Prediction Sonja Hood

Remove this Banner Ad

Idk about you guys but I do not get the ‘heat of the moment’ stuff on here

You type stuff out, then do you not reflect on what you are about to post?

Weird.
This part of the debate does not surprise me. Especially game day threads, most people want to be fast with their hot takes, there is zero reflection. And I doubt many people reconsider posts they’ve made and go back to edit or delete them, even though it’s easy to do.

Heath O’Loughlin, Michael Tormey and now Sonja Hood.

That’s 3 club officials I can think of who have now removed themselves and have refused to engage on social media with supporters.

I know we have supporters who go over the top, but it goes to show how much pressure they’re under at the football club. Which says to me all is not well internally.

I was speaking with a herald sun journo on the weekend and we got talking North.
His mate works in the roo shop and next to the membership department.

Sadly most of the staff quit due to the barrage of abuse they receive on a Monday morning from members who call in.
Your point still stands but O'Loughlin & Tormey still seem to be on Socials. In fact Heath O'Loughlin has been quite vocal about our performances this year.

This part of the debate does not surprise me. Especially game day threads, most people want to be fast with their hot takes, there is zero reflection. And I doubt many people reconsider posts they’ve made and go back to edit or delete them, even though it’s easy to do.

Good point. But it only explains the rubbish in there. It doesn't excuse it.

Some people, especially in their use of social media, have no conception of what it means to maintain some separation between their ‘public’ and ‘private’ self.
They also tend to lack an internal handbrake (‘should I really say this’) as well as the ability or willingness to put themselves into the shoes of the person they are attacking (‘how would I feel if someone wrote this about me or my daughter/friend etc’).
My rule is try not to post anything that you wouldn’t be prepared to say to that person to their face. For example, I am prepared to tell the ground announcer at Marvel that he should be fired out of a cannon.
As far as the game day threads go, I’d generally agree with tazaa that people can vent as long as it doesn’t cross certain lines (like sexist, homophobic and misogynistic language & over the top abuse etc). I tend not to post in game day threads that much. I generally prefer just to watch the game but I am occasionally prone to making a tactical comment or a bit of gallows humour.
On here I tend to go by the rule that it’s easy to judge someone by their latest post but we don’t know what’s going on in their lives. If I’m judging someone it’s more based on their overall style of posting or, in some cases, the sheer repetition of their posts.

As for Sonja, I think we are very lucky to have her and I feel a great deal of sympathy for her considering the cards she has been dealt through no fault of her own.

There is a thread on this board right now about sacking the coach like any variation of that does not sink us lower than we are currently if not pose a very real existential threat.

Reconsider posts?
Hahahahaha

I had heard that she posted some photos during the lions game?
Copping some flak around happy snaps while the clubs getting smashed and looking like they don't want to be there?

I had heard that she posted some photos during the lions game?
Copping some flak around happy snaps while the clubs getting smashed and looking like they don't want to be there?

Maybe. She got some flak from Cornes about something similar on Good Friday.

Good leadership makes everyone in the organisation feel important. Sonja does this very well. North fans have every reason to hate football at the moment. Having the pres come down and sit with fans and say that she enjoys North people and appreciates their support is really good leadership. Sonja gets it. Others don't. Maybe though, at that very moment, it's not the public leadership that's needed although I'm not sure what sort of public leadership in her role would amount to anything.

Either way, wherever the abuse has come from, it very sad for everyone that someone who enjoys interacting with fans feels they can't do it anymore.

Maybe. She got some flak from Cornes about something similar on Good Friday.

Good leadership makes everyone in the organisation feel important. Sonja does this very well. North fans have every reason to hate football at the moment. Having the pres come down and sit with fans and say that she enjoys North people and appreciates their support is really good leadership. Sonja gets it. Others don't. Maybe though, at that very moment, it's not the public leadership that's needed although I'm not sure what sort of public leadership in her role would amount to anything.

Either way, wherever the abuse has come from, it very sad for everyone that someone who enjoys interacting with fans feels they can't do it anymore.
A lot of the fans hating the game to the point they just wont turn up either..
Unfortunately everything is driven by performances on field.

Feel it's important to shout out giantroo at this point too, and all those that attempt to beat him to the punch, for posting all the north related content from the socials saving me the need to get involved with them.

It's the internet. We all know full well that the dregs of the internet gravitate towards social media and get a kick out of posting stuff they wouldn't say in person and under anonymity. Sadly we are still at a point where calling it out of discussing it just emboldens people. Especially when a vast majority are most likely opposition supporters around the age of 10-18. Common sense in small supply and it's not going to change any time soon.

I'm not surprised she has done it because I imagine the abuse women in power (and anyone that isn't a white male for that matter) receive on these platforms is lower than low.

I do worry that it's another blow that impacts her mentally and physically. I'd hate if the pressure and outside influences (combined with health related factors) cause her to leave the role because I'd love for her to be at the helm when (hopefully) we start to have some success on field. She deserves it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Some people, especially in their use of social media, have no conception of what it means to maintain some separation between their ‘public’ and ‘private’ self.
They also tend to lack an internal handbrake (‘should I really say this’) as well as the ability or willingness to put themselves into the shoes of the person they are attacking (‘how would I feel if someone wrote this about me or my daughter/friend etc’).
My rule is try not to post anything that you wouldn’t be prepared to say to that person to their face. For example, I am prepared to tell the ground announcer at Marvel that he should be fired out of a cannon.
As far as the game day threads go, I’d generally agree with tazaa that people can vent as long as it doesn’t cross certain lines (like sexist, homophobic and misogynistic language & over the top abuse etc). I tend not to post in game day threads that much. I generally prefer just to watch the game but I am occasionally prone to making a tactical comment or a bit of gallows humour.
On here I tend to go by the rule that it’s easy to judge someone by their latest post but we don’t know what’s going on in their lives. If I’m judging someone it’s more based on their overall style of posting or, in some cases, the sheer repetition of their posts.

As for Sonja, I think we are very lucky to have her and I feel a great deal of sympathy for her considering the cards she has been dealt through no fault of her own.
Agreed.

Weird.
If I post f*** Aidyn Coor’s dad after yet another turnover, it doesn’t insinuate that Corr’s old man has done anything wrong.

It’s having a go at the Corr lineage for producing such a dumb footballer.

And no, I don’t think posters do reflect.

I actually don’t understand what you expect people to do when a games on and they want to chat about it on here.

Do you want everyone to be koombaya and robots and be happy to be watching?
The games on TV. People can’t be there so they engage on here. Where else can North supporters head to and find another bunch or North supporters who are also watching on if they can’t get to a pub, etc.
Let them be ffs

Last edited:
Your point still stands but O'Loughlin & Tormey still seem to be on Socials. In fact Heath O'Loughlin has been quite vocal about our performances this year.

Not sure Heath has been helping matters. He still has a large North following and when he starts tagging in the official socials channel, it’s basically open slather. What are the poor campaigners operating the X account going to do?

Unpopular opinion. But Sonja and NMFC don’t need this kind of media attention right now. Perhaps she should have just ignored her x account for a week or two and quietly gone about deleting.

If something like online trolls is causing her distress, maybe she needs to take a bit of a break and weigh in on if this is the type of atmosphere she wants to continue to be around. Because it’s only going to get worse.

Not sure Heath has been helping matters. He still has a large North following and when he starts tagging in the official socials channel, it’s basically open slather. What are the poor campaigners operating the X account going to do?
He's definitely not helping, as our former GM of Media & Comms he knows exactly what it's like to be on the other side. I'm actually quite surprised, when he left North for the NBL he hardly ever Tweeted about the club particularly game day stuff but now he's acting like every other frustrated supporter, which is his right of course, but he really should know better.

Last edited:
The Game Day thread is locked once the final siren sounds.
It effectively operates like a “live chat” as opposed to a regular thread.

Suggesting that posters go back and delete posts, because they had a go at an umpire or a player is laughable.

Thats why the mods lock it. The games over. Nothing is taken out of context and opposition trolls can’t come in here after the game and antagonise a poster once the match is over.

Why do you think there have been bans for “liking” posts in an opposition’s teams autopsy thread. Chief literally posted a thread about it 24 hours ago.

How people choose to consume this website is up to them. There are rules so if you are breaking them then you won’t last.
If something doesn’t suit your personal preference or taste then ignore it. You can tailor content on here to how you wish to receive and engage with it.

Last time I checked game day threads have hundreds of posters, who are still on here and still posting the same s**t so they must be doing something right.

He's definitely not helping, as our former GM of Media & Comms he knows exactly what it's like to be on the other side. I'm actually quite surprised when he left North for the NBL he hardly ever Tweeted about this club particularly game day stuff but now he's acting like every other frustrated supporter, which is his right of course, bit he really should know better.

His frustration is understandable. Given his following, he should know better.

Agreed.

If I post f*** Aidyn Coor’s dad after yet another turnover, it doesn’t insinuate that Corr’s old man has done anything wrong.

It’s having a go at the Corr lineage for producing such a dumb footballer.

And no, I don’t think posters do reflect.

I actually don’t understand what you expect people to do when a games on and they want to chat about it on here.

Do you want everyone to be koombaya and robots and be happy to be watching?
The games on TV. People can’t be there so they engage on here. Where else can North supporters head to and find another bunch or North supporter who are also watching on
Let them be ffs
LMFAO

you are struggling to understand my point. I am not saying you can’t say xyz or whatever.

I just do not understand on the internet IN GENERAL how people don’t think before they post.

This apply to people on twitter towards Sonja or even on here.

LMFAO

you are struggling to understand my point. I am not saying you can’t say xyz or whatever.

I just do not understand on the internet IN GENERAL how people don’t think before they post.

This apply to people on twitter towards Sonja or even on here.
But that’s a given Ligma

Social media and this website is always going to attract people or a certain type of poster with awful takes.
And then there are those who take it too far and cross that line. I agree with you on that.

I only take issue with you trying to justify that because I had issues with the football program and to take this up with the president (I didn’t FYI - I woke up Monday and went to work like everybody else) that I posted during the game, and then you attempted to rationalise it and link it because I said the staff in the membership department also don’t deserve to be abused.

That saying we’ve gone back and forth enough so for the sake of not derailing this further let’s just get on with it and move on.

Weird.
🤣 The older we get, the more difficult it becomes to rein in one’s stupid, anxiety-ridden gut reactions. I used to laugh at my father in years gone by. Yet, here I am like some sort of deranged toddler, living out my frustrations with life - during footy games. It’s definitely more a “male” thing.

But that’s a given Ligma

Social media and this website is always going to attract people or a certain type of poster with awful takes.
And then there are those who take it too far and cross that line. I agree with you on that.

I only take issue with you trying to justify that because I had issues with the football program and to take this up with the president (I didn’t FYI - I woke up Monday and went to work like everybody else) that I posted during the game, and then you attempted to rationalise it and link it because I said the staff in the membership department also don’t deserve to be abused.

That saying we’ve gone back and forth enough so for the sake of not derailing this further let’s just get on with it and move on.
I never justified it.

I just brought it up as I thought it was funny as per the emoji. Don’t try to twist it.

Womp womp.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back