Remove this Banner Ad

Sep 24, 2008
MuMuLand
AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
I'll keep updating this OP and start putting up recent form etc soon
If any of you have done an international team in FM you know about the 'National pool', a list of 50 or so players you have to pick from when selecting a squad. Being nearly my own boss and having heaps of time to skive off work I've put together an Australia one with players from the last couple of squads, players still around but haven't been picked of late and potential stars etc with what their age will be in 2014. As you can see I got desperate and put in people like Jamieson and Risdon in as defenders.

KEEPERS
Mark Schwarzer (41)
Matt Ryan (21)
Nathan Coe (29)
Adam Federici (29)
Mitch Langerak (25)
Eugene Galekovic (32)
Ante Covic (38)

DEFENDERS
Luke Wilkshire (32)
Michael Marrone (27)
Jade North (32)
Chris Herd (24)
Josh Risdon (21)
Matt Smith (31)
Lucas Neill (36)
Michael Beauchamp (33)
Luke Devere (24)
Curtis Good (20)
Shane Lowry (24)
Sasa Ognenovski (34)
Mark Milligan (28)
Adrian Leijer (27)
Shane Steffanutto (34)
David Carney (30)
Matthew Spiranovic (25)
Michael Thwaite (30)
Scott Jamieson (25)
Michael Zullo (25)
Ryan McGowan (24)
Jason Davidson (23)
Robert Cornthwaite (28)
Dino Djulbic (31)
Aziz BehicH (23)
Ivan Franjic (26)

MIDFIELDERS
Carl Valeri (29)
Erik Paartulu (27)
Mile Jedinak (29)
Rhys Williams (25)
Jon McKain (31)
Brett Emerton (35)
Brett Holman (29)
Matt Leckie (23)
Mustafa Aimini (20)
Neil Kilkenny (28)
James Triosi (25)
Dario Vidosic (26)
Adam Sartora (25)
Nick Carle (32)
Mitch Nicholls (24)
Tim Cahill (34)
Matt McKay (31)
Marc Bresicano (34)
James Holland (24)
Jacob Pepper (22)
Tom Rojic (21)
Massimo Louongo (21)
Terry Antonis (20)
Aaron Mooy (23)
Royston Griffiths (25)
Ben Halloran (21)

FOWARDS
Robbie Kruse (25)
Brent McGrath (22)
Nikita Rukavystya (26)
Nathan Burns (25)
Josh Kennedy (31)
Archie Thompson (35)
Alex Brosque (30)
Scott McDonald (30)
Eli Babalj (22)
Kerem Bulut (22)
Dylan Tombides (20)
Tommy Oar (22)
Matthew Leckie (23)

Anyone you think will come up from the junior ranks? Missed anyone?

Fair few names there I haven't heard for a while. Wasn't Oar making noises about wanting more game time? If he doesn't get a move up in Europe, might be worth a cheeky loan bid back to the A-League.

Tomas rozig(spelling). He looks to be the most talented player coming through the ranks.

Rogic, you mean? The one at CCM?

Not sure if Bruce still has a chance. He's gone from the next Viduka tag to being just a standard A-league player, hope he turns it around.

He played a handful of games for Portsmouth this season before he was made redundant and picked up by Fulham so the potential is there. Then again Ahmed Elrich got a contract with Fulham but I can't see Ryan Williams turning in to a drug dealing stick up kid.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't see Ryan McGowan there?

Can't be far away from a call up given his form at Hearts this season.

I didn't include him because there was something said in the press about him pledging his aliegence to Scotland. He had an Aussie flag draped around him after the game on Saturday so I assume that's changed. Will add him. He's a central defender too so he should definately be given a chance at least.

I didn't include him because there was something said in the press about him pledging his aliegence to Scotland. He had an Aussie flag draped around him after the game on Saturday so I assume that's changed. Will add him. He's a central defender too so he should definately be given a chance at least.

After the Final that bawbag Chick Young was interviewing him on the pitch and saying to him how good it would be to play for Scotland on that pitch and he replied, "nah mate, I'd rather play for Australia". I think he's committed to us!

Socceroo playing stocks looking unbelievably thin.

I've argued this for a long time now - Holger has not done enough to give younger players a chance to develop at international level, he has constantly played it safe with the tried and tested.

He really does have to go out on loan or drop down a divvy to save his career. He isn't even 2nd choice at Liverpool, big club but what does that count when he can't even get a spot on the bench. He hasn't really shone when he's been in goal for Australia too (see the Uruguay howler he did).

Socceroo playing stocks looking unbelievably thin.

I've argued this for a long time now - Holger has not done enough to give younger players a chance to develop at international level, he has constantly played it safe with the tried and tested.

There was an article on the weekend, I think it was Lynch in the Age.

He compared the socceroos team that lost 3-0 to Uruguay in 2001 with the current likely starting team.

Every single player at that time was playing in a top 6 league (incl the Eredivisie).

Now - we're down to a handful, aged 32+, and the rest are playing in Asia or the A-League.

It's a massive come down in quality.

Yeah nah. Of the 13 players that played on that day only 6 played in one of these 'Top 6' leagues and one of them was Paul Agostino who was a complete donkey even before he came back to play for Adelaide United crocked. Okon wasn't exactly setting the world on fire at Boro at this time. From 2000 to 2002 he was injured half the time and played only a couple of dozen times.

-Shaun Murphy was playing for Sheffield United. Since when was the Championship a top 6 league? Ditto Muscat as he was playing for Wolves in the same league and also Lazaridis who was with Birmingham City. John Aloisi was at glorious Coventry City who were also down in that division by then.

-Skoko was playing for Genk in Belgium, not a top 6 league.

-Moore and Vidmar were with Rangers and as nice as it would be that the league in which my teams plays is one of the top 6 it isn't and never has been.

Doesn't seem to me it's 'every player on that team' somehow. Rose coloured spectacles and all.

Don't let the truth get in the way of a good story! :)

We're not looking as bad as people make out. Apart from the World giants most countries are in the same situation as us. The creation of the A League and more money in Asia compared to Europe means players will be spread out a little more.

Soccerooos.png

From the FourFourTwo forums

Absolutely diabolical. Most of us didn't need this to realise that young Australians are being unfairly overlooked. But the stats certainly speak for themselves: The Eredivisie and Championship are surely better than the J-League One – so how can J-League Two players be getting the nod? It astounds even further when you realise how little a bloke like Jade North has played.

I'm a huge fan of Williams and it's disappointing to see him thrown aside. The guy is nearing 24 and he's played less than 10 games: This is despite him being a rock in a fairly okay side.

Sure, I can understand Holger's reasoning. He wants to get Australia to Brazil. Blooding young footballers is peripheral to his plans. But, uh, y'know... I'd rather Ruka than Thompson and I'd sooner select any of those shown defenders over both Jade North (and likely Mark Milligan).

We were one of the oldest sides in the 2010 World Cup. And should we qualify for the next one, I wouldn't be surprised to see us be the oldest. How is this sustainable? Rhys Williams is past the age of orientation and 'fitting' into the Socceroos squad... yet he's barely done that.

Thompson scored 5 goals in a domestic Australian league Grand Final against 10 men 5 years ago. Your argument is invalid.

Remove this Banner Ad

Socceroos Socceroos "National Pool"

Remove this Banner Ad

Back