Discussion So why aren't we calling for Jason Blake's head?

Remove this Banner Ad

Hang on brothers, I'll just put my ganja down.

No doubt that Blake has credit in the bank and as the opening line of the OP states, I would think any calls for his head would be ridiculous. My main point is that it takes time to accumulate credit in the bank and given that Dawson is in his 2nd season with us and playing in a pretty tough spot on the park he deserves time, especially when no obvious replacement is putting their hand up.

No doubt that Blake has credit in the bank and as the opening line of the OP states, I would think any calls for his head would be ridiculous. My main point is that it takes time to accumulate credit in the bank and given that Dawson is in his 2nd season with us and playing in a pretty tough spot on the park he deserves time, especially when no obvious replacement is putting their hand up.
This is where you have it totally wrong. He no more deserves time than Eddy, Armitage, Heyne, Peake, Clarke, Stanley, Steven or any other team member.

It's a fooball club & the objective is to win as many games as possible to have the best chance at the flag.

There are times where persevering with a player out of form is a good long term stratagy & I believe that's exactly what Ross Lyon is doing at the moment with a couple of players. Sometimes dropping a player is the best strategy (I thought Dal Santo was playing ok when he was dropped a couple years ago? Then he played even better when he returned).

No room for too much sentiment in this game, if players aren't performing they run the risk of being dropped.

Although it was good to see Tyson Edwards get a farewell run & didn't he play well. Just like Boony when he got a ton after being told it was his last Test Match Players lift when they get a kick up the pants.

That's how nature works... here's a quirkiy little fact. If a man thinks his partner is fooling around on him he will produce more sperm in an effort to impregnant her. Even sperm know when their about to be dropped.

Because one sparrow doesn't make a summer. And, of course, the opposite is also true (which I would think would be "one polar bear doesn't make a winter").

Blake had an off-night against a player with whom he didn't much up well.

And, BTW, I thought Dawson's last couple weren't too bad (only one hideous mistake against Essendon, otherwise good).

I really don't think Zac has been that bad this year. His spoiling is awesome still, sure he has been outmarked a few times but that will happen, can't wait for him to get back into good form.

An example of him being the scapegoat is how he got payed out after a 1 possession game...he's the fullback! Who cares how many possessions he gets?!

I guess there are always going to be players coming under criticism and fair enough so, but there are others around more justifying of it that Zac (and no haters I'm not talking about Raph).

Blake does an honest - GOOd job every week, and he's a proven decision maker. He does what he is expected of him. No one was going to stop Jack in that form (WHy didnt we get him???? Cousin rule?). Blake was beaten on the night but it wasn't his decision making that let him down.

Zac is still a work in progress, but his form curve has dropped since he was reported last year. I dont know what it is, BUT as I said last year, he was quite built (upper body) when he was playing really well and with a lot of confidence. This new model, more svelt, smaller upper body strength (obviously to improve his pace) is not working in my opinion. He was not too slow to begin with. Upper body strength imposes confidence, His decision making has gone from 80% to 60-40 or 50-50.

Raph's decision making is appalling. Please dont start about me or others baggin him for no reason, just watch him play, he may be effective (in segments) but he gives away a regulation two goals a game directly from his appalling decision making.
HOWEVER, Raphs (arguably noticeable) improvement this year has come from him beginning to take the first option. I think what gets him into trouble is when he hesitates wth that first option. When he takes the very first option he looks a completely different player and his effectiveness is immeasureably improved. And the players round him have confidence, know what to expect. When he bypasses that first option that throws the whole team out because his second and even third options are unpredictable and invariably hurried and wrong. I have also noticed players hesitating to share the ball with him this year. This is not good.

Anyway on the whisper side of things, I have heard that Raph is becoming very homesick, and that a mutual decision may be made at the end of the year.

reiwoldt has kicked goals most weeks and is doing well in the coleman medal, if a forward is playing good footy he will kick goals no matter who is on him.have any other fullbacks been dropped after playing on him. I doubt it.
Jack has a great future and is a very underrated player once he learns how to kick accurate will have no trouble kicking a ton a season.

By the way, the first option a lot of the time in today's footy is kicking it long ... straight to the opposition.

Blazing away and kicking it long for distance and not retention of possession is losing footy ... see 2009 AFL Grand Final.

Commit previous sentence to memory (in honour of the silly old buggers behind me on Friday night who only wanted us to kick long rather than keep the ball).

No. If I meant kick it long I'd have said kick it long.

I said the first option and meant by hand or foot, the first and decisive option. And only with regards to Raph, other players with more composure have more options and more time.

Raphs first options have mainly been by hand, or even short kicks and I think it has worked - this is just my observation - still an observation in progress, watch next time and see if this is the case in your opinion.

Re 2009 GF: 'Kick it long' by the way was the instruction from the coach in the 2009 GF at 3/4 time. Look at the post match interviews.

Or one can read into things what one wants to.

I'm not saying they weren't instructed to kick it long. Ross Lyon has admitted responsibility for why St Kilda played like they did late in the GF.

If someone waits, and is patient, and then hits a target, then nobody has a problem. Often Raph gets the ball in general play, also commonly in congestion (hospital balled by Goddard being the most common), and wants to pass the ball to a teammate. Bloody difficult, especially when Raph lacks penetration in his kicking.

We want "first option, quick footy", but often that involves 8-10 handpasses in a row ("just kick the bloody thing!"). I'd rather have players choose the correct, best option, which can quite often be the slower or later option, rather than the first.

Yeah that's pretty much it, Blake has more credits in the bank than Dawson so people are less prone to criticising him.

Dawson has been pretty poor all season and has pretty much used up any credits he built up from last year. Blake has been consistently good for a couple of years now and rarely plays a bad game. Everyone is entitled to the odd bad game, like Blake had against Richmond, it's when you have a number of bad games in a row that people start calling for a player's head.

The other difference between Blake and Dawson is that Blake always tries 100% and plays with desperation and intensity, something I'm not sure you can say about Dawson. There have been times this year where Dawson has looked half asleep and disinterested and conceded some easy goals as a result.

Most supporters can accept players being beaten by better opponents, like Blake was on Friday night, if they are giving 100%. If they get beaten when they aren't giving 100% or aren't switched on then supporters are going to be more critical.

Have to agree with what you have said. Blake was beaten by Riewoldt on Friday night manily due to that Riewoldt gene of being fast and having big hands to mark. Blake was just a little too slow for him however out of the team that was put forward he was the best match up to him. Had Dawson played on him I believe the same thing would have happened as Dawson seems to be behind the ball when he is marking lately and not in front.

Also all players can have a crappy week and a crappy game. Brent Harvey played like a rookie when he played against us - and guess what his grand mother had passed away that week. Footballers are human and they are allowed to have an off game, it is when they have a whole lot of off games in a row that people go - next. However realistic who would be our next?

Raph's decision making is appalling. Please dont start about me or others baggin him for no reason, just watch him play, he may be effective (in segments) but he gives away a regulation two goals a game directly from his appalling decision making.

I have also noticed players hesitating to share the ball with him this year. This is not good.

Anyway on the whisper side of things, I have heard that Raph is becoming very homesick, and that a mutual decision may be made at the end of the year.

These two points that you have made I may have agreed with (to an extent) last year. This year it is a different story (perahaps he is not feeling guilty that he is playing and his older brother is not) He kept his opponant goaless in rnds 9 and 10. Don't believe he was playing on Cotchin on friday night so again his opponant has not kicked a goal in the last 3 games. Pretty good effort dont you think?

Also don't know why he would be homeless considering half his family is down here:rolleyes:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

By the way, the first option a lot of the time in today's footy is kicking it long
I disagree handpass or running the ball out seems to be the primary options from my observations.

Often Raph gets the ball in general play, also commonly in congestion (hospital balled by Goddard being the most common)
WHAT? are you serious? I have never seen Raph receive a hospital pass from anyone, not saying it hasn't happened but certainly not common enough for it to be an issue as you suggest. I have seen Raph give two hospital handpasses in the last few games

Raph lacks penetration in his kicking.
Maybe, but he sure lacks accuracy.

Simon Templar, way to selectively quote me. The entire quote was

"By the way, the first option a lot of the time in today's footy is kicking it long ... straight to the opposition."

The point I was trying to make is more often than not, the first thing you can do with the ball once you get it, your "first option" as it were, was to kick the thing as quick as you get it. When this happens, the ball usually goes to the other team. This is one of the reasons Luke Ball's jumper has less red on it these days.

When I used the hospital idiom, I didn't mean physical harm, but putting a bloke under pressure. It took me years of seeing the same thing over and over, but Raph gets a lot of handballs from Goddard around 50m from goal, in a congested situation, when Raph is in a situation where, if he gets the ball, he will be immediately tackled. As I suggested on the Raph-credit thread, I just think Goddard doesn't like him. Someone has to be standing in the wrong spot with two blokes on him to draw the attention, I just wish Goddard wouldn't handball to Raph in that situation (although I'd probably be happy with Goddard handballing as little as possible).

I don't think Raph lacks accuracy, although his last one on Friday night was an all-time shocker. His kicks don't get to their target quick enough, but he kicks forward more often than not, which cannot be said for Steven Baker, Farren Ray and Jason Blake.

Raph is one of the guys who falls between our two main categories when it comes to kicking skill.

Group 1: Great, penetrative kicks who back their skill and can hit a target over distance (Goddard, Dal Santo, Gilbert, Gwilt, Montagna, Koschitzke, Gram, Schneider, Milne)
Group 2: Guys who aren't great long kicks, so they don't try to penetrate whatsoever and therefore you don't want them with the ball 50-90 metres out from goal (Baker, Ray, Blake, Jones, King)

Clarke doesn't really fall in either group.

Punter
Simon Templar, way to selectively quote me.
Sorry if I have misrepresented what you have written or taken it out of context. I only quoted those parts of your text because they were the parts I wanted to reply to.

When I used the hospital idiom, I didn't mean physical harm, but putting a bloke under pressure.
Yes I understand that & that is exactly how I interpreted it.

I just don't agree with what you saying about Goddard giving the ball to Raph when Raph is in no position to receive it. I particularly don't like the suggestion that he does this only to make him look silly because he doesn't like him.

Think you're two main groups is interesting. I agree with most of the players you mentioned but not all.

I guess to mention my suspicion that Goddard has little affection for Raph in that context wasn't entirely appropriate. The rest I stand by.

I'm sure Raph Clarke will take YOUR comments about what Brendon Goddard thinks of him personally.

Hop off the fence for goodness sake

I meant that they weren't really related to the on-field point I was trying to make, and were therefore misleading (making a person, Simon Templar, believe that I felt that Goddard sold Clarke into trouble purely because they weren't friendly).

Otherwise, as I said, I stand by everything else I wrote. And we need more people on the fence, rather than spouting out half-thought-out ideas that portray a black-and-white world that only exists in people's minds.

At the risk of keeping the debate going, I've always thought that (despite being one of our best players) the Red Bull is one of our worst exponents of the handball in traffic. I'm happy for him to kick blindly (preferably towards the line or letting one of his torps loose) rather than handball blindly when in the defensive 50!

At the risk of keeping the debate going, I've always thought that (despite being one of our best players) the Red Bull is one of our worst exponents of the handball in traffic. I'm happy for him to kick blindly (preferably towards the line or letting one of his torps loose) rather than handball blindly when in the defensive 50!

Good point Squizzy. BJ is a surgeon with his feet and I concur with you that the only glaring weakness is his handball - particularly on his left.

Remove this Banner Ad

Discussion So why aren't we calling for Jason Blake's head?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back