Soundwave 2011 and sidewaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Soundwave 2011.

Awesome line up if your an early 30 something like myself... the line up is basically a story book of my music listening life

Iron Maiden introduced me to "heavy metal" music as a youngster;
Slayer introduced me to thrash (thats what I called it back in the day) a few years later
Melvins introduced me to grunge going into my teens
Pennywise introduced me to punk, crowd surfing and going ballistic at gigs as a teen... seen them at least 5 times live...
Primus... well they just introduced that music doesnt have to sound normal to be very good.

You would also be broke. liek it or not, "faux metal" sells and the hxc kids are a dedicated lot with loads of disposable income. that's not to say there are no "real metal" bands there as high on fire (amongst others) are about as metal as metal gets.

It's most unfortunate that I don't like most of the actual metal bands on the bill. But some of the crap I mentioned could easily be replaced and it would enhance the festival. Some of those artists add nothing to the overall feel of the festival and I would say they wouldn't add a lot of $$$ to the promoters pockets either.

This year will sell out due to Slayer and Maiden. Why the **** would you have a heap of crap 'metal' / soft rock bands playing before them. They should cater to their different audience next year and get a great metal lineup this time to go along with the punk / emo/ hardcore lineup which would appeal to their other targets.

I'm all for everyone having their own opinion and everything, but anyone who disses a festival lineup with Melvins on it literally has NFI about music.

Don't blame me; that's just how it is.

...Or you could go to a sideshow.

Tossing up whether to go and see the 5-6 good bands on the bill or pay for 3 or 4 sideshows.

Really hoping QOTSA have one.

**** soundwave, this mystery mini festival in December is much better:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740285

Descendents (first time in Australia EVER)
NoFX
Dropkick Murphys
Killswitch Engage
Atreyu
Frenzal Rhomb
Parkway Drive
Me First and The Gimme Gimmes and many others (apparently around 10 more international punk/hardcore bands).

Seriously Descendents alone (or even NoFX, DKM, Me First) > Soundwave, let alone this mystery festival.

Fri December 17 Melbourne Showgrounds
Sat December 18 Sydney University Sports Fields
Sun December 19 Brisbane Riverstage & the City Gardens

**** soundwave, this mystery mini festival in December is much better:

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/showthread.php?t=740285

Descendents (first time in Australia EVER)
NoFX
Dropkick Murphys
Killswitch Engage
Atreyu
Frenzal Rhomb
Parkway Drive
Me First and The Gimme Gimmes and many others (apparently around 10 more international punk/hardcore bands).

Seriously Descendents alone (or even NoFX, DKM, Me First) > Soundwave, let alone this mystery festival.

Fri December 17 Melbourne Showgrounds
Sat December 18 Sydney University Sports Fields
Sun December 19 Brisbane Riverstage & the City Gardens

Sounds like my idea of hell...:D

Well no, it's not.

From a punk rock fan it is, and previous soundwave line ups have been ok from that perspective and is meant to be a sort of metal/punk/indy festival but us punkers have been left wanting in terms of festivals for a long time.

EDIT: according to the Descendents page the other 10 are "punk/hardcore/metal" acts so could be a bit in it for metal fans too.

From a punk rock fan it is, and previous soundwave line ups have been ok from that perspective and is meant to be a sort of metal/punk/indy festival but us punkers have been left wanting in terms of festivals for a long time.

Oh I don't doubt it. I like punk too, and would probably go along to this if it came to Perth and I had the cash (Killswitch, Parkway Drive, Atreyu etc aside), but this has some of my favourite bands of all time and of now. So it works for me.

Soundwave seem to always pull something out to get me going. 09 - NIN, Alice In Chains, Dillinger. 10- FNM, Baroness, Meshuggah, Gallows, Isis and Anthrax. This year Maiden, Slayer, Qotsa, High On Fire, Kylesa and Melvins? Sold.

If the 'metal' is all in the vein of Atreyu, KSE, et al then they should stop the false advertising.

If the 'metal' is all in the vein of Atreyu, KSE, et al then they should stop the false advertising.

Well it actually hasn't been advertised at all yet, Descendents just spilled the beans on their site so it's probably just someone from the band or a webmaster just throwing a blanket over those genres. I can't find any information on this festival at all apart from the Descendents site.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Soundwave seem to always pull something out to get me going. 09 - NIN, Alice In Chains, Dillinger. 10- FNM, Baroness, Meshuggah, Gallows, Isis and Anthrax. This year Maiden, Slayer, Qotsa, High On Fire, Kylesa and Melvins? Sold.

Fair enough, last year only really had A Wilhelm Scream and Anti Flag that interested me, not worth it IMO. This year has Less Than jake and that's it and I don't really like them, I am starting to get into Gaslight Anthem though.

I've never actually been to a festival (wasn't into music when the last warped tour came around), but I think I want more than 3 bands that peak my interest unless they're once in a lifetime bands. NoFX and Bad Religion toured together recently probably two of my top 3 bands and Pour Habit, a great new band from USA which I love also came along so that for me was better than any festival. This one looks good though.

seen them at solo gigs a few times; wanna see them at a fest:

[youtube]VMJdwp9OquM[/youtube]

or more recently w/big business:

[youtube]UduaIdeabvE[/youtube]
I'm really hoping that they do play a solo show with Big Business.

I guess the other thing is that like this year, there's a fair chance all the side shows will be in only two or three nights. Decisions.

Not impressed with the lineup this year. Maiden obviously the standouts, one of my favourite bands, but will catch their sideshow.

The problem seems to be that a lot of posters dont really seem to have a wide musical palette. The lineup seems to have a lot of new and upcoming bands (personally they all look like shit to me) and some older bands who have for better or worse defined there genres, ie maiden, monster magnet, slayer, QOTSA, Melvins, Social DistortionPrimus etc. I am not an emo metalcore kiddy but will check some of that stuff out early in the day. Have to agree with posters about variety, i have been listening to metal since i was 8 back in the late 70's but love nothing more than checking out a band i dont know during a break at a festival and getting blown away. Personally this years lineup was my dream lineup in 20 years of watching live music but the new one is pretty damn good. Sure zombie, slash 36 crazy fists and some of the punk stuff isnt every ones cup of tea, but some of these dinosaurs still know how to put on a hell of a show. i think rob zombie is over rated pus but reckon his live show would be awesome. Festivals are about spectacle and no one does it better than iron maiden. there are at least 14 bands i am keen to check out so will be a busy day for me at least.

Damn right.

Those ones I've bolded have got me locking in the ... cough, cough, ... sick day already.

I'm concerned about one thing; Slayer and Maiden playing at the same time. Maiden will obviously headline, and I'm pretty sure it was said that 'the band headlining the metal stage is big enough to headline the whole thing'.
Sounds like I'm going to have to pick? :eek::(

I'm concerned about one thing; Slayer and Maiden playing at the same time. Maiden will obviously headline, and I'm pretty sure it was said that 'the band headlining the metal stage is big enough to headline the whole thing'.
Sounds like I'm going to have to pick? :eek::(

Alternating metal stages. I'm pretty sure it'll work the same way main stages work.

Example: While Slayer are playing, the other stage will be getting ready for Maiden to play after Slayer is done.

Alternating metal stages. I'm pretty sure it'll work the same way main stages work.

Example: While Slayer are playing, the other stage will be getting ready for Maiden to play after Slayer is done.

Yes, if Slayer play on one of the main stages.
If they play on the tiny metal stage then you have to expect they will play at the same time and you won't be able to catch both performances.

Yes, if Slayer play on one of the main stages.
If they play on the tiny metal stage then you have to expect they will play at the same time and you won't be able to catch both performances.

There are two, alternating metal stages, that will work much like the main stages do. ;) I'm sure they've made sure the big names clash as little as possible.

Iron Maiden and QOTSA are standouts for me, but seriously, the overwhelming amount of lame soft-rock bands like 30 Seconds to Mars ruins this for me. I'll just go to the Maiden and QOTSA sideshows without having to witness some of the terrible music being played by some of those bands.

Maiden announced there sideshows and it doesn't look good.
Only two shows announced but it doesn't look like they are scheduled to announce more unless they go earlier then the first show.
The first show (in melbourne) is on the 23rd, and the Sydney show is the 24th. The first Soundwave is on the 26th in Brissy. Cost looks around $150
To make it worse, the Melbourne show is at Highsense rather then RL.
Seeing how there is 2 days of fan-club only presale starting TOMORROW, looks like it may be just soundwave for me.

I'm sure people will be disappointed with the no Perth, Brissy, Adelaide shows as well :p

Remove this Banner Ad

Soundwave 2011 and sidewaves.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back