Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Ocha905, Theme: Favourite Genre, Votes Due: Sunday 10pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Would have chosen DQ rather than listen to that playlist...

None of those songs, or many popular songs from the 80s appeal to me. My tastes have evolved way past that point. You would be hard pressed to find any 80s, let alone 90s albums on my Spotify.
My musical tastes have evolved immensely from my am radio days of the 80s.

Doesnt mean I have to ditch the songs of my childhood.

I played all the songs on the list I posted at full bore before I went out tonight. Happiest Ive been for a long time.

Message to my Girl easily in my top 5.

If I really think about it my top 80s it would be

1. Under the Milky Way
2. Purple Rain
3. Message to my Girl
4. State of the Heart
5. Come Said the Boy
6. Razors Edge
7. Dont stop till you get enough
8. Dont Dream its Over
9. Charlotte Sometimes
10. Lovesong.
11. Change in Mood
12. Ashes to Ashes :smile:
13. Is she really going out with him
14. Coming Around again
15. Forever Young
16. Waiting for a Star to fall
17. St Elmos fire
18. Cry little Sister
19. back on the chain gang
20. Sledgehammer
5 State of the Heart
4 Coming Around Again
3 Under the Milky Way
2 Lovesong
1 Ashes to Ashes

Message to my Girl easily in my top 5.

If I really think about it my top 80s it would be

1. Under the Milky Way
2. Purple Rain
3. Message to my Girl
4. State of the Heart
5. Come Said the Boy
6. Razors Edge
7. Dont stop till you get enough
8. Dont Dream its Over
9. Charlotte Sometimes
10. Lovesong.
11. Change in Mood
12. Ashes to Ashes :smile:
13. Is she really going out with him
14. Coming Around again
15. Forever Young
16. Waiting for a Star to fall
17. St Elmos fire
18. Cry little Sister
19. back on the chain gang
20. Sledgehammer
Hard to say because I was on a different path with more synth pop and less rock and pop music. Then there was Icehouse, Duran Duran, Depeche Mode, Soft Cell, Pet Shop Boys, Spandau Ballet, OMD etc

I'd say for your list

1. Under The Milky Way
2. Forever Young
3. Purple Rain
4. St Elmos Fire
5. Sledgehammer

TBH I don't really like a lot of those pop songs and some of your other listed songs like KITK I preferred Shine, and Current Stand.

None of those songs, or many popular songs from the 80s appeal to me. My tastes have evolved way past that point. You would be hard pressed to find any 80s, let alone 90s albums on my Spotify.
Respectfully disagree. Since joining the comp and going through Spotify I've discovered a lot of new music that I never would have listened to from Black metal to Country. While I listen to that stuff predominately over 80s music at this point in time I can easily revert back to 80s music and enjoy, just as much as I could for the 90s and the 2000s. Usually I find theses tracks are great for road trips.

Few songs I nominated recently were very nostalgic for me. And surprisingly they did very well

I only listen to 80s songs when I'm drunk and reminiscing about the good old days and when I'm in the car listening to 96FM.

They played a few classic 80s songs when I was in the car today.

Then they spoiled it by playing this Whitney Houston song.

I wish that I had Jesse's girl
Classic.
MOod always reminds me of Daffy Duck.
daffy duck loony toons GIF

Love a bit of 80s music, couldn't be bothered trying to rank it though.

I loved Icehouse as a kid, this song would be right up there with my favourite songs of the 80s, an absolute classic.

Divinyls were a favourite 80s Aussie band of mine too after I saw them announce themselves on Countdown with this song.

I was also a big fan of Mondo Rock, Mental As Anything, INXS, Men at Work, Aussie Crawl and Models in the early to mid 80s.

This Models song is another early 80s classic.

I didn't get into other Aussie bands like The Church, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, Hunters & Collectors and ACDC until I was older.

It's hard enough just trying to rank all the great songs from Aussie and Kiwi bands from the 80s, let alone UK and US bands too.

There were hits galore back then, too many to mention.

I loved Icehouse as a kid, this song would be right up there with my favourite songs of the 80s, an absolute classic.

Divinyls were a favourite 80s Aussie band of mine too after I saw them announce themselves on Countdown with this song.

I was also a big fan of Mondo Rock, Mental As Anything, INXS, Men at Work, Aussie Crawl and Models in the early to mid 80s.

This Models song is another early 80s classic.

I didn't get into other Aussie bands like The Church, Midnight Oil, Cold Chisel, Hunters & Collectors and ACDC until I was older.

It's hard enough just trying to rank all the great songs from Aussie and Kiwi bands from the 80s, let alone UK and US bands too.

There were hits galore back then, too many to mention.

Divinyls were great, did you see them in that Noni Hazelhurst movie? I like the line in the Models song ‘When it is Christmas for everyone else I feel like I missed an appointment’

Divinyls were great, did you see them in that Noni Hazelhurst movie? I like the line in the Models song ‘When it is Christmas for everyone else I feel like I missed an appointment’

No I didn't, I didn't get to see them play live either but I wished I did.

Their Jailhouse Rock concert at Boggo Road in the early 90s is great to watch on youtube though.

They had a different line up then, Chrissy Amphlett and Mark McEntee were the only two mainstays in the Divinyls line up.

Mark McEntee went to a high school in Perth near to the high school I went to in Perth in the 80s which both no longer exist.

There was a story back then that he used to just play guitar at school rather than bothering to pay attention to the lessons.

One of the teachers at his school told him that he would never get anywhere just playing guitar, I think he had the last laugh.

I wish I had done the same thing as him.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

No I didn't, I didn't get to see them play live either but I wished I did.

Their Jailhouse Rock concert at Boggo Road in the early 90s is great to watch on youtube though.

They had a different line up then, Chrissy Amphlett and Mark McEntee were the only two mainstays in the Divinyls line up.

Mark McEntee went to a high school in Perth near to the high school I went to in Perth in the 80s which both no longer exist.

There was a story back then that he used to just play guitar at school rather than bothering to pay attention to the lessons.

One of the teachers at his school told him that he would never get anywhere just playing guitar, I think he had the last laugh.

I wish I had done the same thing as him.

Monkey Grip was the name of it, you can watch on youtube

The Divinyls were just another great Aussie band from the 80s that deserved to have more success in the States.

They did have some success there with this song though in the early 90s.

I heard that song on the radio in the States when I was living there in the late 90s along with The Church's Under the Milky Way.

INXS got some radio airplay there too along with ACDC but Silverchair got the most radio airplay, they were huge there back then.

Dont forget the 2000s

These were some of my faves from the 2000s

Fave albums would The Love Album - The Beatles 2006
and Live at the Grand Olympic Auditorium by RATM 2003
American IV: The Man Comes Around by Johnny Cash 2002
Across the Bridge of Hope - Various, 2003
and prob a few others containing the songs below

Fave songs
1 Chiquitita - Sinead O'Connor 2003 from Across the Bridge of Hope which also has The Cure at Troy recited by Liam Neeson spudmaster
2 Chasing Cars – Snow Patrol 2006
3 I Try Macy Gray - released 1999 still charting in 2000?
4 White Flag – Dido 2003
5 Dakota - Stereophonics 2005
6 Don't Phunk with My Heart — The Black Eyed Peas 2005
7 Gold Digger - Kanye West 2005
8 Dixie Chicks - Sin Wagon 2000
9 Hurt – Johnny Cash 2003
10 Teenage Dirtbag - Wheatus 2000
11 Black Betty - Spiderbait 2004
12 The Ghost Of Tom Joad - RATM 2000
13 7 Nation Army - White Stripes 2003
14 Do Right Woman Sinead O'Connor 2003
15 Evie - The Wrights 2004
16 Lullaby - Dixie Chicks 2006
17 Thank you - Dido 2001
18 Travelling soldier - Dixie Chicks 2002
19 Sex On Fire - Kings of Leon 2008
20 We Are All Made of Stars Moby 2002
21 No One - Alicia Keys 2007
22 Icky Thump - White Stripes 2007
23 I Got A Feeling Black Eyed Peas 2009
24 Me Julie Ali G 2002
25 Stuck in a Moment You Can't Get Out Of - U2 2000
26 Beautiful Day - U2 2000

I grew up listening to a lot of 80s (and 70s) music because of my parents. Preferred the 80s stuff though, especially new wave.

Hard to choose only 10, but here are some of my faves released in the 80s:
  1. Phillip Oakey & Giorgio Moroder - "Together In Electric Dreams"
  2. New Order - "The Perfect Kiss"
  3. Icehouse - "Glam"
  4. Fleetwood Mac - "Gypsy"
  5. Dead Or Alive - "You Spin Me Round (Like A Record)"
  6. Soft Cell - "Tainted Love"
  7. Stevie Nicks - "Rooms On Fire"
  8. A Flock Of Seagulls - "I Ran (So Far Away)"
  9. David Bowie - "Let's Dance"
  10. Enya - "Na Laetha Geal M'óige"
This also made me realise how many songs I love were released in the 70s! All my favourite songs by The Police are from 1979 for example lol.

Remove this Banner Ad

Song Contest Part XXII, Host: Ocha905, Theme: Favourite Genre, Votes Due: Sunday 10pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back