So who was overlooked in the National Draft?

Remove this Banner Ad

Bampton missing out is quite the interesting one. Could end up doing a Magner as he is similar but much better.
I wonder about the big hard predominantly inside ball winners who are presumed to lack the skills and athleticism for AFL and what becomes of them.

Luke Parker might have been one but he could always take a mark and had some burst. Mitch Hallahan was one, let's see what happens when he gets his chance at Gold Coast. Nick Graham at Carlton, I'm not convinced by his future prospects. Anthony Miles had a great year for Richmond. Mark Whiley is now at Carlton. Andrew Swallow slipped a fair way down the draft for a state captain presumably due to concerns about speed and skill.

There's probably not a great case of someone like Brad Sewell, who really came through the rookie list with concerns over pace and skill and became elite. Will Langford is similar to Sewell, but he's tall and has always seemed to me to have a bit of speed.

Is there anyone I'm missing who could clearly play but had concerns about speed and skill and was picked up late and turned in to a gun? I'm excluding Rockliff on the basis he had predominantly played forward and hadn't played much as a midfielder as a top line junior

Bampton missing out is quite the interesting one. Could end up doing a Magner as he is similar but much better.

If Bampton stays fit next year he could get up there for a Magarey medal

I wonder about the big hard predominantly inside ball winners who are presumed to lack the skills and athleticism for AFL and what becomes of them.

Luke Parker might have been one but he could always take a mark and had some burst. Mitch Hallahan was one, let's see what happens when he gets his chance at Gold Coast. Nick Graham at Carlton, I'm not convinced by his future prospects. Anthony Miles had a great year for Richmond. Mark Whiley is now at Carlton. Andrew Swallow slipped a fair way down the draft for a state captain presumably due to concerns about speed and skill.

There's probably not a great case of someone like Brad Sewell, who really came through the rookie list with concerns over pace and skill and became elite. Will Langford is similar to Sewell, but he's tall and has always seemed to me to have a bit of speed.

Is there anyone I'm missing who could clearly play but had concerns about speed and skill and was picked up late and turned in to a gun? I'm excluding Rockliff on the basis he had predominantly played forward and hadn't played much as a midfielder as a top line junior

I remember watching Matt DeBoer at an under 18 game at Casey Fields in his draft year (along with guys like Daniel Rich, Chris Yarra, NicNat) in a jam packed WA line up thinking this guy can seriously play. A big motor, an excellent extractor but he lacks polish and speed.

Went from potential top 30 to a rookie prospect and fought back to having now played 115 AFL games for the Dockers

I remember watching Matt DeBoer at an under 18 game at Casey Fields in his draft year (along with guys like Daniel Rich, Chris Yarra, NicNat) in a jam packed WA line up thinking this guy can seriously play. A big motor, an excellent extractor but he lacks polish and speed.

Went from potential top 30 to a rookie prospect and fought back to having now played 115 AFL games for the Dockers

That would have been the year De Boer was 17. Could have been drafted that year, but decided not to nominate in order to focus on completing year twelve (whereas Dangerfield nominated with the caveat that he was going to finish his schooling regardless of whether a club picked him or not). Had a solid, but unspectacular 2008 and slipped down to the rookie draft.

He certainly makes for an interesting case study. Maligned early on due to his skills, but then was able to carve out a role for himself in the forwardline to good effect and now that role appears to becoming obsolete with more talented players vying for his spot. Will be intriguing to see if he can adapt again.

If Bampton stays fit next year he could get up there for a Magarey medal

Unfortunately in today's SANFL that medal is no longer what it once meant

That would have been the year De Boer was 17. Could have been drafted that year, but decided not to nominate in order to focus on completing year twelve (whereas Dangerfield nominated with the caveat that he was going to finish his schooling regardless of whether a club picked him or not). Had a solid, but unspectacular 2008 and slipped down to the rookie draft.

I think it might of been. I remember reading that Hine and Collingwood asked De Boer to enter the Draft as we really wanted to pick him but he Turned it down

Priddis dominated the Wafl for a few years and even one a sandover medal . He was not drafted due to speed and kicking issues until finally rookie drafted .

Still can't believe Keitel went undrafted. The kids got the goods, can't quite understand how he was overlooked.

In betweener and that has hurt him. That said wouldn't have been shocked to see someone rookie him. Needs more performances on the board.

In betweener and that has hurt him. That said wouldn't have been shocked to see someone rookie him. Needs more performances on the board.

Also said to test Very Poor for Speed

Remove this Banner Ad

Back