to win a final and hopefully put up a fight in the second week of the finals. The thing is though it doesn't take much once there. A first up final against Richmond and then a Semi at the G against Geelong are not impossible tasks.

The team mentality needs to be rediscovered though. We saw that its there in the Cats game the question is can we bring it out more often than not in these final 9 games?..

I hope we lose every game and finish as low as can, we may as well play Grundy-Witts-Broom every game from here on out, it's time to embrace the horror folks! we need to visit the depths of hell again i'm sorry to say.

Remove this Banner Ad

Preview So where do we finish from here?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back