Society and Culture BF style

Remove this Banner Ad

And gays were being murdered by police during the era of Jack Cahill and Russel Ebert for nothing more than the crime of being gay.

In the time of Geoff Motley they were being sent to to concentration camps and executed.

Even the ones who were heroic figures with the allies were still castrated and driven to suicide.

All of this without even touching on places in the middle east or Africa or eastern Europe.

Lastly, importantly, there's never been an open homosexual footballer.

The Greeks have been welcome to play footy since forever.

Sent from my Nokia 7.2 using Tapatalk
Minority groups can only adopt a victimhood mentality and be completely protected from vilification only if they’ve received a certain amount of hate in the past, Got it! This really has turned into a pissing contest 😆

Minority groups can only adopt a victimhood mentality and be completely protected from vilification only if they’ve received a certain amount of hate in the past, Got it! This really has turned into a pissing contest
Christ almighty can you not see the contextual difference and also relate it to representation in footy?

Why?

My uncle was gutter stomped for being gay long before American History X brought such a move in to mainstream. Society had conditioned these men to become monsters and convinced them that nearly murdering another man based on his sexuality was an ok thing to do for fun.

When was your last gutter stomping?

I love how my counter arguments have somehow turned into me being a gay bashing homophobe who is racist. Unbelievable.

While I'm sympathetic to your story and sorry that it happened, to put it simply, a marginalised group of people cannot be compared to countries culture in depth that has been valid for thousands of years. There's too much weight behind one over the other for me. Racism has it's complexities whereas homophobia is solely on the sexual orientation of the individual.

Last edited:

I love how my counter arguments have somehow turned into me being a gay bashing homophobe who is racist. Unbelievable.

While I'm sympathetic to your story and sorry that it happened, to put it simply, a marginalised group of people cannot be compared to countries culture in depth that has been valid for thousands of years. There's too much weight behind one over the other for me. Racism has it's complexities whereas homophobia is solely on the sexual orientation of the individual.

Well I believe it absolutely can because it is pretty damn recent and affected many people still alive and relatively young.

A poster here just talked about how he knew a man murdered in a hate crime not even two decades ago, and his son was bullied because of it.

How is any of that ok? And how is what happened in the Ottoman Empire relevant? This shit is happening right ****ing now, and it's happening to some groups of people a hell of a lot more than others.

Do you honestly reckon a young gay man would feel as comfortable in a football environment as a straight person?

People have gotta relax, Gay marriage got voted in by Australians
By 60% of Australians. 40% voted against it. 'Don't worry, only two out of every five people in your country don't want you to have equal rights!' isn't really a slam dunk argument.

I'm sure there have already been hundreds of different sledges on the field this year, personally I think there is a difference between calling someone a ******* with malice compared to saying the same thing without any context along the lines of w@nker.

Obviously the recipient of the sledge should also be taken into account rather than everyone else being offended for him, he may have had not felt any ill will whatsoever or to the contrary.
nah you shouldn't even need to consider if the recipient might be okay with it to use that word

it is the N word equivalent and similarly preloaded with a history of malice

words such as these in your regular vernacular just shows a lack of imagination, creativity, intelligence

nah you shouldn't even need to consider if the recipient might be okay with it to use that word

it is the N word equivalent and similarly preloaded with a history of malice

words such as these in your regular vernacular just shows a lack of imagination, creativity, intelligence
Of course you should consider the recipient.

In your own example do you think an African American person would feel the same being on the receiving end of the N word from another African American compared to a white person?

This thread is obviously getting way off course, but if the ethnic background of LittleLika is Armenian then I'm going to cut him some slack.
What the Turks did to the Armenians was as bad as the holocaust, so bad in fact Turkey has expunged it from it's history books!

Back on course, I too have a feeling that Koch comparing Finlayson's regrettable homophobic insult of an Essendon opponent to Clarkson's tirade has muddied the waters somewhat, which could result in a heavier penalty than originally expected.
The hypocrisy is hilarious. If my comments were understood properly they would've got my point, yet they sit here taking the piss out of me. Very entitled western world we live in.

The hypocrisy is hilarious. If my comments were understood properly they would've got my point, yet they sit here taking the piss out of me. Very entitled western world we live in.

No I don't get your point and I don't think others would either, because it's ridiculous.

You come in here with some sense of righteousness that homophobia isn't comparable to racism and the things your people have suffered through are unquestionably worse and more relevant than things another group has suffered through.

your point was literally "don't compare homophobic slur to a racial slur because Ottomans"

I'm honestly surprised godwin hasn't been enacted yet

your point was literally "don't compare homophobic slur to a racial slur because Ottomans"

I'm honestly surprised godwin hasn't been enacted yet
No I already mentioned concentration camps for gays

Homosexuality was actually acceptable in Germany before Hitler

personally im happy with anyone to say whatever they want, ive had everyone of those words directed at me an i just couldnt care less. Ive lived a life and what i have learnt is that people are generally very hypocritical and pretentious with what they claim to be offended by and are actually not offended at all but rather just trying to make themselves look good, prove a point or gain leverage. Most of the time these same people will tell you to f*** off like they dont know that it means to perform a sexual act on them or to them.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

personally im happy with anyone to say whatever they want, ive had everyone of those words directed at me an i just couldnt care less. Ive lived a life and what i have learnt is that people are generally very hypocritical and pretentious with what they claim to be offended by and are actually not offended at all but rather just trying to make themselves look good, prove a point or gain leverage. Most of the time these same people will tell you to f*** off like they dont know that it means to perform a sexual act on them or to them.

So that's no worries if someone in your workplace comes up and calls you a ******, to your face? That's perfectly fine is it? And that should happen to everyone and they should just harden up?

Seems like being Gay may become even more popular especially for women. News.com.au Urgh published an article yesterday saying women having sex with women get more orgasms that with men. Men’s role in the world becoming redundant is only increasing 😂

Hence they said "openly"

It's absurd to genuinely believe that there has not been one homosexual player ever in the AFL.
Just saying to the knowledge of most people there has never been one and any suggestion there has is just (reasonable) speculation.

Point being that, why hasn't there been one that's not actively hiding part of themselves? And isn't that the problem?

He's happy for everyone to say whatever they want. So his kids school teachers can call his son a ****** in the middle of class. It'll teach him resilience.
And if the other kids hear that he's a ******, then they should take matters in to their own hands and give him a good old fashioned gay bashing.

After all, it is the school of hard knocks. Toughen up, all part of life to be discriminated against.

FIFO camps are literally a bastion of isolated men, who earn AFL draftee money straight out of school, many are 'unskilled', but with less workload and no social behavior obligations. Not a great example of greater society IMO. Similar for tradies... and trades make up most club footy playing lists.

As for the rest, I'd like to think we are changing that with new generations coming through. I'll certainly try and raise my son well and hope he doesn't develop homophobic tendencies. It's probably not needed in this thread but it's a topic worth talking about. I reckon homophobia is still a fair way behind the progress made in other areas of inclusiveness and diversity, but there could also be reasons for that.
I think you'll find that they make a pretty decent % of the population of a certain age group. I do agree that times are changing for the some groups, but for the groups mentioned above, it's not. They're almost doubling down on 'anti woke' and pushing it even harder.

I do agree that homophobia is well behind other areas, and I myself have used words such as G*y, F*g etc in the past. Whilst they're no longer in my vocabulary, I can easily see how in the heat of the moment, someone has let one slip. It is still common place to use these words in many settings unfortunately.

I think you'll find that they make a pretty decent % of the population of a certain age group. I do agree that times are changing for the some groups, but for the groups mentioned above, it's not. They're almost doubling down on 'anti woke' and pushing it even harder.

I do agree that homophobia is well behind other areas, and I myself have used words such as G*y, F*g etc in the past. Whilst they're no longer in my vocabulary, I can easily see how in the heat of the moment, someone has let one slip. It is still common place to use these words in many settings unfortunately.
I agree with all of that. There's been a lot of people here that think things have moved further than they have though, as one can see by reading through.

I still do the occasional distasteful banter among mates, as I admitted to earlier. Some may say that's hypocritical of me an to do better, fair enough, but I also admitted that some words are complete no go zones, that have an ingrained malicious intent and I will not use them, and one of those words is one that was used Friday night.

Americans' Self-Identification as LGBT, by Generation
LGBTStraight/HeterosexualNo response
%%%
Generation Z (born 1997-2003)20.875.73.5
Millennials (born 1981-1996)10.582.57.1
Generation X (born 1965-1980)4.289.36.5
Baby boomers (born 1946-1964)2.690.76.8
Traditionalists (born before 1946)0.892.27.1
Gallup 2021

The (Western) World is getting Gayer.

If this is correct, basically 1 in 5 AFL players is Gay.

Do people believe this to be correct?

The (Western) World is getting Gayer.

If this is correct, basically 1 in 5 AFL players is Gay.

Do people believe this to be correct?

I don't think the world is getting gayer. Acceptance is becoming more normalised, so more people are able to live like they want to live, and are more open to admitting it.

And you and others are trying to conflate a mere word to a grown adult masuline athlete man as a tiny insult on a football field to roaming the streets hunting down homosexuals and beating/killing them? The hyperbole is palpable. Haven't you held up signs in the crowd at Adelaide Oval calling for the coaches head? Do you think this would be hurtful to Ken and his family? Trying to openly call for the destruction of his livelihood? Which one is worse? Hypocrisy Much?

Publicly judging someone on their performance in a very high paid job where I pay part of their wage is clearly much more reasonable than using a homophobic slur. It should be obvious that having a crack at someone for what they do is acceptable, it's not acceptable to have a crack at someone for who they are.

I think everyone discussing this already knows that.

Nobody has compared the use of a slur to bashings and murder, but people did equate a homophobic slur with a racial slur, which caused LittleLika to raise the atrocities committed against his people in the name of race, which caused others to remind LittleLika that gay people have suffered the same sort of fate. That's the only reason the ongoing history of violence against gay people was raised, and that discussion has come to it's conclusion.

We have 0 openly gay AFL footballers. In a country where 18.9% of 16-24 year olds identify as something other than straight, it's a simple fact that there are plenty of gay AFL footballers who don't feel comfortable coming out, and that includes our list. Their colleagues throwing around homophobic slurs doesn't help. People kill themselves because they don't think their sexuality will be accepted. It's not hard to get this right.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back