Rumour Some assistant coach names appearing for Port's top job

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The Age has started the guessing game, throwing out a few names that don't begin in Brenton and end in Sanderson.

Ken Hinkley is a perennial favourite, Chris Scott was mentioned by Tredders on One Week at a Time, and John Blakey is a new one - he's coached under Matthews at Brisbane and Roos at Sydney. He was a tough as boot leather player for Fitzroy and North Melbourne.

Top assistants in frame for senior Port job
JAKE NIALL
July 16, 2010

link

SEASONED assistant coaches Ken Hinkley, Chris Scott and John Blakey are understood to be among the favoured candidates for the Port Adelaide senior coaching position.

<snip>

Brenton Sanderson, the Geelong senior assistant whom Mark Thompson wants to succeed him as senior coach, is another on the list that Port is expected to interview for the position in the wake of Mark Williams' dismissal.
link

Re: Some assistant coach names appearing

Ahh, the fun begins.

I wonder how many candidates will be rumoured to have the job in the bag.

Another rumour on FOX last night was that Choco has been offered a 3 year deal as a match day coach with GWS, with Sheeds being the head/mentor coach.

Ahh, the fun begins.

I wonder how many candidates will be rumoured to have the job in the bag.
This is one of the few times that rumours will actually help the club, so spread them around! Making it seem like every coach in Australia wants our top job boosts the brand, and increases optimism going into next season.

This is one of the few times that rumours will actually help the club, so spread them around! Making it seem like every coach in Australia wants our top job boosts the brand, and increases optimism going into next season.

It' my understanding, according to rumour, Nathan Buckley has told Collingwood he's not interested in the top job there anymore and has asked to be interviewed for the Port coaching position. Well, that's what Caro told me.:D

MW might end up at GWS but Sheeds is doing his best to stir up a bit of trouble for Matthew Knights and free up Essendon coaching position.
Matthew Knights is doing his best to stir up trouble at Essendon himself. The smartest thing Knights has done is employ a game plan based around exceptionally hard running with a young side..... and then wonder why they fade.

I won't be surprised to see Choco coach of Essendon at years end.

As for the Port Adelaide head coach position. I really do hope the club goes outside of Port Adelaide. It's needed.

bring them all down!

we need the best possible person for the job, and im not even close to being sold about Primus

his keeping in the side of Westhoff and Motlop, and naming Salter as back pocket, and naming Ebert at Full Forward isnt a good start in my book
if you told me that Choco still selected the side this week i could believe it

NEW START
CLEANOUT

I'd prefer to see a fresh face, or 5, at Alberton from next season, plus keeping Dean Laidley as a strategic planner would be a good move. Primus, Cripps & Kingsley should get some more experience elsewhere.

No mention of monty?

FWIW I think Essendon will be in the hunt for a new coach as well. Although it's bemusing that they would announce that they would review Knight's position at the end of the year. Why would it need to be announced? If anything it puts undue heat on the coach and club. Could Knight's exit from Essendon possibly be managed more poorly than Sheedy's?

No mention of monty?

FWIW I think Essendon will be in the hunt for a new coach as well. Although it's bemusing that they would announce that they would review Knight's position at the end of the year. Why would it need to be announced? If anything it puts undue heat on the coach and club. Could Knight's exit from Essendon possibly be managed more poorly than Sheedy's?

Essendon would think they are a more attractive destination than any non Vic club. They'd prefer people came knocking they're not stupid enough to think it will happen without some effort on their part. By 'announcing' they raise the price of anyone contemplating moving away from or back to Vic, even for AC spots. Between us, Essendon, GC, GWS, maybe WC, and who knows who will be the scapegoat for Carlton's overinflated expectations, a lot of AC changes to go with senior coach changes. Never enough talent to go around and us likely to have by far the lowest budget for it...

What would we get for Cripps & Kingers on ebay ?

bring them all down!

we need the best possible person for the job, and im not even close to being sold about Primus

his keeping in the side of Westhoff and Motlop, and naming Salter as back pocket, and naming Ebert at Full Forward isnt a good start in my book
if you told me that Choco still selected the side this week i could believe it

NEW START
CLEANOUT

spadge i agree, i want a cleanout too
however can i refer you to the thread on team selection vs bulldogs. i am others make good discussion on why that will come, but shouldnt happen this week. in fact you dont want them all dropped this week, they are on notice, not sacked. they need to be put to the test thus we need to actually play them

give it a few weeks

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Matthew Knights is doing his best to stir up trouble at Essendon himself. The smartest thing Knights has done is employ a game plan based around exceptionally hard running with a young side..... and then wonder why they fade.

I won't be surprised to see Choco coach of Essendon at years end.

As for the Port Adelaide head coach position. I really do hope the club goes outside of Port Adelaide. It's needed.

i feel for the guy

he doesnt "look" the part and is being white anted

and they say port were an unprofessional club

choco would do worse for them

i feel for the guy

he doesnt "look" the part and is being white anted

and they say port were an unprofessional club

choco would do worse for them
I have a feeling that Essendon knew whoever came in after Sheedy was on a hiding to nothing. Employ a very average coach thus elevating Sheedy higher in the Essendon stratosphere and allow a better coach to take the reigns come sacking time.

Essendon has played this card pretty well for mine. They knew a good coach would become available at some point even if they should have employed Hardwick.

Rucci reports today that the boards meets on Monday and the process begins on Tuesday.

What do you guys think about Goody as an assistant? I would be throwing everything at him if i was on the Port Board.

What do you guys think about Goody as an assistant? I would be throwing everything at him if i was on the Port Board.
Him and Matty would be a good mix :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Remove this Banner Ad

Back