Songs - time and place

Remove this Banner Ad

Music, Colours, Smell, they are all powerful things.

I recently went on a trip to the country, and now whenever I hear the songs, I remember that trip. When I had my old car I used to listen to Jeff Buckley, brings back memories of that.

Especially with bad memories, the music will be with you forever. It would be interesting to test that out. Can be equally powerful with good moments too.

Do some songs have an ability to transport you to a time or place in your life? Do these memories make it difficult to listen to these songs if they weren't pleasant times in your life?

For example, as a recent one, New Sensation (INXS) was played after Hird/Sheedy's farewell at the MCG, hence, whenever I hear it, I am dragged back to at Sunday evening at the MCG in August, 2007.

Holy Grail, similarly, transports me back to 2002.

Is this the case for others?

If I had to nominate every single song I had that fitted this criteria, or something close to it, i'd be here for a week naming them all.

Music invokes emotion

Is anyone with me when I say whenever I hear a song like

Verve - Bitter Sweet Symphony
U2 - Beautiful day
New Radicals - You get what you give

It lifts me up and I just want to start screaming the song out. Funny that isn't it.

Yep. When my father died a few years ago i had to get in my car & go to my brothers house soon after i heard the news. Once in the car, i made sure the radio was turned off before i turned the ignition.

Wish I had have done this when I heard the news of my dad dying a few months ago...

Smells do it to me too.

Theres a certain floor cleaner that instantly transports me back to primary school when I smell it.

It is the smell of cinnamon for me. Always reminds me of the first time I went to an Angels ballgame in Anaheim.

Many songs remind me of different things, but the ones that stand out are these.

Come Out and Play (Offspring) - the first time I heard the song was in 1994. I was driving into Cleveland from the airport in a hire car. It was a big white Oldsmobile with burgandy velour seats, that I called the "pimpmobile". :D

The Walls Came Down (The Call) - reminds me of the old ice rink at Footscray.

Amazing - at the Dome after Nathan Burke's final game. That always takes me back as a little kid sitting in the Medallion Club (the only time so far in my life) applauding him.

Whip it - of a friends father who passed away (was played at his funeral).

Remove this Banner Ad

Songs - time and place

Remove this Banner Ad

Back