South African Supersport Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

dantm

Senior List
Jan 31, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
No one should ever complain again about Channel 9 after listening to the crap coming out of the South African commentators over the past few weeks.

SEN just highlighted Pollock? saying that there can be only 2 results possible coming out of the Cape Town Test.A draw or a South African win (Australia were 3/400 at the time)
This is based on the possibility that Australia could be bowled out of 47 again in the second innings.
This fool also conveniently forgets that South Africa also lost 9/47 on this same day.

In regards to the OP, I would actually be surprised if it was Pollock - as he seems to be the best of them, IMO.

I saw Darryl Cullinan after Day 1, saying Australia held no advantage in the game (331-3 at the time). I also saw "Pommie" and some other moron talking rubbish and pro-SA propoganda soon after the rain came yesterday. It was probably one of them. Pommie in particular is a shockingly inaccurate and biased commentator.

In reality they're probably on a par with Slater and Healy, just makes it a lot harder when the shoe's on the other foot.

Haysman is Australian anyway.

I don't think they're that bad really, NZ commentators are class though.

Been listening to the SABC/ABC a lot more lately due to work, some genuine LOL moments, Jarrod Kimber is a beauty

SEN just highlighted Pollock? saying that there can be only 2 results possible coming out of the Cape Town Test.A draw or a South African win (Australia were 3/400 at the time)
This is based on the possibility that Australia could be bowled out of 47 again in the second innings.
This fool also conveniently forgets that South Africa also lost 9/47 on this same day.
The point was that if South Africa were to make a similar score to Australia in the first innings, the chance of Australia having enough time to win the test with only a day and half or so left would be small. Whereas South Africa could bowl Australia out very cheaply in the second innings, as they did in the 47 test, and chase down the total. In this situation only a South Africa win and a draw would be the likely result.

The basic point is to wait until South Africa have batted to assess the both sides chances of victory. And besides Nicholas at times, the commentary has been superb.

In regards to the OP, I would actually be surprised if it was Pollock - as he seems to be the best of them, IMO.

I saw Darryl Cullinan after Day 1, saying Australia held no advantage in the game (331-3 at the time). I also saw "Pommie" and some other moron talking rubbish and pro-SA propoganda soon after the rain came yesterday. It was probably one of them. Pommie in particular is a shockingly inaccurate and biased commentator.

In reality they're probably on a par with Slater and Healy, just makes it a lot harder when the shoe's on the other foot.

Pommie is their version of Healy/Slats. His buffoonery is actually growing on me.

Pommie is their version of Healy/Slats. His buffoonery is actually growing on me.

Who is he anyway ?
He's been on the commentary for a few years.Did he play for SA ?
At least he finally got rid of those shitty looking dreadlocks he had for years.
The reat aren't bad but your description of Pommy is spot on.

Who is he anyway ?
He's been on the commentary for a few years.Did he play for SA ?
At least he finally got rid of those shitty looking dreadlocks he had for years.
The reat aren't bad but your description of Pommy is spot on.

Played for Zimbabwe - OK fast medium bowler nothing stunning, as a batsman made McGrath look like Michael Clarke

Played for Zimbabwe - OK fast medium bowler nothing stunning, as a batsman made McGrath look like Michael Clarke

Fringe player for Zim which tells you how good he was (not very)

Undoubtedly earning a fair quid more doing media. He seems to be the front line guy for their coverage too.

Some of the stuff he says is actually quite funny because he says it deadly seriously but is just complete nonsense.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The ABC Grandstand commentary has been great, always a treat to listen to the great Barry Richards even if some of his commentary ventures into "I don't know why just didn't smash that through the off side with ridiculous ease like I used to" territory. Jarrod Kimber has also been decent in his curious, quasi hipster way.

Was the 'other moron' Mark Boucher maybe? I seem to remember him trying to talk up South Africa'a chances after the rain came - he didn't look as confident as he was trying to sound though and seemed peed off when the Pommy bloke was praising the Aussies' efforts. Thought he was OK though (Boucher that is).

I didn't see s lot of the TV coverage but enjoyed the radio commentary. Kimber was OK at first but got on my nerves after a bit. My favourite was Peter Kirsten, has a cracking South African accent and is refreshingly un-PC!

ABC/BBC: I would happily listen to these guys commentate cricket in heaven.
Boycott aside both teams have been excellent this past 12 months.
Looking at the non aussies: In the Ashes, Vaughan, Aggers, Blowers, Mann...All great.
Recently, Richards, Kirsten, Manthorp and de **** were a delight.
Maxwell is of course number one.

Sky/Nine/Supersport: Awful. Inane chat, extended silence when losing, hyperbole when winning, just general pandering to the masses.

Im genuinely baffled as to why they are so far apart in quality..

Last edited:
Was the 'other moron' Mark Boucher maybe? I seem to remember him trying to talk up South Africa'a chances after the rain came - he didn't look as confident as he was trying to sound though and seemed peed off when the Pommy bloke was praising the Aussies' efforts. Thought he was OK though (Boucher that is).

I didn't see a lot of the TV coverage but enjoyed the radio commentary. Kimber was OK at first but got on my nerves after a bit. My favourite was Peter Kirsten, has a cracking South African accent and is refreshingly un-PC!

That must have been a slip of the tongue by Pollock, he didn't seem too bad. Boucher is so biased it's unprofessional and not amusing at all. He always did have a big mouth as a player, ridiculous media quotes etc, like Warner. They've always been homies. I remember Allan Donald asking 'Why can't we beat the Australians'. BECAUSE WE ARE ****ING BETTER THAN YOU!

Remove this Banner Ad

South African Supersport Commentary

Remove this Banner Ad

Back