Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

The passive aggressive posts from Hobart aren’t helping. Continually stating things such as “calling contracted players” will not help the situation.
Did Hobart make the contracted Richmond players go back?
I understand the president is a lawyer but I’ll give you some ‘footy law’ advice. Play the hardline with the players that have left and not only will your position be untenable but your club will be gone forever.
The cold hard truth is Hobart don’t field any youth teams so to exist you literally rely on taking players from other clubs.

It could be argued Hobart hinder clubs that do put in juniors by stealing players straight out of 18s and then paying them money to walk into a senior team. They have done this for years now so don’t expect a North Hobart, Clarence or Lauderdale to send players back there.

That applies to the whole Old Scholars competition as well.

They do nothing to grow junior development for themselves or anyone else.

^ Old Scholars is notorious for it!
Some waster tried to tell me once that they don't get paid in that league, once I stopped having a coughing fit from laughing I had to walk away.
Bowden took half of Glenorchy with him to SVC and left them in the state theyre in now, can't tell me they'd be on little $$.
How many clubs now has Gilmour been at that have been ruined? Richmond, Hobart, Brighton?
Bit of a track record.
How much did Claremont get beat by SVC last night? Heard Brighton got a 50 odd point touchup by DOSA last night out at Brighton.

Some waster tried to tell me once that they don't get paid in that league, once I stopped having a coughing fit from laughing I had to walk away.
Bowden took half of Glenorchy with him to SVC and left them in the state theyre in now, can't tell me they'd be on little $$.
How many clubs now has Gilmour been at that have been ruined? Richmond, Hobart, Brighton?
Bit of a track record.
How much did Claremont get beat by SVC last night? Heard Brighton got a 50 odd point touchup by DOSA last night out at Brighton.
About 40 points I heard

Bit of a track record.
Interesting that someone would say that since there's always been talk of bigger money being tossed about, if that's at all true never knew anything just heard a lot of people talking never had anyone actually prove anything. But you'd think whatever the case they're at least earning something since a lot have dropped from the TSL to the Old Scholars.

⚡️WILL CLEELAND TO THE PORT 2023⚡

Cygnet are more than delighted to welcome Will Cleeland to the club as The Playing Midfeild Coach for season 2023!

Hailing from King Island, Will has played football all across the country, from the NEAFL, to multiple clubs in Victoria, along with winning best and fairests at both Grassy Football Club on King Island and the Kingborough Tigers in the TSL.

With hundred of games of senior experience, Will is an exciting midfielder who will provide plenty of run, along with excellent leadership and goal kicking ability.

We can’t wait to see what he brings in season 2023!

#supporttheport2023

From the Cygnet Facebook page.

I've heard unconfirmed reports but it looks like it's all over for the Hobart Tigers.
Sad if true. Feel very sorry for the longtimers up there that gave it everything to keep it going through all the bad years.
You'd expect there'll be an announcement during the next week or so.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The state of play is that even if Hobart fold there are still not enough players to go around.
Hobart will field a team due to public sentiment imo and the can will continue to be kicked further down the road.

If not they have a masters team which is more then some previous clubs have.

Sandy Bay juniors have no seniors and Hobart seniors have no juniors. Until ridiculous stuff like this is rectified nothing will ever change.

They've got Schultz and Matthew Armstrong going to their training I think it was Monday? as well, so be interesting to see how that goes.

Any idea if the managers of AFLTas's own league, the TSL, have offered any such support & help to Glenorchy? Or indeed to NHFC when they were struggling to recover from the forced name change & amalgamation with Hobart?

Apart from some useless platitudes in the newspaper of course.

What is the priority for these wasters & AFLTas anyway???

I've heard unconfirmed reports but it looks like it's all over for the Hobart Tigers.
Sad if true. Feel very sorry for the longtimers up there that gave it everything to keep it going through all the bad years.
Where did you hear this report from?

Have heard a whisper (don’t know how reliable it is) that Cassidy is playing for campaina this season ? Anyone heard this ?

Also on Hobart, what happened to the premiership colts side from a few years back where did the players go ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

Have heard a whisper (don’t know how reliable it is) that Cassidy is playing for campaina this season ? Anyone heard this ?

Also on Hobart, what happened to the premiership colts side from a few years back where did the players go ?

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com
The colts division is such a bad standard that you can have a few players turn up and be the best team no matter what. They were a bunch of ring ins.
For example they got a few players that could play from Hobart City due to not wanting to train or behave in the right way to be TSL players. Shock/horror their behaviour went with them and they didn’t end up having careers at Hobart either.

Don’t judge junior football on premierships judge junior football on the amount of 100 game senior players it produces.

Any idea if the managers of AFLTas's own league, the TSL, have offered any such support & help to Glenorchy? Or indeed to NHFC when they were struggling to recover from the forced name change & amalgamation with Hobart?

Apart from some useless platitudes in the newspaper of course.

What is the priority for these wasters & AFLTas anyway???
I’ve not seen anything for either, but maybe they did something and we didn’t see it.

I think unless there's a large influx of players at Monday evening's training session the likelihood is the club will go into recess for a season, not close down altogether.
Yesterday's session I would estimate there were around 10 or so players, not enough.
Tellingly, there were very few supporters there to offer support, only the same old faces.
Most of them were over 70 years of age, probably twenty at best.
To even put a side into the reserve grade competition, you would need around 30-35 players to accommodate for injuries, unavailabilty due to work/family etc (last year Hobart had twenty-six players out with longer-term injuries).
Hobart could top up with players from the Master Rules as what happened last year but the reality is, most of these blokes are over 40 and having to play every second Sunday on top of playing SFL Reserves, you have to be extremely wary of burning these guys out and damaging their own setup and the club is cognisant of that.

I have it on very good authority that the number of player registrations at senior level in Tasmania is down by approximately 250 from this time twelve months ago.
That's a staggering amount.
How many have they lost at junior level?
People may laugh and snicker and lay the boots in to Hobart (and Claremont not long back) but they should also be looking over their shoulder because their club could be next! Won't take much.
So much of what is posted on Bigfooty is so factually incorrect it's actually quite laughable at times and could even be excused for being Betoota Advocate articles.
I could say a LOT more but it is not for public consumption at this time.
I do know that the club were about to sign a high profile coach and his son-in-law (an ex-Tiger) as assistant coach but he tragically died suddenly the same week.
Whilst it's disappointing, it is what it is and the club will eventually regroup and go again.

All bar around four or five of those players actually quit playing footy altogether after winning that premiership.
Their attitude was that that group had mostly all played their footy together growing up and decided to bow out of footy after winning a flag together.
Mark Cripps played around 40 senior games before moving to SA for Uni, Lachie Plummer played a few games but wasted his talent that he had, ended up playing a few games at Claremont last year but never really made anything of his potential.
Zane Awde played a few games here and there but he quit footy, Ivan Hovington was the same, think he ended up briefly playing reserves at Richmond at one point.
The ambition to go on and play senior footy seems to be lacking these days at junior level.

All bar around four or five of those players actually quit playing footy altogether after winning that premiership.
Their attitude was that that group had mostly all played their footy together growing up and decided to bow out of footy after winning a flag together.
Mark Cripps played around 40 senior games before moving to SA for Uni, Lachie Plummer played a few games but wasted his talent that he had, ended up playing a few games at Claremont last year but never really made anything of his potential.
Zane Awde played a few games here and there but he quit footy, Ivan Hovington was the same, think he ended up briefly playing reserves at Richmond at one point.
The ambition to go on and play senior footy seems to be lacking these days at junior level.
There was a lot of talk that there were some TSL sides that were very keen on Hovington as well, a lot of people were talking him up greatly at the time and I was surprised that he didn't go onto play seniors and all.

I think that a lot of players seem to be finding themselves interstate now for different Uni courses, I remember that Glenorchy were scrambling to find Paul Hamilton some work and such to remain in the state but he ended up disappearing which was sad for us.

People may laugh and snicker and lay the boots in to Hobart (and Claremont not long back) but they should also be looking over their shoulder because their club could be next! Won't take much.

Just have to look at how Glenorchy has been struggling for players as well to know that it's a real possibility that any team could go into recess at any point. There really should be a lot of alarm bells ringing around AFL Tasmania about the plight of these teams, and figuring out what they're going to do to try and keep players not just at these clubs, but in the state as well, or even attracting some players back into the state to pull on the boots for their local sides after things come to a close on their interstate or AFL careers (depending on which way they go in the future obviously.)

I know a fair few from the TSL, and some in the past from the SFL as well have done interstate for either work, or study. There's also an allure for some to try and get their shot at an AFL career so some will head interstate to the bigger leagues to get bigger exposure as well. So we need to be looking at what we can do to make this league, and the SFL attractive for people to want to participate in.

There was a lot of talk that there were some TSL sides that were very keen on Hovington as well, a lot of people were talking him up greatly at the time and I was surprised that he didn't go onto play seniors and all.

I think that a lot of players seem to be finding themselves interstate now for different Uni courses, I remember that Glenorchy were scrambling to find Paul Hamilton some work and such to remain in the state but he ended up disappearing which was sad for us.
Hovington topped the goalkicking in the Colts from memory, but his fitness wasn't great and eventually he played a senior game and got poleaxed, can't think who it was against now.
He was injured for quite some time.
His old man was a top bloke.
Mark Yeates was another in the Hamilton boat, his sales rep job at Schweppes was canned when they began cost cutting so he resigned after the siren at the 1992 TFL Grand Final.
I think work gets in the way for a lot of the young blokes these days too.

Hovington topped the goalkicking in the Colts from memory, but his fitness wasn't great and eventually he played a senior game and got poleaxed, can't think who it was against now.
He was injured for quite some time.
His old man was a top bloke.
Mark Yeates was another in the Hamilton boat, his sales rep job at Schweppes was canned when they began cost cutting so he resigned after the siren at the 1992 TFL Grand Final.
I think work gets in the way for a lot of the young blokes these days too.
I've seen a few that have been unable to train and play due to their work commitments, a relative of mine left Glenorchy because his job was affecting his ability to play senior footy. Not sure if the job thing changed as he played a lot of senior footy in the SFL for two different clubs. I know a guy at Claremont who ended up giving up footy because of work, he tried to get on at another club but ended up giving it away fully because he wasn't able to commit due to work.

I cannot fully remember what Paul Hamilton wanted to get into, it was something with fisharies I think I could very well be wrong but it was something that he couldn't get into in Tassie so he had to accept something in another state. There were strong rumours that Mark Harvey was going to come in as his replacement never happened, but there was talk of it.

Before Hamilton, Karl Langdon had written an article about how he was approached by Glenorchy to be their coach, which the club denied.

But it is sad when you lose some players due to work commitments.

Remove this Banner Ad

Southern Football League (Tas) Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Back