Song Contest Part XXII, Host: omgfridge, Theme: Star Wars, Noms Due: Monday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Mm.
But I'm not saying that Ocha. I too love to discover new music.
Sorry for any misunderstanding on my part mbr, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.
What I'm saying is, I'm willing to accept and play by the parameters of the host!
Everyone who participates in a round is playing by the parameters set by the host. But just because a host allows winners/podiums doesn't mean a contestant is obliged to vote for them.
And it isn't even about celebrating 'classic' songs. If a song becomes beloved by many people there is something in that universal appeal usually. And it becomes a classic.
whether for vibe, passion, freshness that lasts over years...like Danny Boy is a classic and Greensleeves. Why? They touch something universal in us.

Yeah, I am interested in the soul, spirit or even psychology of that ...
That's beautifully put and I wholeheartedly agree!
But again, my usual nomming when there are no podiums allowed, runs to the more unusual I think.
You nom great stuff and I'm thankful for your participation! I'm not criticising those that nom podiums when the host allows it. Again I vote according to my preferences.
And to close my argument...I think it's insulting for whoever nommed that beautiful song by George, for Purple to dismiss it as a vote grab attempt.
It's hard to know the motivations of why a song is nommed.
I can only speak for myself who sometimes does nom things in the hopes of it doing well Eg - Caroline Palochek (a success) or Adele (not well received).
Sometimes I like to nom something that pushes buttons or won't do well but want to show my taste, or lack thereof lol. Eg This rounds nom, Kabin Crew, Wicca Phase Springs Eternal, Emahoy Tsege etc etc.
I think that says more about the filter purple is looking through, than the choice of a gorgeous George song that really honours him.
It does reflect Purple's filter but the filter isn't inherently wrong, just as yours isn't wrong either. It comes back to Sociology principle 101 - Everybody experiences things differently. I won't speak for Purple but am pretty sure he would think highly of the song.
I wish there had been more classic stuff, but it's everyone's personal choice isn't it.
That's absolutely fair enough! I suspect others want a bit more freedom in what they can nom though hence the participation being lower than usual. I was umming and ahhing about participating myself tbh as listening to the greatest hits of the Beatles isn't interesting on a personal level as I can do that on Tidal myself. I also knew I'm going to have no chance of winning/probably going to win the Billy lol.
In the end I'm thankful for the unexpected variety this round had and that I nommed something. This round was a pleasant surprise from my perspective but probably a disappointment to others for the exact same reason.

Of course you did.😂
Why do you ignore the parameters given by a host?
Can you not accept that some rounds are about celebrating the best songs?

There a quite a few of us paying a price listening wise, because songs were nommed way before our time!

If the host says previous podiums OK, I'm gonna honour that.

I'm curious as to your stance.😊
I find that each round - because I joined so late, many of the songs I would love to nom were taken ages ago. It become a chore, more than a joy, to find 'new songs' some weeks

Last edited:
I find that each round - because I joined so late, many of the songs I would love to nom were taken ages ago. It become a chore, more than a joy, to find 'new songs' some weeks
I can send you a list of my faves - have heaps that haven’t been nominated :p

I find the rounds where I have to find new songs the best. I found Ellende the other week from a search round. I found several other artists that way too. It's great to break out of your comfort zone. I'm very reluctant to nominate something that's previously nominated. I think i've done it less than a handful of times.

Sorry for any misunderstanding on my part mbr, I'm not trying to put words in your mouth.

Everyone who participates in a round is playing by the parameters set by the host. But just because a host allows winners/podiums doesn't mean a contestant is obliged to vote for them.

That's beautifully put and I wholeheartedly agree!

You nom great stuff and I'm thankful for your participation! I'm not criticising those that nom podiums when the host allows it. Again I vote according to my preferences.

It's hard to know the motivations of why a song is nommed.
I can only speak for myself who sometimes does nom things in the hopes of it doing well Eg - Caroline Palochek (a success) or Adele (not well received).
Sometimes I like to nom something that pushes buttons or won't do well but want to show my taste, or lack thereof lol. Eg This rounds nom, Kabin Crew, Wicca Phase Springs Eternal, Emahoy Tsege etc etc.

It does reflect Purple's filter but the filter isn't inherently wrong, just as yours isn't wrong either. It comes back to Sociology principle 101 - Everybody experiences things differently. I won't speak for Purple but am pretty sure he would think highly of the song.

That's absolutely fair enough! I suspect others want a bit more freedom in what they can nom though hence the participation being lower than usual. I was umming and ahhing about participating myself tbh as listening to the greatest hits of the Beatles isn't interesting on a personal level as I can do that on Tidal myself. I also knew I'm going to have no chance of winning/probably going to win the Billy lol.
In the end I'm thankful for the unexpected variety this round had and that I nommed something. This round was a pleasant surprise from my perspective but probably a disappointment to others for the exact same reason.
I'd love to nominate Icehouse - Great Southern Land but I wont. I'd love to nominate Band of Horses - The Funeral but I won't.

Not unless someone specifically stated it's bangers round, or best of the podiums etc.

I've contemplated nominating November Rain before but after thinking about it realized that nobody needs to hear that song again. Now it could come first, or win the billy. Noone knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Beatles Theme5George HarrisonAwaiting on You All
4Danger Mouse99 Problems
3Matt HylomLet It Be
2Gentri CoversLet it Be
1Motley CrueHelter Skelter
BKanyeAll Day
HMJosh TurnerPaperback Writer
George HarrisonIsn't It A Pity

Fossie 32
Its Been A Long Time Waiting GIF

5. Paul McCartney - "Temporary Secretary" The weirdness differentiates it enough to get top billing. 10th MC Bad Genius
4. Fiona Apple - "Across the Universe" Fiona can do no wrong Purple7x08_24 2nd
3. The Beatles - "Girl" por_please_ya 5th
2. The Beatles - "Birthday" Tonga Bob 4th
1. George Harrison - "Awaiting on You All" Fossie 32 1st

Billy - Gentri - "Let It Be" This cover's too sappy for my blood.

Playlist Rating. 6.5/10. Very even round with much more diversity than I was expecting. The lack of numbers hurt.

Remove this Banner Ad

Song Contest Part XXII, Host: omgfridge, Theme: Star Wars, Noms Due: Monday 9pm AEST Time

Remove this Banner Ad

Back