So who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Alex Rance. Should have been All Australian last year. His effect on the team was immediately apparent yesterday. Brave, defends well and rebounds well. I know a few kicks go astray but gee whiz the guy gives no less than 100% every time he is out there. What else could you ask from a player?

Alex Rance. Should have been All Australian last year. His effect on the team was immediately apparent yesterday. Brave, defends well and rebounds well. I know a few kicks go astray but gee whiz the guy gives no less than 100% every time he is out there. What else could you ask from a player?

None of what you just said makes him an AA. The exact same thing could be said about Heath Hocking.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From EFC; Cale Hooker.

Had a great season last year, but was overshadowed by the drugs saga and Carlisle playing well. This year he has gone to another level.
Has conceded only 3 goals all year while averaging 24 disposals at 84% DE and 11 marks (league high).

There's different kinds of underrated.

For example, I'd say Brent Harvey is underrated. Sure, he's rated highly on the balance of things, but relative to how he's rated on what he's actually achieved in the game compared to other less decorated stars? Grossly underrated.

Then you have the young emerging players that seem to fly under the radar for seasons on end before the wider footy consciousness finally becomes aware of how good they are. Eric McKenzie would be heading that list right now.

And then you get a bloke who has just got the job done at an exceptional level year after year with a minimum of fuss. I could argue that despite everything he's achieved in the game, his no nonsense style means a lot of people outside of Geelong supporters still don't realize exactly how good Corey Enright is. Yeah, they know he's good, but he's so unassuming it's easy to overlook the fact that you could argue he's not just one of the finest defenders of his era, but one of the finest defenders ever to play the game.

Having said that, he could also be in the Brent Harvey class of underrated, so as another example, i'd use David Mundy.

There's also the sneaky 'was an out and out shittruck for a number of years but has quietly developed into a very handy footballer' types, and Davis Hale could be the bloke currently the best example of that.

Yep, Deledio. Not a hard nut, not soft, will go in and get the ball when required, not a magician, more the Robbie Flower type but a bit more down the middle. Just oozes speed football and class. Great pair of hands and a very good kick.

Luke Dahlhaus, I have watched him carefully last year he continues to improve every game he has played a similar role and similar style to Abletts first few years (I did not call him Ablett calm down).

This year he is tracking extremely well if it keeps going he may end up being a top midfielder.

I would of said this 3 weeks ago but I was banned lol.

+1 to MacKenzie, at worst in the top 3 key defenders in the comp IMO.

Agree with Hibberd too, also a huge fan of Stratton; I think he's close to the best medium sized defender atm.

I don't think we have too many candidates these days, our players have been well rated for the last couple of seasons and even role players like Clancee Pearce/Spurr/Mzungu etc get their due, more or less.

Remove this Banner Ad

So who is the most underrated player in the AFL?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back