South Africa 2010 - who will still be around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Re: Socceroos Retirees

From Big soccer............

The age that the Socceroos will be at the next world cup.

Schwarzer 37
Niell 32
Moore 34
Cahill 30
Culina 29
Popovic 37
Emerton 31
Skoko 34
Viduka 34
Kewell 31
Lazaridis 37
Covic 35
Grella 30
Chipperfield 34
Aloisi 34
Beauchamp 29
Thompson 31
Kalac 37
Kennedy 27
Wilkshire 28
Sterjovski 31
Milligan 24
Bresciano 30

demon_fanatic said:
ah dude isnt grella, bresciano and chipperfield only 26-28 years old.... meaning i think theyd still be holding down first spot teams in four years.

It's not that simple.

Now that we're in Asia we have a much larger commitment to international football.

If you're approaching or are in your 30s and are struggling to play 2-3 games a week at club level due to injury or wear and tear, all of a sudden that midweek qualifier in Baghdad, Tehran, Ulan Bator or the Maldives doesn't look as attractive - especially if you've lost your first team place to the next big thing in green and gold, or your livelihood is in danger if you leave.

I wouldn't be surprised if Skoko packs it in right now for instance, how he couldn't get a single minute of gametime at this world cup was a disgrace. He scored a crucial goal in the ACQs vs Bahrain and he scored a screamer against Greece - yet after being a fine servant of Australian football for a decade he gets rewarded with having to watch a dud in Luke Wilkshire running around in his stead.

Four years is an eternity in international football.

I think you will find its down to the new coach - Id say most of the squad would be under the pump (apart from Kewell (if fit) Bresh grella emerton culina Neill kennedy cahill)
thats alot of young blood that needs to step up

thebigboy said:
Its gunna come down to the development of Sarkies, Killkenny and other U21 players at the moment.

The biggest problem will be between the posts, assuming the Schwazer, Kalac and Covic are no longer there.

Hopefully Brad Jones shows a bit in the next 4 years. IIRC there are young Australian keepers at Reading and another decent English side.

macca69 said:
Hopefully Brad Jones shows a bit in the next 4 years. IIRC there are young Australian keepers at Reading and another decent English side.

The other big hope is Nathan Coe at PSV.

Guus brought him from Inter Milan's Primavera side prior to his involvement with Australia.

I don't think he's got a first team debut yet, but he's only 22, which is a baby in goalkeeping terms.

We've also got Jess Van Stratten who is still floating around Italy - with Verona in Serie B - and then there's Peter Zois who is battling to be Willem II's first team keeper.

philhawk said:
How many members of the current squad will we not see again don the green and gold for Australia come South Africa 2010?

I suppose Viduka, Schwarzer, Kalac, Chipperfield, Grella and Bresciano will be gone, or will they not be?

:(
Bresh will only be 30 in 2010. See CharlieG's thread for a good analysis.

Its by far the biggest issue the FFA now faces, how to repeat in 4 years time with new talent, and why they want a manager that will stick around Australia and help develop the younger talent into world class players. We may have an easier route to qualification, but dont be fooled by the results (or scorelines) of games where our B-Side is playing against 1st national outfits.

I believe Kalac will retire internationally with-in the next 6 months, in regards to other old guys such as Lazaridis, Popovic, etc, if they come back and return to the A-League well then the possibility of them playing qualifiers and so on definitely increases.

I can see it going in cycles, with each cycle ending in the Asia Cup. With that being played a year after the world cup I can see some of the older ones hanging around for that. After that though there is a three year break before the next world cup, I can see the turnover happening then.

A bit concerning though, the next generation really needs to be starting to make their mark at club and national level.

A lot of those youngsters sound quite exciting indeed, but the accountant in me makes me read all the profiles with utmost of scepticism and prudence. Can anyone confirm or deny the write-ups given?

I have to say that I don't think Kewell will be playing for the green and gold come 2010. Injuries will have practically crippled him by then and he'll understandably retire from international football to prolong his club career. Hopefully those youngsters scouted in that BigSoccer thread turn out to be as good as they're predicted to be.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

dyertribe said:
If you're approaching or are in your 30s and are struggling to play 2-3 games a week at club level due to injury or wear and tear, all of a sudden that midweek qualifier in Baghdad, Tehran, Ulan Bator or the Maldives doesn't look as attractive - especially if you've lost your first team place to the next big thing in green and gold, or your livelihood is in danger if you leave.

Yeah we will probably see a lot of our stars 'retire' from international football in the same way that Nedved, Zidane and co did. Then perhaps declare themselves available in 2010 if they are still playing well.

We might not see Kewell for 3 years.

Mr Sensitive said:
I have to say that I don't think Kewell will be playing for the green and gold come 2010. Injuries will have practically crippled him by then and he'll understandably retire from international football to prolong his club career. Hopefully those youngsters scouted in that BigSoccer thread turn out to be as good as they're predicted to be.

I think if Kewell is still playing club football, he will make himself available for the 2010 WC. The last time I have seen Harry celebrate a goal like he did against Croatia was against Iran in '97. Despite the crap he gets for not caring about his country, because he didn't want to risk injury by flying halfway around the world to beat the Soloman Islands 10-0, he does love playing for his country. If injury doesn't prematurely end his career, Harry will be in South Africa come 2010.

Mr Sensitive said:
Hopefully those youngsters scouted in that BigSoccer thread turn out to be as good as they're predicted to be.

Those 18 year olds are really for the 2014 World Cup.

We need the 1999-01 Joeys and Young Socceroos to come on now. The likes of Kisnorbo, MacDonald, McKain, Elrich, Wilkshire, Kennedy, North, Milicevic. Some steady defenders amongst that crowd but nothing to really scare on opposition defence.

We're in a very different situation compared to previous campaigns. Players hung on to try and qualify, now they've done it, there's a high to bow out of national team colours on.

Having said that Schwarzer has said he wants to go on to the next World Cup if he can - obviously its a long way out, but that was his desire after last night's loss.

Weaver said:
Those 18 year olds are really for the 2014 World Cup.

We need the 1999-01 Joeys and Young Socceroos to come on now. The likes of Kisnorbo, MacDonald, McKain, Elrich, Wilkshire, Kennedy, North, Milicevic. Some steady defenders amongst that crowd but nothing to really scare on opposition defence.

Yeh as I see it, in 2010 we will have some promising youngsters, and some players in the twilight of thei careers. However Josh Kennedy is one who will scare the opposition's defense.

macca69 said:
I think if Kewell is still playing club football, he will make himself available for the 2010 WC. The last time I have seen Harry celebrate a goal like he did against Croatia was against Iran in '97. Despite the crap he gets for not caring about his country, because he didn't want to risk injury by flying halfway around the world to beat the Soloman Islands 10-0, he does love playing for his country. If injury doesn't prematurely end his career, Harry will be in South Africa come 2010.

I wasn't really having a go at Kewell's commitment and you're right, I haven't seen him celebrate a goal so enthusiastically as the one he scored against croatia, I just think that with the rate he's copping injuries he'll have to sacrifice national duty in order to stretch his career, much like Alan Shearer did for England. I hate to say it but I think we'll never see Kewell at his best again and come 2010 he'll be 31 and a shadow of the player he was in his Leeds days.

fair enough not all of those 18 year olds will be ready come 2010 but hopefully some of them can be quick developers and claim a spot in the senior team by then. Every national side needs a dose of youthful enthusiasm, especially coming off the bench.

macca69 said:
Jamie Young
http://www.soccerbase.com/players_details.sd?playerid=33301

have no idea how good they are, just that they are young Australian keepers playing abroad.

Young plumped for England a couple of years ago (represented them in England U21) but I read on wikipedia a couple of months ago that he was released by Reading.

Either way, doesn't augur well for him.

Jones and Coe are the two hopes - if they bust we're screwed.

Mr Sensitive said:
i wonder if didulica would have been a serious contender for the number 1 jersey in the coming years if he hadn't chosen to play for croatia...

Certainly would have.

Was named in the Sydney2000 Olympic Squad and is obviously of the same vintage as Bresh, Grella, Emerton, etc.

The silly bastard freely admitted his decision to plump for Croatia was purely a pragmatic one and that he would have preferred to play for Australia but was frustrated by the lack of opportunities.

Just needed to bide his time.

dyertribe said:
The silly bastard freely admitted his decision to plump for Croatia was purely a pragmatic one and that he would have preferred to play for Australia but was frustrated by the lack of opportunities.

Probably going to turn out to be a bad decision.

He is 29. So at the next WC would be 33 and at his peak for a keeper.

However Pletikosa (27 now) is younger than him and Butina (32 now) might still be around as well.

In contrast he Schwarzer and Kalac are both 34 and Covic 31.

He would have been a good shot at number 1 for us, might be a permanent number 2 for them ... also our path to South Africa is much easier than Croatia's.

Remove this Banner Ad

South Africa 2010 - who will still be around?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back