Songs - time and place

Remove this Banner Ad

Jun 23, 2004
AFL Club
Adelaide
Do some songs have an ability to transport you to a time or place in your life? Do these memories make it difficult to listen to these songs if they weren't pleasant times in your life?

For example, as a recent one, New Sensation (INXS) was played after Hird/Sheedy's farewell at the MCG, hence, whenever I hear it, I am dragged back to at Sunday evening at the MCG in August, 2007.

Holy Grail, similarly, transports me back to 2002.

Is this the case for others?

A number of songs get me thinking about certain times in my life (eg can take you back to a past 'love', to name just one of many), and when thinking about these times, you are often led to a place(s) where events unfolded during such times.

Yep. When my father died a few years ago i had to get in my car & go to my brothers house soon after i heard the news. Once in the car, i made sure the radio was turned off before i turned the ignition.

Yep. When my father died a few years ago i had to get in my car & go to my brothers house soon after i heard the news. Once in the car, i made sure the radio was turned off before i turned the ignition.

not a bad idea.

having songs you really like but remind you of bad times do feel pretty weird to listen to at some times.

Good Riddance (Time Of Your Life) is one that always sticks in my mind as it was played at my mates and he sisters funeral. Both massive Green Day fans and they'd just been to see Green Day play at the start of the American Idiot tour. I missed it for some reason. Made sure I went when they came back to Melbourne.

I See Girls, that doof doof song, reminds me of first year uni and Run To Paradise takes me back to the pub absolutely smashed making the realisation that life was just going to go downhill after uni.

Knock You Out (feat. Anthony Mundine) - Joel Turner. Whenever I hear it, I cant help but laugh and think of great times my mates and I had at schoolies. That song became the theme song to the trip. The Killers - Hot Fuss reminds me of year 12, as we smashed that album hard for many weeks.

Pretty much any song I heard more than a few times during a memorable period in my life usually sticks with me and whenever I hear it, it takes my mind back to that time.

Pretty much any song I heard more than a few times during a memorable period in my life usually sticks with me and whenever I hear it, it takes my mind back to that time.

Yeah, I'm pretty much the same. Sometimes I completely forget how I felt at certain periods in my life and it's scary how a song can instantly transport you back there and recreate everything so vividly.

My mum had Ave Maria played at her funeral, now I get teary every time I hear it. Powerful stuff.

on a lighter note 'We're the kids of America' always takes me back to the skating rink days in 1985

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Do some songs have an ability to transport you to a time or place in your life? Do these memories make it difficult to listen to these songs if they weren't pleasant times in your life?

For example, as a recent one, New Sensation (INXS) was played after Hird/Sheedy's farewell at the MCG, hence, whenever I hear it, I am dragged back to at Sunday evening at the MCG in August, 2007.

Holy Grail, similarly, transports me back to 2002.

Is this the case for others?

:thumbsu: - Ripping thread.

I find it difficult to listen to To Sheila by Smashing Pumpkins cause i listened to it a lot after my nan died.
But I have heaps of songs I download so that I CAN actually be transported to a time in my life that are funny or enjoyable (for eg. Renegade master live remix by Fatboy transports me to my old flat watching my flatmate at the time off his head etc)
On a related note I can't listen to No Quarter by Zeppelin anymore as I had a nasty car accident listening to that and get an odd feeling when I listen to that song ever since. and that's 10 years after the fact.

The Cranberries' "Ode To My Family" always brings me back when me, my mum, and siblings would go to the park on saturday mornings. The park was next to a library where we would also rent some books.

This was no ordinary park though. There were so many small trees that an adult could touch the leaves by reaching upward. It looked like a park for "little" people. Also, the trees covered so much area that sunlight never struck the playgrounds. It definitely was an odd looking place but this song brings me back to that time. My mum also would make us vegemite sandwhiches for us kids everytime we went to the park.

Thinking about this great time almost brings a tear. :)

During uni there seemed to a certain song that was really popular during O'Week or Uni Games, such that whenever I hear it I get taken back to that particular point in time.

Some examples:

July 2002 - Southern Uni Games - Hot In Herre (Nelly)
September 2004 - Aus Uni Games - Summer Rain (Slinkee Minx)
February 2006 - O'Week - Love Generation (Bob Sinclar)
September 2006 - Aus Uni Games - Sexy Back (Justin Timberlake)

I don't particularly like any of those songs (Summer Rain but only Belinda Carlisle's version) but they all bring back some great memories.

Smells do it to me too.

Theres a certain floor cleaner that instantly transports me back to primary school when I smell it.

Yeah!! Lynx Pulse takes me back to when I was a gun footballer 3 years ago, made one level under state only to be told that I was too short (171cm).

Theres a certain floor cleaner that instantly transports me back to primary school when I smell it.

Thats the same with me as well, its quite amazing.

I have heard the reason why smells (and possibly similar with music) do this is that the part of the brain that processes smells and the part that deals with memory are physically very close together (within the brain).

Remove this Banner Ad

Songs - time and place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back