Soccer tycoon Clive Palmer attacks the Australian game on the GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Do you actually believe this or do you just make shit up.

Melbourne Victorys Stadium the MRS or the Bubble (cause it wasnt going to happen without the victory) was set to be built to 20,000 by the goverment to give soccer a new life in this city and a freash start at a new perpose built venue.

The Rectangular stadium was announced before the victory ever played a game.

However with the Victorys early unexpected move to the Dome and the jump to an average of 28,000 for regular season and 33,000 after finals, it was called that it be upgraded to the now 31,001 seats and how ever many stading room. With the Contract stating the Victory play 4 games a season at the Dome+Finals and the rest at the MRS (This will not have a coperate name at all like the MCG)

victory's 06'07 season has been shown to be a bandwagon anomaly. Never again will they get close to those averages.
Melbourne victory will be fighting to break that 4 games at td contract so that they are not embarassing themselves at a half empty stadium when they have a much better venue idle at Olympic park.
It has already been announced that the rectangular stadium will have naming rights.

Melbourne Storm games were played at Telstra Dome for the 2001 season (correct me if im wrong) and they were only pulling between 10 and 12,000. The rectangle seating was in use for all these games too! Victory fans dont even get that wounderfull option and they average 25,000.
the rectangle seating was used for one game in the 2001 season.

Telstra dome was pretty unpopular in the 2001 season, and storm fans never wanted to go there in the first place.

Funnily enough what percentage of victory supporters would happily never go near the dome again?

Victory Averaged 27,500 last season (07-08), not a banwagon! If they are getting that steady number each season.
MRS only happend cause of Melbourne Victory, wasnt making any progress or any lime light in media until the Victory arrived.

Victorys average has dropped and will continue dropping, particularly when a second melbourne franchise enters the comp.

the rectangular stadium was approved for 20,000 before victory played. It was a part of the unsuccessful bid for a super 14 team in melbourne.
It would not have been as big, but would have existed whether victory did or not

Spot on. Isn't it likely that the same thing would happen in Adelaide if a better stadium was available?

I'm not sure of your point. The same argument can be made of every club in every sport. Subiaco is an out and out manure heap, yet at least it's sold out most weeks. In comparison, the government spent a fair whack of dough rectangularising Perth Oval on the grounds that it would draw more people. Crowds have since declined to embarassingly poor levels.

Are you suggesting a new soccer stadium be built in Adelaide on the grounds that it may draw larger crowds? The best they can hope for is a football ground with moveable seats on the lower tier - i.e something like Telstra Dome.

Melbourne Storm games were played at Telstra Dome for the 2001 season (correct me if im wrong) and they were only pulling between 10 and 12,000. The rectangle seating was in use for all these games too! .

I am correcting you. The rectangular seating was in use for ONE game only against the Broncos, pulled a crowd of nearly 16,000.

Storm fans hated the Dome. League Union and soccer/football should never be played on an oval field. You are too far away from the action.
Can't wait for the new stadium to be completed.

I'm not sure of your point. The same argument can be made of every club in every sport. Subiaco is an out and out manure heap, yet at least it's sold out most weeks. In comparison, the government spent a fair whack of dough rectangularising Perth Oval on the grounds that it would draw more people. Crowds have since declined to embarassingly poor levels.

Are you suggesting a new soccer stadium be built in Adelaide on the grounds that it may draw larger crowds? The best they can hope for is a football ground with moveable seats on the lower tier - i.e something like Telstra Dome.

My point was in response to someones comment about Adelaide being able to stay at Hindmarsh because they never sell it out. Using that logic, Essendon would still be playing at Windy Hill. Perth is the example that people keep throwing up but on and off the field they have been at least twice as incompetant as the Fremantle Dockers.

A new government funded rectangular stadium is unrealistic in the current financial environment. If Adelaide ever wants Socceroos games (either qualifiers or world cup games if we get it) a new stadium will be required at some stage though. Currently they are missing out.

A stadium with moveable seats would also be adequate if the seats could be moved at a reasonable cost. I think that the moveable seats have been used once at Telstra Dome for the Rugby world cup.

My point was in response to someones comment about Adelaide being able to stay at Hindmarsh because they never sell it out. Using that logic, Essendon would still be playing at Windy Hill. Perth is the example that people keep throwing up but on and off the field they have been at least twice as incompetant as the Fremantle Dockers.

A new government funded rectangular stadium is unrealistic in the current financial environment. If Adelaide ever wants Socceroos games (either qualifiers or world cup games if we get it) a new stadium will be required at some stage though. Currently they are missing out.

A stadium with moveable seats would also be adequate if the seats could be moved at a reasonable cost. I think that the moveable seats have been used once at Telstra Dome for the Rugby world cup.

Why would Adelaide need a new stadium to get Socceroos games?

It has a stadium with similar dimensions to the MCG, a venue the FFA is happy to use for Socceroos games.

Victorys average has dropped and will continue dropping, particularly when a second melbourne franchise enters the comp.

the rectangular stadium was approved for 20,000 before victory played. It was a part of the unsuccessful bid for a super 14 team in melbourne.
It would not have been as big, but would have existed whether victory did or not
The rectangular stadium was on proviso that we got a S14 side hence it was shelved. That was until along came the Victory with it's large crowds and that is what caused the government to change it's mind

The fact of the matter is no victory no new rectangular stadium.

From Herald Sun 30 April 2005

Our super stadium
Peter Mickelburough, state politics reporter
30apr05

MELBOURNE is to get a new $100 million sports stadium as part of a facelift of Olympic Park.

AFL clubs Collingwood and Melbourne, National Rugby League team Melbourne Storm and fledgling A-League soccer club Melbourne Victory will all call the new stadium home.
The deal, to be announced today by Premier Steve Bracks, will cement the area as one of the world's best sports and entertainment precincts.

A league began August 2005

The rectangular stadium was on proviso that we got a S14 side hence it was shelved. That was until along came the Victory with it's large crowds and that is what caused the government to change it's mind

The fact of the matter is no victory no new rectangular stadium.
Thank You someone sees my point.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

WTF? They've won 2 titles......Holy shit, Freo have made the top 4 once in 14 years. Financially the Glory are stuck in a league where most clubs are propped up by wealthy (generally egotistical) owners, and to be able to compete you need to either have a sugar daddy or have a big support base to come up with the dollars. The Glory have had neither - which is not necessarily bad management.

But there are plenty of examples of sporting teams moving to larger stadiums and having little, if any positive impact on their attendances. Many Sydney NRL teams moving to Homebush for instance. The Broncos and ANZ stadium.

But in all circumstances, irrespective of whether it has been a good move or not, it's because the stadium was built for an alternate purpose.

Yep, same thing can be said for Perth.

No, the basic design, field size, distance from boundary to the centre would all be similar.

The measurements would be the same from end to end, but the width would not be close. Just look at the track, which would give a standard measurement globally.

The MCG has the same dimensions (although not really an identical shape) to AAMI, and when the Commonwealth Games came to town they had to trim a few rows of seating at the Punt Road end to fit in the track.

244449fe2d659ff781061836.jpg

But they had no such problems with the width.

It's all a bit pointless really. If FIFA didn't want Australia to host a World Cup, then we wouldn't be awarded it even if we had 10 copies of Wembley dotted around the country. And if FIFA wants Australia to host, then they will play games on Christmas Island if they had to.

WTF? They've won 2 titles......Holy shit, Freo have made the top 4 once in 14 years. .

Not in the A League they haven't. In the A League they have been a joke. The FFA have insisted that it is a new club and this has pissed off a lot of Glory fans. For example, they recently wanted to celebrate the 10 year anniversary of the club. The FFA did not allow this as the according to them the club was only 4 years old. All of the previous titles, achievements etc. were meant to be forgotten (a mistake by the FFA I think). Maybe the FFA would have been better off by starting a completely new club in Perth.

The best run club in the NSL is now the worst run club in the A League. It's ironic because most of the other A League clubs followed the NSL Perth Glory model.

Clive palmer is a legend, like Frank lowey. He chose to fund a soccer team because he knows it has international value for the future.

If palmer was with AFL's GC17, you hear no end of how great he is. The reality is that the most successful business people in Australia go for soccer. AFL cannot attract them - it can only attract the dodgy ones - because it doesn't have enough global clout.

I think its fantastic that this bloke can come out and support soccer and have a go at other codes. Why shouldn't this happen? Soccer gets knocked every week in the Melb and Sydney media. One comment knocking gold coast and the AFL types on the forum are falling over in the penalty box.
Great comment Vinnie.

I'm talking about national level events, I'm not counting 4 days of a Sheffield Shield match played in front of 50 people.
What do you mean? Matches between nations? There will not be 30 days of that on the rectangle stadium. Sheffield shield is at the same level as Storm, Victory, etc, in terms of it is the pre-eminent national league for their respective sports.

If you want to put a proviso on the crowd numbers, then the point still stands for the Subiaco (2 AFL teams, Force, WAFL and other events), the GABBA (Lions, International Cricket, and other events) and AAMI (2 AFL teams and other events). ;)

Clive palmer is a legend, like Frank lowey. He chose to fund a soccer team because he knows it has international value for the future.

If palmer was with AFL's GC17, you hear no end of how great he is. The reality is that the most successful business people in Australia go for soccer. AFL cannot attract them - it can only attract the dodgy ones - because it doesn't have enough global clout.

I think its fantastic that this bloke can come out and support soccer and have a go at other codes. Why shouldn't this happen? Soccer gets knocked every week in the Melb and Sydney media. One comment knocking gold coast and the AFL types on the forum are falling over in the penalty box.
That isn't true at all. First of all, Clive Palmer is not a legend. He is a twat! He has an honourary doctorate and he makes everyone call him Professor. He is not a professor! He has an HONORARY doctorate. If anything he should make people call him Dr, but I digress. Have you met him? If you have met him before, you would not say he is a legend. His office is a revolving door of people because nobody wants to deal with him. He is a twat that supports soccer, so good on him for that, but that is not good enough to turn him into a legend. He is still a twat of the highest order!!

Also, to say most successful people go for soccer is clearly crap. There are two really rich blokes who support soccer. One is respectable. Most of the others are dodgy as ****. There are many really rich blokes that 'support' AFL clubs too, but most clubs don't need their financial support because they can support themselves. I know this is a concept foreign to most soccer clubs. Most soccer clubs in Australia can't get enough revenue to pay their measly few million bucks for players and their tiny administration staff. Most AFL clubs turn over $25-50 million, they have no reason, nor want, to have rich benefactors. There are only a few AFL clubs that really need rich benefactors, unfortunately for them, most of the time they are not the fashionable clubs to support.

That isn't true at all. First of all, Clive Palmer is not a legend. He is a twat! He has an honourary doctorate and he makes everyone call him Professor. He is not a professor! He has an HONORARY doctorate. If anything he should make people call him Dr, but I digress. Have you met him? If you have met him before, you would not say he is a legend. His office is a revolving door of people because nobody wants to deal with him. He is a twat that supports soccer, so good on him for that, but that is not good enough to turn him into a legend. He is still a twat of the highest order!!

Also, to say most successful people go for soccer is clearly crap. There are two really rich blokes who support soccer. One is respectable. Most of the others are dodgy as ****. There are many really rich blokes that 'support' AFL clubs too, but most clubs don't need their financial support because they can support themselves. I know this is a concept foreign to most soccer clubs. Most soccer clubs in Australia can't get enough revenue to pay their measly few million bucks for players and their tiny administration staff. Most AFL clubs turn over $25-50 million, they have no reason, nor want, to have rich benefactors. There are only a few AFL clubs that really need rich benefactors, unfortunately for them, most of the time they are not the fashionable clubs to support.

Clive Palmer is a legend in cousin Vinnie's mind because he supports soccer, pure and simple.

And as for respect, Frank Lowy could have hardly have a monopoly on that virtue, either.

Remove this Banner Ad

Soccer tycoon Clive Palmer attacks the Australian game on the GC

Remove this Banner Ad

Back