Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Here are a few assistant coaches going around at the moment. Plus a few others. What do you think?

• Scott Burns (Crows)

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • Blake Caracella (ESS)

Votes: 21 11.6%
  • Justin Leppitsch (Filth)

Votes: 14 7.7%
  • Josh Fraser (Filth)

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Josh Carr (Port)

Votes: 13 7.2%
  • Brendon Lade (Dogs)

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Kade Simpson (Hawks)

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Nigel Lappin (Geelong)

Votes: 9 5.0%
  • Dean Cox (Swans)

Votes: 2 1.1%
  • Adam Yze ( Melb)

• Don Pyke

Votes: 45 24.9%
  • Chocco Williams

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Nathan Buckley

• Ken Hinkley

Votes: 16 8.8%
  • Adam Simpson

Votes: 15 8.3%
  • Stuart Dew

Votes: 1 0.6%
  • Leon Cameron

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Brett Ratten

Votes: 24 13.3%
  • Damien Hardwick

Votes: 40 22.1%
  • John Worsfold

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • Paul Roos

Votes: 8 4.4%
  • Brent Momgomery

Votes: 2 1.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Will be another Mick rehash - will take the role only to prove the Pies wrong in sacking him. Personality type that'll get a lot players noses off-side as well.
Disagree on that. Had it been straight after then I'd agree with you.

I don't care who's nose is off side provided they've got the team playing well. He's got the tactical side down pretty well. For all the hate Collingwood fans give him, he was one very special kick away from being a premiership coach.

McRae & Kinglsey were available at the time weren't they? We were gun shy of hiring untried again.

I like Voss & we're sticking with him, but can't help but think what McRae would've done with this group. That all out attack off half back with Saad, Docherty, Williams, Boyd, Newman, even Weitering at his disposal streaming it into Curnow & McKay at speed... yikes.

McRae & Kinglsey were available at the time weren't they? We were gun shy of hiring untried again.

I like Voss & we're sticking with him, but can't help but think what McRae would've done with this group. That all out attack off half back with Saad, Docherty, Williams, Boyd, Newman, even Weitering at his disposal streaming it into Curnow & McKay at speed... yikes.
McRae was filth bound at the time iirc.

Kingsley was available I think but not sure if he was in our considerations. I cant recall his name being mentioned too much at the time.

There was so much talk about clarko and then RTB.

Overall, it was poorly managed I think.

In the end we ended up with Voss as a last resort and not as priority #1.

3 seasons in we could be in a bit of a mess again.

Kingsley was available I think but not sure if he was in our considerations. I cant recall his name being mentioned too much at the time
Kingsley was our 2nd choice and we tried to entice him as senior assistant after going with Voss but he wouldn't take it.

Right now we certainly need to have an honest appraisal of skills we may be lacking in the box and on the training track.

Kingsley was our 2nd choice and we tried to entice him as senior assistant after going with Voss but he wouldn't take it.

Right now we certainly need to have an honest appraisal of skills we may be lacking in the box and on the training track.
Ok cheers.

I assume we chose Voss over Kingsley because Voss coached before and I think as Judd might have mentioned we did not want a coach with training wheels?

Ok cheers.

I assume we chose Voss over Kingsley because Voss coached before and I think as Judd might have mentioned we did not want a coach with training wheels?
My understanding was his skillset around galvanising and leading the group was seen as a higher priority at the time than the match day tactics which Kingsley was considered stronger in.
It was assumed we could bring in assistants to round out the skills, hence the approach to Kingsley and the appointment of Hansen once Kingsley had given his final answer.

My understanding was his skillset around galvanising and leading the group was seen as a higher priority at the time than the match day tactics which Kingsley was considered stronger in.
It was assumed we could bring in assistants to round out the skills, hence the approach to Kingsley and the appointment of Hansen once Kingsley had given his final answer.
Ok that makes sense in terms of why we went with Voss/Hanse combination.

I assume the club may have also factored in the "if things don't work out factor"...in which case if Voss is sacked/leaves, then Hansen becomes care taker coach and we have a tactical head coach. :tearsofjoy:

Its the sort of way management typically think...covering your bases when things don't turn out as expected - which is fair enough.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We chose Voss because he had experience as a head coach. Because we had gone through a few untried coaches before with no successful. I'm good friends with a family member of Kingsley's and they said that we would never win a premiership with Voss. You could say that they said that because of their relationship with Kingsley but this person actually worked at Port Adelaide at the same time Voss was there for years.

Very disappointing to here some of the stuff I did at the time. Shattered we didn't go for Kingsley as i felt he was the perfect coach for us. Just got to support Voss now and make sure everyone around him is great. From assistants, to high performance coaches and list management.

Voss going nowhere, and he can't that cycle has to be broken. Coached us into a Preliminary, one of which we could have won but for the five goal blink. One that still continues today. That is what we fix, the amount of teams who look to be peaking and then for some reason there is a weird year, Melbourne and Collingwood for example, and then rebound with a Premiership is plentiful. Players need to be added to the list, a reliable KPD, a genuine small goal kicker, and some absolute outside speed.
For example, Battle, Ryan, ?????

Voss going nowhere, and he can't that cycle has to be broken. Coached us into a Preliminary, one of which we could have won but for the five goal blink. One that still continues today. That is what we fix, the amount of teams who look to be peaking and then for some reason there is a weird year, Melbourne and Collingwood for example, and then rebound with a Premiership is plentiful. Players need to be added to the list, a reliable KPD, a genuine small goal kicker, and some absolute outside speed.
For example, Battle, Ryan, ?????
I agree but it sounds like Battle has been offered more than what would make economic sense for us.

Please explain how any other coach can institute a modern run, carry spread game plan with an unbalanced never fit Carlton list which, when playing well is only capable of contest and pressure? Voss is not the problem
He is the problem, it’s not just run and carry, our contest is shit, our defensive zone is terrible, you act like it is just speed that solely tears us up. Watch teams chip it around the ground in slow fashion as well and us allow it, it does hurt but acting like he can’t do anything is a joke. Cut any piece of vision up and explain to me what we are attempting to do, please I beg you. Because beyond finger pointing and sagging off I see nothing, our one identity isn’t even our strength which is contest and winning it at the source, we are so poorly coached and I’ve tried to figure out what we are for so long and I’m still no closer to an answer than I was 2 years ago.

Even if Voss is to blame... can we really let this playing group get away with killing yet ANOTHER coach?

They've done this every time it got too hard with Bolton and Teague - then the accountability goes off them with the new coach and they get the dead cat bounce sugar hit.

I'm sick of it. Tail wagging the dog nonsense.

What does this say for our culture?

No more I say. It's Voss or rebuild.

Get some more tactical nous into the coaching panel to support over the off-season.

Ride or die.

Last edited:
We can't sack Voss. One of the biggest problem this club has is reputation. Our coach sacking has meant that we have developed a rep for that. Which means we can't offer what any employee wants, job security.

This means that if a better club wants the same coach as we do, we don't get them. We get the dregs. We started the rot. Now we need to do the time fixing our rep and proving to the football community that we are a stable and really good place to work.

Carlton the coach friendly and supportive club? We aren't there yet, still getting tested. Cook helps. But I am sure managers would be really sceptical of us.

We can't sack Voss. One of the biggest problem this club has is reputation. Our coach sacking has meant that we have developed a rep for that. Which means we can't offer what any employee wants, job security.

This means that if a better club wants the same coach as we do, we don't get them. We get the dregs. We started the rot. Now we need to do the time fixing our rep and proving to the football community that we are a stable and really good place to work.

Carlton the coach friendly and supportive club? We aren't there yet, still getting tested. Cook helps. But I am sure managers would be really sceptical of us.
I agree but we should definitely turn over the assistants, freshen up the list and get a new game plan.

Remove this Banner Ad

Coach So you want Voss gone? Who will replace him and why would they want to coach Carlton?

Back